IMG_9724_(Medium).JPG
IMG_9722_(Medium).JPG
IMG_9722_(Medium).JPG
IMG_9721_(Medium).JPG
IMG_9719_(Medium).JPG
IMG_9715_(Medium).JPG
#1 12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for posting in the Buying and Selling forum for my first post. I have been a fan of pinball machines for as long as I can remember, being disappointed when an arcade didn't have any. I preferred to play them to arcade games.

There's a very poorly maintained (eg - not maintained) Addams Family machine near me that I am interested in buying. It seems to need a lot of work. Obvious problems are heavy playfield wear, flipper sticking (solenoid?), and missing a plunger. Another thing I noticed about the machine is that it did a ball search as the ball was sitting down in the plunger lane. Isn't there a pin here, normally, to detect that the ball is there? Additionally, when it does the ball search, i thought Thing's hand came out to see if a ball was stuck in the vault hole? That didn't happen on this machine. I have no way of opening and testing it.

I know it's in rough shape, I just want an idea of what you all would offer the guy who has made comments like "it's been through the ringer" and "it's wore out" but also said "I think I'll hold onto them." He even said "the pinball machines I have left are pretty much parts machines."

A little history: He used to work for the gentleman who owned the business, but then when that fellow decided to focus more on DJ equipment and less on arcade machines, he sold off the "arcade unit" to the current owner. He does have a business name, but does not have a website or anything. I plan to offer him cash.

Please give me your thoughts, and thank you for your time in helping my dream of owning a pinball come true. I never thought I'd come across an Addams Family machine that (MIGHT) be in my price range.

Thanks Again!

IMG_9715_(Medium).JPGIMG_9715_(Medium).JPG IMG_9719_(Medium).JPGIMG_9719_(Medium).JPG IMG_9721_(Medium).JPGIMG_9721_(Medium).JPG IMG_9722_(Medium).JPGIMG_9722_(Medium).JPG IMG_9722_(Medium).JPGIMG_9722_(Medium).JPG IMG_9724_(Medium).JPGIMG_9724_(Medium).JPG

#2 12 years ago

I've posted the photos on Picasa - that's probably easier than having them on here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104303923977368392376/TAF

This would be my first pinball. Veterans: please tell me if I am crazy for wanting to take this on.

#3 12 years ago

You're crazy for taking this on as your first machine, just my 2 cents.

I sold mine that was pretty much mint for 3500CAN.

Not sure value of this but it looks like ALOT of work for a noob...but fixing them is half the fun IMO..

I'd guess 1000-1500 maybe...but that's a total guess...playfields are around 1000 if you wanted to do a swap. Probably needs alot mechanical/electrical work obviously too...

#4 12 years ago

I am sure it does, considering how little it has been maintained.

A few other notes. Yes, the lower bumper plastics are broken (as usual, on these machines at least). The bookcase plastic that says "To open bookcase for shot to vault spell GREED." I think that was a stock plastic, but not positive.

#5 12 years ago

Plastics are the least of your worries They are available out there, and easy to replace.

It's a great game, I kinda wish I never sold mine, it was my first ever pin...

#6 12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that $1000 was a good price, but I'll probably offer him $700.

Would MOST operators (even lesser knowledgeable ones) laugh in my face at an offer like that, or is there some hope?

#7 12 years ago

Wow, that thing is rough. I wouldn't go more than $1000.

#8 12 years ago

I don't think the guy knows much about the specific machines - he certainly doesn't have a passion for them as they aren't maintained at all. ALL THREE of the machines were like this. There was a Terminator 2 with a lame flipper (getting stuck and just plain weak), and a Hook machine that was playable (though I don't find Hook much fun), and it too had a weak flipper.

#9 12 years ago

Thanks for the input GoneFishin. Do you think it'd be WORTH the effort at that price, or should I just save my money and buy a shopped or average TAF? I'd really like to learn about how these machines work (I know nothing but what I've read so far), and would enjoy the experience of working on it.

I think that if I can get it for $1000, it could be sold (down the road - if I ever chose to) for $2500-$3000 or so.

I don't expect it to take that much money to get it looking and working well again.

When I was a kid, this was (and I'd have to say probably still is) my favorite machine. I'll admit, though, I've not gotten much or any play time on machines like Indiana Jones, TZ, MB, Midevil Madness, etc.

#10 12 years ago

It needs a new playfield for sure, so that puts it up to $2000 right there. Then if it needs new boards, DMD, plastics, etc. you easily have $2500 or more into it. You could put A LOT of work into it and probably make a few hundred bucks, so if you're into it for the money it's a losing proposition. BUT, if it's a labor of love for you and you'll get a lot a satisfaction from resurrecting a dead pin, then I say go for it!

#11 12 years ago

You wipe that TAF down and it would sell in a flash for 1800.00 ! Heck put a 75.00 mansion overlay on it and sell it for 2500.00 easy! If you can buy it for a grand, do it !

