Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by StratDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 42 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Medusa_Playfield_GI.jpg
Zipper_Latch_Spring.JPG
Zipper_Plastic_Latch_closed.jpg
Zipper_Plastic_Latch_touching.jpg
Zipper_Plastic_Latch_open.jpg
Medusa_10PointSwitches.jpg
Medusa_SwitchMatrix_PF.jpg
Medusa_DT2_DT3_SDB.jpg
Medusa_DT2_DT3_PF.jpg
IMG_3549 (resized).JPG
IMG_3548 (resized).JPG
Medusa_SEB.jpg
IMG_3511 (1) (resized).JPG
IMG_3510 (resized).JPG
IMG_3509 (resized).JPG
IMG_3508 (resized).JPG

There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 11 days ago

I was diverted to a really long “honey do” list yesterday.

The drops are now working. It was just too tight behind the drops for some to release. I realigned the whole mechanism and sanded the openings lightly - a lot of clear coat drip - and all appears to be good.

I will report back after a few more honey dos today. Sleeping beauty is currently asleep so some quiet time this morning to work on the pin.

#152 10 days ago

Darn this thing!

I finally felt like it was time to move the pf back to the top brackets in the cabinet so I could play the first game. Now a few additional problems have developed.

The rear drops now set properly in game and when the pin is initially powered on, but do not all reset as they should in game

Game starts with center target up , it drops and the other correct targets raise, I drop those targets and no additional targets are set.

Right four drops do not reset in game, but do reset when pin is turned on.

The following switches are not registering - 48, 44, 36, 20, 12, 4.

So close and yet so far.

Robert

#153 10 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The rear drops now set properly in game and when the pin is initially powered on, but do not all reset as they should in game

Game starts with center target up , it drops and the other correct targets raise, I drop those targets and no additional targets are set.

Right four drops do not reset in game, but do reset when pin is turned on.

Your solenoid issues are likely due to switches not registering.

Quoted from StratDoc:

The following switches are not registering - 48, 44, 36, 20, 12, 4.

Switches 44, 36, 20, 12, and 4 are all on the same row in the switch matrix. This row also has switch 28 but you didn't mention that it's not working. What's the story with switch 28?
Have you made sure there's continuity on that switch row signal back to the MPU board?

A few posts ago you mentioned switch 48 and 46 not working. Is switch 46 working now?
Is switch 48 making proper contact when closed?

#154 9 days ago

Switches are now all registering. Left four bank drop is working fine. Drops across the top all register but do not reset after second sequence - first sequence center target up, second sequence two targets up - after completing the second sequence additional drops do not raise.

#155 9 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Switches are now all registering.

When you fix things, can you tell us what the problem was so we can understand where the source of the issues were?

Quoted from StratDoc:

Drops across the top all register but do not reset after second sequence - first sequence center target up, second sequence two targets up

This sounds suspiciously like you've still got switch issues with those top drop targets. If they're not resetting after you hit the round two sequence, one of those drop switches probably isn't registering properly.
When it happens in game, lift each of the top targets one by one and drop them back down to see if the game scores/registers them.

#156 9 days ago

I finally got the drops to work by adjusting switches.

I played one game - but then I started getting scoring issues. A single player game starts with both the first and the second player lit with a score of 0,000,005 on each display. As I play score randomly increase or decrease on both displays. Once the ball drains scores keep decreasing.

I will try to take a closer look in the morning and post back.

#157 8 days ago

So the display problem is related to the coin door. With the door open everything works fine, and I can play a game. With the coin door shut the first and second player displays post 000,005 and you cannot reliably start a game. Sometimes I can get it to start but game play results in the very odd scoring mentioned above on both first and second player displays.

#158 8 days ago

Check what happens when you close the coin door. The most common problem is the start button shorting with the ground, on the door.
Make sure that the switch is fully insulated from the press button. Also, the switch blades may be touching some metal parts of the lock bar system.
Raise the playfield, close the door and check carefully what is going on.

