20160409_203634_(resized).jpg
20160409_203827_(resized).jpg
20160409_200027_(resized).jpg
20160409_011102_(resized).jpg
reels_(resized).jpg
20160409_003443_(resized).jpg
20160328_213043_(resized).jpg
20160408_221148_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

Congrats on a fun-looking pair! Best of luck with your restoration. I've favorited this thread to see how it all goes!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Not sure if that plastic is supposed to be bowed down that way or if it just sagged over time.

Quoted from djblouw:

Mine is not bowed like that. You should be able to flatten it out with some low heat.

When you heat to flatten (with a heat gun CAREFULLY or perhaps a blowdryer) make sure it's on a nice flat surface (a piece of plate glass?) and then put something flat on top (another piece of plate glass) until it cools. Nice flat plastics!

Quoted from Zarklin:

I have not found the Teflon gel yet (super lube)

http://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html

Quoted from Pecos:

Try Ace Hardware. I found a tube for about $7.00.

...or that. ^^^

Quoted from Pecos:

Apply sparingly on stepper contacts with your finger!

Speaking from experience, however little of this stuff you think you need, use less. Just...a fraction of a dab will do you.

Quoted from Zarklin:

the jones plugs. Forgot to get before pictures yesterday but they cleaned up pretty well

I'll say! Shiny!!!

Quoted from Zarklin:

The 1000s reel looks like it needs some adjustment on the bottom switch

Hard to see what's happening with those switches. You might slip a piece of white paper behind the switch before photographing next time. Aside from that, your pics are really great!

Keep up the great work here, Zarklin!

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here's a bunch.

Wow, nice clear shots, djblouw.

Quoted from Zarklin:

How do you guys go about removing these and keeping everything together without damaging the switch and bakelite?

Quoted from polyacanthus:

A zip tie works nicely to keep the switches together until you reassemble.

I've used twist-ties, too. (Available for free at your local grocery store. ) Here's the offending hardware in the middle of the switch stack:

hardwareCockBlock_(resized).jpghardwareCockBlock_(resized).jpg

...and then the subsequent twisty-ties to keep the two stacks separated (not the best picture, I realize, but the best I've got):

twisttie_(resized).jpgtwisttie_(resized).jpg

Quoted from jrpinball:If you Novus them, try a small amount on the numbered part first to be sure it doesn't remove the ink from the reel.

THIS!!! ^^^

Quoted from Zarklin:

I will be doing the dish soap brush method tonight.

I'd be curious to see before and after shots of this method. I've used novus to good effect (being careful for the numbers, of course). Never thought to try this dish soap and water business, though.

Quoted from Zarklin:

I took a good look at the score reels and since they are all the same I decided to disassemble them all.

...you did this AFTER taking a copious amount of pictures, right? *LOL*

Great progress, Zarklin! Keep it up! ...and congrats on the new immersive hobby!

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

After hearing the suggestion to use a cut down brush for cleaning the plastic I thought I'd try another use. Probably cut this too short but it worked well and was under $1

Wow, looks great! Never thought to do this. Will have to now.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

The lower plastics turned out to be pretty yellowed. I read somewhere you can clear plastics with heat but it was being done on modern ball ramps not sure if same holds true for these

I've flattened playfield plastics with heat before, but never noticed any color/clarity change.

Quoted from Zarklin:

Lastly is the inserts.

Those actually don't look half bad. Am I the only one would just leave 'em? ...although, I guess if they're pretty cupped you'll want to do something about them. Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

Quoted from Zarklin:

And getting the white out of the shooter lane.

I've got some of that action on my Jubilee. Would be interested to hear suggestions from others on how to remove that. Sanding? Is clear-coat needed after that?

Quoted from Zarklin:

On a side note I know there is contention about led vs traditional but I really like what this guy did at the top of his play-field. Assuming those are color changing leds.

I'm one of those incandescent guys, but I, too, really like the color-changers in that video. For the machine theme and the psychedelic plastics over the color-changers, it works great. I'm actually surprised by how much I like it. Ha-ha!

Quoted from Zarklin:

He was having a blast just being part of everything.

My 2-year-old son was asking me for days afterward if he could help clean the pinball machine some more. I was HUNTING for ANYTHING I could SAFELY have him help with. Pretty awesome to have them interested...even with a bit of spilled water. Cute kid, BTW. Looks like he was lovin' life with dad.

Quoted from Zarklin:

I'm sold on the ME and the PF is taking it well.

Preach!

Still...

Quoted from Zarklin:

No paint loss in my small section here.

...continue with caution. Paint loss will surprise you.

Quoted from Zarklin:

That's all for now back to work in the AM.

Same. Nice work, Z! Keep it up!

Mighty-night,
Ryan

#103 7 years ago

Personally, I've found straight edges and touch to not be extraordinarily useful when trying to determine how badly inserts are cupped. I've had inserts that felt/looked cupped in a VERY minor way, but still affect ball travel, especially at slow speeds. You might just take a ball and roll it slowly over some of those inserts to get a feel of out it might be affected.

More luck!

#105 7 years ago

Heh-heh! ...just hangin' out.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Things just got a bit more involved. SOB!

You sound like a sensitive artist. Ha-ha! (I'm speaking, as an artist, BTW.) Sometimes I'll create something and think it looks like absolutely hammered dung. Then I'll come back to it a couple days later and think to myself, "That's not so bad after all." The post holes strike me that way. They really don't look too awfully bad. I see ONE "100" post in the yellow that might use some wood filler, sanding, and a touch-up. I guess it depends on how pristine you want your Op-Pop-Pop, though. Maybe step back for a sec and think about whether this is gonna be a forever machine or not. If yes, sure, go nuts. Make it perfect in every way that makes a difference to you. If this is gonna be something you play for a little while and then pass along the fun to someone else, you don't want to be upside-down on this machine due to all the time and energy you have into it. Just my opinion, though. There are a lot of them around here.

Quoted from Zarklin:

Debating if I should even bother trying to save these posts.

I'm with Jrpinball. They look completely salvageable to me.

Keep havin' fun!
-Ryan

7 months later
#133 7 years ago

No pressure, but how are things?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
£ 45.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pins-are-home-time-to-start-the-adventure?tu=RyanClaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.