I have a TAF with a new PF installed and nice original cabinet and it is valued at 4500.00 ..

Good Luck

Jim

#12 12 years ago

I'm not familiar with "DMD."

I know the machine turns on, sound works fine, display works fine, etc. I know that there could still be problems with some of the boards. I saw a playfield on here for $420 used in the marketplace. It seemed to be in good shape but the ad said it could use a restoration.

Thank you, all, for your inputs so far.

#13 12 years ago

Most operators I've "tried" to deal with want WAY more money, even in beat condition..

My advice is to get a working machine as your first, otherwise you may be turned off by the hobby very quickly. Then as your second get something for a project....

#14 12 years ago

Don't count on just "fixing" the game and getting $2500. You may spend $2000 getting it back up to speed. Ramps are $160, playfield $1200, side art $250 - stuff adds up fast!

#15 12 years ago

Thanks again for the replies. I don't count on a huge profit, but it'd be nice to have some wiggle room.

Understood Tom, and your advice is appreciated.

#16 12 years ago

If this is your first pin you may want to reconsider. Learning how to fix machines is something best learned gradually. I agree with tom you might end up hating the hobby if you start out this way. My suggestion is to get a pin in decent working order.

What most people don't understand is that you will need to put in some work just to maintain them. I have heard people even say well I'm going to just buy another that is working good that way I won't have to mess with it. That never seems to be the case. These machines require work if you want them running 100% and you play them a decent amount.

#17 12 years ago

Don't count on any profit at all. You are going to lose money, but (maybe) enjoy the restore process.

Even if you only make $25 and hour, you are going to have 100 hours + $2000 in parts to get that machine going again.

#18 12 years ago

caturday

caturday.jpgcaturday.jpg

#19 12 years ago

Well, sorry to waste yall's time.

I called the guy and left a message. I explained my findings. No plunger, thing hand seemed broken, flipper not working properly, etc. Said this was my favorite childhood machine and I was really interested in it.

Well, he called me back and told me that I caught him at a bad time and that he knows they're in bad shape and he's embarrassed about it but not to "dog my damn machines" and that I "need to mind my business."

I told him I was sorry and that he said himself yesterday that it'd been "through the ringer" and that it was "WORE out" and I thought he was dogging them himself. I wished him luck.

What a JERK! : sigh :

Probably for the best, though.

Thanks again for all of the inputs!

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't count on just "fixing" the game and getting $2500. You may spend $2000 getting it back up to speed. Ramps are $160, playfield $1200, side art $250 - stuff adds up fast!

Well said stuff adds up fast. $1000 for machine, $1200 for playfield (if you can find one) $200 new plastics, $250 side art, $150 new playfield switches, $100 new legs, $125 cliffys, $100 LEDs, $160 ramps, $500 misc, 200-300 hrs of your labor not including research on internet.

Really nice ones can be found between 3000-4000. Maybe spend one day driving to get it.

I do a little restoring but I owned some working games first. I get it I love renovating pins .....that's just one giant step.

#21 12 years ago

I'm sure he'll be posting a recently shopped supernice addams family add for 4K on craigslist soon

#22 12 years ago

That game is easily worth a grand. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

#23 12 years ago

It's a no go, sadly. The guy got really angry when he called back to return my voicemail.

Quoted from tomspinball:

Well, he called me back and told me that I caught him at a bad time and that he knows they're in bad shape and he's embarrassed about it but not to "dog my damn machines" and that I "need to mind my business."

I told him I was sorry and that he said himself yesterday that it'd been "through the ringer" and that it was "WORE out" and I thought he was dogging them himself. I wished him luck.

What a JERK! : sigh :

#24 12 years ago

Really terrible attitude when I want to dump quarter after quarter into an Addams Family machine and make some operator money!

#25 12 years ago

Hahah this is awesome, this sums up most of the operators I've dealt with around here. Thx for the laugh..

"Well, he called me back and told me that I caught him at a bad time and that he knows they're in bad shape and he's embarrassed about it but not to "dog my damn machines" and that I "need to mind my business."

#26 12 years ago

it'll buff out.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

I'm sure he'll be posting a recently shopped supernice Addams Family add for 4K on craigslist soon

It will sell too.. Maybe not 4k but in the 3k range wouldn't surprise me .

I could take that machine and in 10 hrs off work, blow your mind on how good it would look.

Almost all machines that we all cherish were routed beaters .

Sorry the deal fell though.

Jim

#28 12 years ago

Thanks again, anyway, guys. Maybe the jerk will call me back one day when he's even more desperate for money.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from tomspinball:

Thanks again, anyway, guys. Maybe the jerk will call me back one day when he's even more desperate for money.

"Jerk" might be too harsh of a word.

I used to run a coin op route, and I've got to tell you that 99% of the phone calls from people wanting to buy a machine were a total waste of my time.

Our phone number used to be on a sticker on the backglass or medallion on every game. You always wanted your number to be prominent, so someone would call you the moment a problem occurred.

