(Topic ID: 57783)

First Playfield restoration attempt: Gottlieb Circus...or Hairly Legged Women!

By Gov

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Bif
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_001113.jpg
WP_001112.jpg
IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_2537.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG
Shaved_Leg1.JPG
Hairy_Leg1.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG
IMG_2527.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I picked up this Gottlieb Circus this last weekend from a pinsider and I just love the artwork. It really is a beautiful game along the same lines as Genie. I don't much care for clowns, but the overall art package is so nice I had to pick it up. I currently have parts ordered to repair the acid damaged MPU and connectors, so in the meantime I thought I would start with getting the playfield in good shape. Overall, the playfield artwork is in really good condition, at least for a game this age. There is some insert wear in the middle and a tiny bit of planking in front of the drops. There is also some kickout wear which from what I have seen is very common. There is also a TON of ball swirl.

My intentions with this playfield is to eventually get the playfield in good enough condition to start the clear coating and paint touchup process. I have a long way to go before I get to that as I first have to get these ball swirls either out or to a manageable condition. I have decided to try the alcohol and magic eraser route and so far it seems to be working, at least to get the worst of it out. As you can see my blonde bombshell in the middle of the playfield forgot to shave her legs before the performance.

Hairy_Leg1.JPGHairy_Leg1.JPG

As you can see the ball swirl here is really noticeable. After about 20 minutes of working with the magic eraser and also a couple of passes with Novus 2, the result is pretty good. I think there is still room for improvement, but I will wait for that until later. Here is the 'after'.

Shaved_Leg1.JPGShaved_Leg1.JPG

Not bad I think for a first attempt. As you can see from the rest of the pictures below, that I have my work cut out for me. That is ok though as the machine is in a nice spot where I can watch a movie or TV while working on it. I know this isn't that valuable of a game, but it really is a work of art and I would like to preserve it the best I can. The backglass is PERFECT on it and is currently wrapped in bubble wrap and in a safe location

I will be updating this thread as I make progress.

*edit* also used the magic eraser in the yellow below the drops and it came out pretty good, seen in one of the pics below.

IMG_2527.JPGIMG_2527.JPGIMG_2531.JPGIMG_2531.JPG IMG_2528.JPGIMG_2528.JPG

#2 10 years ago

More pics

IMG_2532.JPGIMG_2532.JPG IMG_2533.JPGIMG_2533.JPG IMG_2534.JPGIMG_2534.JPG IMG_2535.JPGIMG_2535.JPG

#3 10 years ago

more pics

IMG_2536.JPGIMG_2536.JPG IMG_2537.JPGIMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPGIMG_2538.JPG WP_001112.jpgWP_001112.jpg WP_001113.jpgWP_001113.jpg

#4 10 years ago

Sweet looking game

#5 10 years ago

That is, as you say, a work of art!
The missus and I would be so into that. Very nice pickup.

Also the cost of something doesn't always equal the value which I think gets lost a lot in pinball.

#6 10 years ago

Magic eraser does wonders. Nasty whit powder sucks but worth it.

#7 10 years ago

yes magic erasers can do wonders ... but of course take care ... I have used successfully on several of my games with no issues ... and then !!! on one of my favourites right near the end of a careful cleaning the magic eraser decided to take some paint off right in the worst spot possible!! doooh!

now I will use but with much more caution!!

very neat looking game here!!

regards, Ron

#8 10 years ago

Yes, I am being very cautious on this one as I don't want to jack it up. I don't want to have to do any more touchups than necessary

#9 10 years ago

This baby is WIDE too. 8" wider than my WCS

#10 10 years ago

Lookin good!

#11 10 years ago

At least she seemed to keep her bikini line pretty clean. Oh yeah I went there.

That machine is looking nice! I'm finding I have a thing for system80 machines and I have never seen this one. Going to pickup my HH this weekend and have similar cleanup to do, so thank you for the posting details.

#12 10 years ago

I am getting to where I have an affinity for them as well. I would love to pick up a Black Hole or HH at some point. My friend John just picked up a Mars God of War and it just looks so cool. I also would like to get Genie at some point even though it isn't system 80.

#13 10 years ago

Is this System 80 or System 1? From the overall look of the game, I would've guessed System 1.

It's looking really nice, Gov! I'm planning on restoring and clearcoating a Totem playfield soon, and it's nice to know that this is a useful technique!

#15 10 years ago

Cool to see the improvement and I learned something here. I picked up a Phoenix that has similar marking on the playfield, but at least 10x worse. Tried to google what the damage was but couldn't figure out how to describe it so couldn't come up with any results to help me see if it could be fixed. Now I know ... ball swirl. Previously tried a magic eraser for a few seconds but saw no difference, I guess you need to work at it more and add alcohol into the mix for any chance of results. More googling in the future...

I do know what you mean about putting a lot of work into these machines even if they aren't/won't be that valuable. Especially with some of these older machines that have all the artwork going for them. Not sure I'll even like playing the Phoenix I'm restoring but just looking at it brings me back to my youth for some reason as it fits in that era of machine from that time. So it feels like it has to be preserved or that's somehow a part of history lost forever.

Good luck with the restoration.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-playfield-restoration-attempt-gottlieb-circusor-hairly-legged-women and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.