Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Beebl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Just picked up my first machine - Fish Tales in what I would call decent condition. Lots of fading on the side decals but not scratched or torn so I can live with that easily. Some dings and wear but nothing broken and all parts intact and in place as far as I call tell. I do NEED to replace all rubber, drying up and very grey. BUT, what I would like to know a few things>

1. There are many bulbs out - Should I even hesitate changing all out to new led's instead of replacing the 25 burnt out incandescent?

2. I see there is new software and sound upgrades out there that is "updated", is this worth it and did new software fix any problems?

3. My playfield is in good shape, other than some simple "light soapy water" or a bit of simple green and a microfibre cloth to clean all the grey dust stuck to the ball roll path, should I add anything to the playfield after?

4. I need a few parts - start button, flipper buttons, I understand that the right flipper gets a bit laggy from the previous owner, although It has not happened to me yet, is that a new flipper coil needed? Is there a best guy in Canada for purchasing these parts? I see the pinballheavenuk claims to have the best/cheapest led upgrade.

I am in telecommunications and have the skills to complete many tasks, so not afraid of getting in there

Thank you to anyone for some advice!! Kevin.

#2 7 years ago

3 - Novus 2, then a couple coats of a good automotive carnauba wax.
2 - Yes.
4 - new coil sleeve, new coil stop, new plunger assembly. Clean the flipper button optos with a damp Q-Tip or something. And your game will flip like new.
1 - up to you if you want incadescent or LEDs or a mix of both. I'd check if you have a GI string out, could be a fuse or connector burn, lower left area of the power driver board in the head.

Welcome Kevin, a Mark Ritchie pin is a good way to start your pinball experience !

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Read Vid's guides on cleaning/waxing playfield and rebuilding flippers. I would rebuild both.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Abrasive products like Novus 2 should be used as a last resort. Vid's guide covers the steps going from least aggressive to more aggressive. I would never use Novus 3 as suggested in your other thread.

#4 7 years ago

Great game. I am on my 3rd. I keep selling it and then missing it.
Welcome to the hobby

#5 7 years ago

Congrats on a great first pin, and be careful or it will multiply!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-post-first-pin-fish-tales-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.