Typical call:

Guy: Hey, I want to buy that Stargate machine you have at Max's! I've called you 2 times.
Me: OK, $1500.
Guy: $1500????? Have you seen the condition of that thing lately?
Me: Yep, I saw it Monday when I took $150 from the box.
Guy: Yeah, I mean someone scratched their initials in the side, and there are cigarette burns all over the control panel (believe it or not, you used to be able to smoke in bars and arcades).
Me: Yep, I've seen it.
Guy: Well you can't tell me its worth $1500 with all that damage.
Me: All that stuff is cosmetic. It obviously has not stopped anyone from putting money into it.
Guy: Still, I was thinking $400 or something.
Me: Guy, that machine makes me $400 every 3 weeks. Why would I sell it for that?
Guy: I dunno, I was hoping....
Me: Tell you what, I've got a Defender I'll sell you for $400.
Guy: No, I wanted something current.
Me: OK, thanks for the call.

This scenario would repeat itself sometimes several times a day.

If you want to take one last stab at the game: Call and leave a message that you want to give the guy $700 cash for the machine. Tell him you will come with cash, a trailer, and an extra guy.

If he does not call you back, don't take it personal....

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Jerk" might be too harsh of a word.

Sorry it being the holidays and all made me think of this.

#31 12 years ago

There is an Addams Family at a loan hut in my area, that looks almost identical to this one. Such a dog. DMD is blown out, playfield is ridiculously dirty and worn, inserts are all toast, cab is in terrible shape, no keys to get into the machine, etc... Guy wants $3500 for it, and wont take a penny less. He has been listing it for sale for going on 5 years now.

#32 12 years ago

Unbelievable, gambit3113.

vid1900 - Understood, totally. I can understand that would be frustrating. I was thinking $700-$1000 was a good offer for the machine. It is not functional to the point that anyone who loves pinball would dump quarters into it. One flipper is getting stuck, missing plunger, thing doesn't appear to work, etc.

All three of the machines at this location are worn to the point that it affects game play. To be truthful, I'd have not even THOUGHT about buying it had the machines been in reasonable working order. I'd have enjoyed the paltry .25 per game cost to play. Yes, they are set to a quarter only. Since I couldn't play it, though, it made me angry and upset and I decided I wanted to fix it myself since the guy either doesn't care or doesn't have the resources or time.

I honestly wasn't worried about the time associated with the restoration, and I have seen a used playfield on here recently for a reasonable $420. I'll admit, though, some of you have scared me a bit with the "buy a working pin first" comments.

I know where the machine is located. I'll let it sit there and collect dust. The bowling alley has $1 games on Wednesdays, so I'll go bowl 3 games and check the status of the machine each week. If in a month or two he still hasn't fixed it, I'll call him and try the $700. To me, even in THIS condition, a TAF machine is worth that. I could be totally wrong, though.

#33 12 years ago

PS - I didn't mean to offend any operators, but I was trying to be polite with the guy. I said it was in horrible shape because it is. I'm not going to put lipstick on a pig. Please don't take offense, operators.

I don't feel as if I am trying to offer $500 for a cactus canyon or anything dumb like that.

#34 12 years ago

If the guy is already irrated now. Your chances of getting it have become slim to none now. Just tryng more and more will just irrate him more and more. The only chance you have now is to wait a month or so and have a buddy call and see if you can work a deal through a friend working the deal for you without him knowing its you. Otherwise you will probably never get it.

#35 12 years ago

Very fine line to negotiate a sell by pointing out problems with the machine. It needs to be done so the seller knows that a routed machine should not command a collector's price, but it can be tricky as not to say it is junk he is selling and offend him. Very hard to straddle that line.

I think it could clean up nice, if you got it for a nice price. Lots of parts available for it. Don't know if I would replace the playfield as I have seen mansion overlays make a playfield look super nice. One of my best friends has a mansion overlay and it is hard to tell unless you get real close. Cliffy's protect and cover many of the wear spots.

A lot of the fun is fixing them up.

#36 12 years ago

Don't get a project game as your first! Things will break well enough on their own. Then you will learn how to fix them at a regular pace. This sounds and looks like a train wreck. Plenty of AF games out there. To tell you the truth, I played a lot of them when I got into pins and the game didn't really do much for me. Maybe I was playing some duds, but just never could bring myself to pay what they are going for these days. Grab a Jurassic Park instead that is working for around $1400. I think a thing hand motor alone would set you back some serious cash. I know nostalgia is a big motivator, but take your time and look around. You might not get the best deal out there, but you will get a working game that will make you want to stick with this hobby. Nothing worse than looking at a game that you can't play (I have one). A game in that condition would make me wonder about the boards too. Replace those and you are going to be way underwater. Just my opinion. Let people here know where you are located and I bet someone can find you a better deal. You might also try Mr. Pinball classifieds. Good luck on your first pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 159.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 1,059.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-post-addams-family-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.