Yves

#159 8 days ago

This ^^^

#160 7 days ago

Thanks, Arcane. I checked the start button and it okay - insulated and not shorting to ground. I isolated the problem to the left side of the coin door but cannot see what is shorting. It is not the lock bar because the problem exits with it removed. If a raise the pf slightly the problem goes away. As a temp fix, I took a very thin sheet of plastic and laid it across the top of the left side of the coin door and coin slot mechanism.

On a positive note - with that issue temp fixed the pin works!!! Played my first couple of games and will post up a video today!

#161 7 days ago

Lost the two lights underneath the left flipper. Went ahead and replaced the sockets but that did not solve the problem. I cannot tell from the schematic where they originate.

#162 7 days ago

Lamp issue solved. Finally figured out that the lamp is controlled by the upper pf zipper flipper switch. A wire had come loose. Wierd design.

#163 7 days ago

Quench,

Here it is thanks to your patience and help! This was a bear. thank you for sticking in there with me. Learned a ton!!!

You are the greatest. It looks great sitting next to the Paragon.

#164 7 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Quench,
Here it is thanks to your patience and help! This was a bear. thank you for sticking in there with me. Learned a ton!!!
You are the greatest. It looks great sitting next to the Paragon.

Yeah Quench great of you to continue to help out here. Most people would've bailed. Learning along side the OP on this one in the even I ever have issues on my Medusa!

StratDoc..... just a tip... turn your phone sideways when you take video

#165 7 days ago

Congratulations to both you and Quench! Great combination - your perseverance and Quench's knowledge and patience. I recently acquired a Medusa with a few issues so this thread has been very interesting to me. I'm sure I will be returning to it at sometime in the future as it contains a ton of good information.

Great game to play. Challenge Medusa!

#166 7 days ago

May have spoke too soon. After a few games switch 18 has decided to show closed even though the actual switch is gapped appropriately. Double checked wiring and it is okay.

In game. switch 18 does not register and activating either flipper causes 10 points to score with same sound as you would get when 18 is activated.

Darn thing was playing great for about 20 games.

#167 6 days ago

It is definitely a switch matrix issue and not vibration. Holding the flippers up and pressing the flipper switch activates the 10 point score and sound.

I also have continuity from the mpu connector to both #18 switches.

#168 6 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

It is definitely a switch matrix issue and not vibration. Holding the flippers up and pressing the flipper switch activates the 10 point score and sound.

The flipper switches are not part of the switch matrix. What happens when you bang the playfield with your fist?

Quoted from StratDoc:

I also have continuity from the mpu connector to both #18 switches.

There's three #18 (10 point) switches, not two. Check the third one.
Medusa_10PointSwitches.jpg

#169 6 days ago

Continuity to the third one as well.

Banging on the pf does cause 10 points to register on occasion. However holding flippers up so there is no vibration and closing flipper switch also causes 10 points to register. Switch 18 will not register at all in game. Shows closed in diagnostics. Darn this pin.

SOLVED. I am an idiot. It was the top right switch 18 that was causing the problem.

On another note, I removed most of the capacitors on the switches. Good I idea to replace them or just leave off?

#170 6 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

It was the top right switch 18 that was causing the problem.

Cool.

Quoted from StratDoc:

On another note, I removed most of the capacitors on the switches. Good I idea to replace them or just leave off?

To be honest, I would replace the capacitors - when you have fast hits on standup targets and they're not recognised, that can get annoying.

#171 6 days ago

One smaller problem is the zipper flipper mechanism. The plastic catch will not stayed hooked on the metal tab attached to the solenoid. A couple of zipper flipper strokes and it jiggles loose. I am guessing it is worn. I could not see a way to adjust the tension so that it is tighter.

The right lane to the top of the playfield registers only on occasion. I have gapped the switches several times but still have not resolved the issue.

#172 5 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The right lane to the top of the playfield registers only on occasion. I have gapped the switches several times but still have not resolved the issue.

Have you cleaned the switch contacts?

Quoted from StratDoc:

One smaller problem is the zipper flipper mechanism. The plastic catch will not stayed hooked on the metal tab attached to the solenoid.

