20160409_203634_(resized).jpg
20160409_203827_(resized).jpg
20160409_200027_(resized).jpg
20160409_011102_(resized).jpg
reels_(resized).jpg
20160409_003443_(resized).jpg
20160328_213043_(resized).jpg
20160408_221148_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 8 years ago

Nice work. Get a vacuum and suck up all them backglass flakes. The sight of them makes my skin crawl!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Haha you're braver than me! Plus I have no soldering gear yet. Didn't want to run out and just grab the 30 watt pos at AutoZone. Going to be ordering an adjustable one with changeable tips. Soon as I can decide which one... and a solder sucker too.
If anything this project is knocking a few tools off my want list =)
Grabbed 4 of these at harbor freight today as well. Should save my back moving the pins around.
20160327_223928_(resized).jpg

I made the mistake of buying those crappy casters at Harbor Freight. They bent like a pretzel pretty much instantly as soon as I put the weight of a pin cabinet on them. Waste of money.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Quick question for everyone. I'm starting to work on the score reels and I'd like to clean everything as best I can. In order to get the coil and bracket out I need to remove two switches. How do you guys go about removing these and keeping everything together without damaging the switch and bakelite? Thanks

20160328_214720_(resized).jpg20160328_214703_(resized).jpg

I recently cleaned 20 score reels on a Bally of the same vintage. I sure wouldn't use alcohol on them. Mild dish soap and water works fine. Mine were pretty cruddy and they came out great. If you Novus them, try a small amount on the numbered part first to be sure it doesn't remove the ink from the reel.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Hmm I dunno about that, you guys might not be accustomed to superior bally quality The numbers are heat stamped on there pretty good. Dish soap is probably all that's needed, but I recently cleaned some really grimy ones (everything in the machine was spray lubed!) with some purple power degreaser and it didn't touch the numbers.

You're right about the Bally reels. Definitely more resistant than Gottlieb or Williams plastic reels. But, it's always better to be cautious when cleaning them. Once your method seems safe, scrub away!
I really wish they would make repro number strips for Gottlieb decagon and round plastic reels as well as Williams plastic reels. I made my own replacement dummy zeros for Williams. I did hear of someone making repros, but maybe for the older paper score reels.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Also vacuumed out the back box so jrpinball wouldn't have to endure any more pictures of the bg flakes

I like it, I like it!

1 week later
#114 8 years ago

A strong magnetic pickup tool is what's best for fishing all the small parts out of the tumbler. Get a wire "toothbrush" to clean the residue from screw head slots, etc. Looking great so far!

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from willbeEM:

Zarklin I think this score reel could use your skills. Its from a Bally Hi-Lo Aces. It wasn't till I pulled it out to clean that I realized it needed more love than just a clean. The best fix isn't the nuts and bolts that hold the coil on the frame, or even the completely wrong coil, or the bent spring. Its is the time someone took to drill a hole in the broken pieces of the pawl so they could wire them together!
I just received a new (correct) coil and score drive pawl assembly from pbr. They are fast, still waiting for other stuff from marcos that was ordered much earlier.

20160325_202947_(resized).jpg

Oh, my word!

#124 8 years ago

Chuck those posts in a drill (an old-fashioned plug-in one), and clean them up with emery cloth. Then polish with Mother's mag and aluminum polish. They'll gleam again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pins-are-home-time-to-start-the-adventure?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.