IMG_8356_(resized).JPG
IMG_8355_(resized).JPG
IMG_8354_(resized).JPG
IMG_8353_(resized).JPG
IMG_8351_(resized).JPG
IMG_8350_(resized).JPG
IMG_8352_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

I recently was able to pick up a 1976 Williams Blue Chip pinball machine - best part was that it was free. One of my friends parents had it in their basement growing up and a few years ago I asked if they ever fixed the machine and if they didn't - did they want to get rid of it?He asked and they said no initially but a couple weeks ago I got a text saying they wanted to get it out of their basement. I was able to pick it up a couple days later. Like I said, it wasn't working and was missing the back glass but I was looking for a little project and thought this would be a great way to get into pinball.

The machine is in decent shape. It defiantly has some wear to it but it appeared that everything was there mechanically. I started by doing some initial searches about the machine and looking potential things that could be wrong. Checked the fuses and they're good. Searched for broken connections - none. I unplugged every connection, cleaned and plugged it back it. There was a flicker of light. I jiggled the cord again, another flicker. I plugged it in once more and it light up and stayed on. I've played a couple games and from what I can tell everything is working just fine. I picked up a refurb kit off eBay and I plan to replace the power cord and do some additional cleaning. The backglass is long gone. I might try and recreate one in photoshop and have it printed. Something would be better than nothing (unless someone knows of one for sale).

I've been wanting a pinball machine for a few years now and I'm happy I lucked out with a machine that didn't need tons of work.

Here is a link to a timelapse I shot playing last night: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCS3U_cRwXN/?taken-by=sjleto

IMG_8352_(resized).JPGIMG_8352_(resized).JPG

IMG_8350_(resized).JPGIMG_8350_(resized).JPG

IMG_8351_(resized).JPGIMG_8351_(resized).JPG

IMG_8353_(resized).JPGIMG_8353_(resized).JPG

IMG_8354_(resized).JPGIMG_8354_(resized).JPG

IMG_8355_(resized).JPGIMG_8355_(resized).JPG

IMG_8356_(resized).JPGIMG_8356_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

great grab, I am never that lucky

#3 8 years ago

http://bgresto.com and you will have a nice game for about $250 and a little elbow grease.

#4 8 years ago

Just recently found a "Blue Chip" myself. I've been working on it the last few weeks. My backglass is a little flaky, but reasonably good. It was missing the back door on the head and had no paperwork or cash box.
It's almost finished, and will be a very nice example when I'm done. I'll probably be offering it for sale and if it isn't sold by then, I'll be bringing it to the Allentown show.
Great find, and welcome to Pinside!

20160224_195854_(resized).jpg20160224_195854_(resized).jpg

20160214_165342_(resized).jpg20160214_165342_(resized).jpg

20160210_171313_(resized).jpg20160210_171313_(resized).jpg

20160210_171328_(resized).jpg20160210_171328_(resized).jpg

20160210_171220_(resized).jpg20160210_171220_(resized).jpg

20160210_173533_(resized).jpg20160210_173533_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

Ironically, Blue Chip was my first pin too. 40 pins later I'm still going strong!

#6 8 years ago

Will http://bgresto.com create one from scratch or do I need to have the original from them to work from?

Your machine looks really clean. I'm hoping to get mine looking similar to yours someday.

I'm glad this is my first pin. The theme is interesting but still really cool. I've always thought I wanted to get a newer electronic machine but I think the EM is way cooler now that I have it.

#7 8 years ago

Blue Chip is a good solid fun Williams game, so congrats!

As far as bgresto.com they will need the actual glass to copy or a High resolution scan from one which cost me $100.00 for a front and back scan if they do not have a copy in their files.

Ken

#9 8 years ago

Post a WTB (want to buy)ad here on pinside and someone might have one laying around.... You might want to add your location to profile too.

Dan

#10 8 years ago

BGresto has already done a blue chip so you should be able to purchase one even though you don't have a back glass

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from sjleto:

Your machine looks really clean. I'm hoping to get mine looking similar to yours someday.

Yeah, but these are "after" photos. I cleaned and polished everything on the machine and rebuilt the chime unit. I just need to reassemble a few things and reinstall the side rails. Mechanically, it should all work. Installed new flipper coils and links. I'm thinking it has fairly low plays, but the meter was disconnected early on for some reason. I reattached the wire, and it is working. It should play lightning fast!
I distinctly remember this title brand spankin' new at the local arcade back in the day. I probably was one of the first ten players on that game!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, but these are "after" photos. I cleaned and polished everything on the machine and rebuilt the chime unit. I just need to reassemble a few things and reinstall the side rails. Mechanically, it should all work. Installed new flipper coils and links. I'm thinking it has fairly low plays, but the meter was disconnected early on for some reason. I reattached the wire, and it is working. It should play lightning fast!
I distinctly remember this title brand spankin' new at the local arcade back in the day. I probably was one of the first ten players on that game!

Hey Chiselnuts, that Ford Pinto is MINT, hey nobody turns a wrench like you.

#13 8 years ago

Even a Ford Pinto can be fun. I'm glad this job is winding down though.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from sjleto:

I recently was able to pick up a 1976 Williams Blue Chip pinball machine - best part was that it was free. One of my friends parents had it in their basement growing up and a few years ago I asked if they ever fixed the machine and if they didn't - did they want to get rid of it?He asked and they said no initially but a couple weeks ago I got a text saying they wanted to get it out of their basement. I was able to pick it up a couple days later. Like I said, it wasn't working and was missing the back glass but I was looking for a little project and thought this would be a great way to get into pinball.
The machine is in decent shape. It defiantly has some wear to it but it appeared that everything was there mechanically. I started by doing some initial searches about the machine and looking potential things that could be wrong. Checked the fuses and they're good. Searched for broken connections - none. I unplugged every connection, cleaned and plugged it back it. There was a flicker of light. I jiggled the cord again, another flicker. I plugged it in once more and it light up and stayed on. I've played a couple games and from what I can tell everything is working just fine. I picked up a refurb kit off eBay and I plan to replace the power cord and do some additional cleaning. The backglass is long gone. I might try and recreate one in photoshop and have it printed. Something would be better than nothing (unless someone knows of one for sale).
I've been wanting a pinball machine for a few years now and I'm happy I lucked out with a machine that didn't need tons of work.
Here is a link to a timelapse I shot playing last night: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCS3U_cRwXN/?taken-by=sjleto

IMG_8352_(resized).JPGIMG_8350_(resized).JPGIMG_8351_(resized).JPGIMG_8353_(resized).JPGIMG_8354_(resized).JPGIMG_8355_(resized).JPGIMG_8356_(resized).JPG

Hey, I just noticed that your game has white flippers. Vic Camp's does also. Mine are red ( I just installed them).

#15 8 years ago

I got more info from http://bgresto.com and that seems like a pretty good deal for the back glass. I will probably order one of those up in a few weeks. I received the refurb kit off eBay and replaced all of the dead lightbulbs, springs, ball and all of the bumpers - cleaned all the pieces while installing. It came with a little game polish too so I applied that and leveled the machine. When I plugged it in and started playing there was a loud buzzing noise. The second dial seemed to be stuck/running slowly but would stop if I pushed in both flippers. I unplugged the machine and was able to figured out that the spinning targets where not spinning freely and were getting semi stuck on - I loosened those and everything is working correctly now. I feel like the game plays a lot faster now - it does seem more "spring-ing" with the bumpers. I'm excited to order that glass in a couple weeks and have some friends over to play.

#16 8 years ago

Good deal.

Make sure to wax the playfield with a couple coats for protection. I use Johnson Paste Wax as it has no cleaners and is made for wood and is not expensive. Available at Home depot or Lowes.

Ken

JPW_(resized).JPGJPW_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#17 8 years ago

Vic Camp's Blue Chip is BEAUTIFUL and I got a crazy high score on it, like 8 or 9 hundred thousand something if I remember correctly (3 credits given). Fun game, although I haven't been there in a while!

Love the openness and layout of the playfield as well as the BEAUTIFUL art.

Wow, I just used a giant "BEAUTIFUL" twice in a post by accident. Oops!

#18 8 years ago

First pin for free! Awesome! Welcome and enjoy. I'm going to pick up my first pins tomorrow, sadly they were not free lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-post-first-pinball-williams-blue-chip?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.