I don't know if these pictures help.
Maybe you're missing the spring on the back of the metal tab that latches the plastic hook.
Zippers mechanism latch open
Zippers mechanism latch touching
Zippers mechanism closed
Zippers mechanism metal latch spring

#173 5 days ago

This pin is killing me. The drops have decided not to reset at power on it in game. The solenoid expander board is not engaging and no power to the drop coils. I am thinking a connector issue - still waiting on connectors so I can repin the whole thing. Any other things to check? It was playing fine, started another game and no drops and the two top left pf lights and the left and right center lamps behind the green targets are dim.

#174 5 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

no power to the drop coils

Do other coils have 43V solenoid power? If yes, your daisy chained 43V solenoid power (yellow wire) might have lost connection somewhere on the playfield at one of the coils.

#175 5 days ago

I found the bad connection on the pf. Posting out of frustration more than anything. The darn pf is so crowded anytime I raise it to fix an issue or make an adjustment I seem to create another problem by bumping stuff around. The cabinet design for raising the pf is a challenge as well having to lift it to the second set of posts to get better pf access. I really like the Gottlieb design that exposes the whole pf.

#176 5 days ago

You've had a few bad coil connections now - you might want to check that they're all solid by pulling on them - resolder any that look flaky.

Quoted from StratDoc:

The cabinet design for raising the pf is a challenge as well having to lift it to the second set of posts to get better pf access. I really like the Gottlieb design that exposes the whole pf.

Agreed it's a pain. The wood rails the playfield sat on and was maneuverable upright on the previous Ballys was much better.

#177 5 days ago

The dim lights are strange. Power to the lights is low 3 volts instead of 6. Two top left and the two behind the green targets. Hard to get to.

#178 5 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The dim lights are strange. Power to the lights is okay. Two top left and the two behind the green targets. Hard to get to.

As usual, ground the colored control wire at the lamp socket. If the lamp stays dim, it's the socket or lamp. If the lamp goes bright it's likely a bad connection back to the lamp board on the colored control wire.

#179 5 days ago

I think these are general illumination lamps. An orange wire and a green wire daisy chainedto other lamps.

#180 5 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I think these are general illumination lamps. An orange wire and a green wire daisy chainedto other lamps.

Make sure you measure 6.5V - 7.0V AC across the two lamp socket connections - don't use ground as a reference. After that change the lamps and/or sockets as necessary.

#181 5 days ago

Only measuring 2.3v AC on all affected lamps.

#182 5 days ago

Ok, this time put the black meter lead on a ground point and measure both pins at the lamp sockets with the meter still set on AC voltage. What voltage do you get on each colored wire at the lamp sockets?

#183 5 days ago

2.3 volts AC on orange 0 volts on green. Ground short or poor connection somewhere along the daisy chained affected lamps?

#184 5 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

2.3 volts AC on orange 0 volts on green. Ground short or poor connection somewhere along the daisy chained affected lamps?

Well, the daisy chain usually starts at the rear of the playfield. Find other GI lamps with orange and green wires and check continuity on the orange wire.
That orange wire comes from the rectifier board at J1 pin 1. Check continuity from the orange wire at a dim lamp to that pin on the rectifier board, and then further upstream past the J1 connector at test point TP1 on the rectifier board.

#185 5 days ago

Not all GI are out just those mentioned. Aren’t they all on the same chain from the rectifier board?

The lights affected have continuity between them. I lose continuity between known working GIs and the affected lamps. No continuity between j1 pin 1 and the affected lamps.

#186 5 days ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Not all GI are out just those mentioned. Aren’t they all on the same chain from the rectifier board?

No. There's two sets of GI lamp wires from the rectifier board to the playfield. You have the orange and green set, and then the red and white set. Red and orange are connected together back at the rectifier board. Green and white are connected together back at the rectifier board and these are also ground.

Note, the schematic below lists the orange wire going to the zipper flippers EOS switch stack to power the lamps under the main lower red flippers. Check there for a bad connection.

Medusa_Playfield_GI.jpg

#187 5 days ago

That was exactly the problem. One of the orange wires at the EOS for the zipper flippers was coming loose. I need to recheck all of my soldering on this thing. As you pointed out, that seems to be a recurrent problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside