20160409_203634_(resized).jpg
20160409_203827_(resized).jpg
20160409_200027_(resized).jpg
20160409_011102_(resized).jpg
reels_(resized).jpg
20160409_003443_(resized).jpg
20160328_213043_(resized).jpg
20160408_221148_(resized).jpg
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

Hey look what I found on the top right of the schematic......

Labeled for my reference
Door_plug_pinout_Labled_(resized).jpgDoor_plug_pinout_Labled_(resized).jpg

So unless I can come up with a temporary solution I'll be making a hardware store run tomorrow for alligator clip leads. I'll see if I can get things connected in the right spot. Then think about re-soldering the connector. I do have one extra wire on my door plug however so I may need to change something on the door as well. right now it looks like the replay button should return on yellow instead of it's separate wire

Edit: I also tried just linking the Green-Blk and Yellow together since these pass through the NC A.C switch but the game would not function. Acted the same as if the door was completely disconnected

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

And don't hesitate to ask for pics.

Looks like I may be needing a few more. I picked up the test leads but simply matching the colors is not yielding any results. Could I get some picture of the back of the coin door. just want to confirm what wires are going to which switches and lights. I match the connections to the schematic as well but I just get a buzzing as if the door is not connected.

Thank you again.

#53 8 years ago

Ran up tp Harbor Frieght for a set of test leads.
20160327_164750_(resized).jpg20160327_164750_(resized).jpg

Made myself a reference sheet for what I "thought" was correct going by the schematic.
door_info_(resized).jpgdoor_info_(resized).jpg

Then gave it a go..
testing_(resized).jpgtesting_(resized).jpg

All my hopes dashed. I tried a few configurations going off djblouw's pictures as well but wasn't able to get things running.

I did link everything through in it's "normal" configuration and tried just removing A5 since that was feeding into the coin chute 3 coil. But when I did the game would not turn on at all. I've got to be overlooking something simple.... somewhere. Feel like I'm making this too complicated.

#54 8 years ago

From what I can tell, that looks to me like how I would hook it up. But I wouldn't have taken the alligator jumper approach, I would've started with soldering wires

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

From what I can tell, that looks to me like how I would hook it up. But I wouldn't have taken the alligator jumper approach, I would've started with soldering wires

Haha you're braver than me! Plus I have no soldering gear yet. Didn't want to run out and just grab the 30 watt pos at AutoZone. Going to be ordering an adjustable one with changeable tips. Soon as I can decide which one... and a solder sucker too.

If anything this project is knocking a few tools off my want list =)

Grabbed 4 of these at harbor freight today as well. Should save my back moving the pins around.

20160327_223928_(resized).jpg20160327_223928_(resized).jpg

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Haha you're braver than me!

What I meant was the jumper method is a much better idea

At least you haven't blown a fuse yet, literally or figuratively, so that's good.

#57 8 years ago

What I meant was the jumper method is a much better idea
At least you haven't blown a fuse yet, literally or figuratively, so that's good.

Wife brought me a case of Yuengling home from Ohio.. that helped keep the figurative fuse from blowing. It was close though lol

#58 8 years ago

As an aside I checked continuity on the door plug to check for shorts in the door. A2 , 4 and 5 are all ringing. Seems right to me as 2 and 4 pair for GI on the schematic and 5 goes to the N/C A.C. switch on the door.

When I trip the N/C A.C. switch on the door it does disengage coin chute coin 3 as I hoped since it feeding into A5 on the bottom board. But it does disengage the score motor as well.

doorplugnumberedContinuity_(resized).jpgdoorplugnumberedContinuity_(resized).jpg

#59 8 years ago

Posted for polyacanthus. Here's the schematic by the transformer.

20160327_233643_(resized).jpg20160327_233643_(resized).jpg

#60 8 years ago

Been working with polyacanthus through PM and we've made some progress. Thank you so much for you help through all this.

I wired the door up like my diagram again. Initially I thought I had messed up. Turns out while yes the game sits there buzzing when plugged in. If I hit the replay button on the door or a coin slot switch the A.C relay locks and I get GI and one turn of the score wheel. However after that everything stops (GI stays on) and I get the buzzing again until I hit a coin switch. But one rotation and stop.

Hey it's progress right.... =)

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Looks like I may be needing a few more.

Sorry for the delay. I'll take some tonight when I get home.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Sorry for the delay. I'll take some tonight when I get home.

No problem what so ever. You're doing me a great favor can't thank you enough.

#63 8 years ago

Here's a bunch. Let me know if you need different angles, or anything.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Haha you're braver than me! Plus I have no soldering gear yet. Didn't want to run out and just grab the 30 watt pos at AutoZone. Going to be ordering an adjustable one with changeable tips. Soon as I can decide which one... and a solder sucker too.
If anything this project is knocking a few tools off my want list =)
Grabbed 4 of these at harbor freight today as well. Should save my back moving the pins around.
20160327_223928_(resized).jpg

I made the mistake of buying those crappy casters at Harbor Freight. They bent like a pretzel pretty much instantly as soon as I put the weight of a pin cabinet on them. Waste of money.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Your machine weighs more than 132 lbs. Return the wheels before they get crushed.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here's a bunch. Let me know if you need different angles, or anything.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Perfect and thanks again. That answers the last of my door wiring questions. I was right woohoo think that deserves a beer.

Quoted from jrpinball:

I made the mistake of buying those crappy casters at Harbor Freight. They bent like a pretzel pretty much instantly as soon as I put the weight of a pin cabinet on them. Waste of money.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Your machine weighs more than 132 lbs. Return the wheels before they get crushed.

Thanks for the heads up won't bother trying them on the pins. Figured with the weight distributed across 4 it would be ok. I'll keep them around for lighter stuff. I'm getting to old to just man handle everything... well I don't recover like I used to anyway Also it's 52 miles round trip to harbor freight barely worth the gas for $12. Assuming there are stronger ones out so there I'll see if I can find some local. Worst case I'll make something.

#67 8 years ago

Sweet sweet progress. I can now start a game. Still have to set the reels to zero manually but one step at a time. With the door wiring figured out I'll be getting back to reel and stepper cleaning. Realizing I probably should have put this thread in the restoration category....

20160328_205144_(resized).jpg20160328_205144_(resized).jpg

#68 8 years ago

Quick question for everyone. I'm starting to work on the score reels and I'd like to clean everything as best I can. In order to get the coil and bracket out I need to remove two switches. How do you guys go about removing these and keeping everything together without damaging the switch and bakelite? Thanks

20160328_214720_(resized).jpg20160328_214720_(resized).jpg

20160328_214703_(resized).jpg20160328_214703_(resized).jpg

#69 8 years ago

Awesome progress. A zip tie works nicely to keep the switches together until you reassemble.

IMG_20160328_225630225_(resized).jpgIMG_20160328_225630225_(resized).jpg

#70 8 years ago

Awesome progress. A zip tie works nicely to keep the switches together until you reassemble.

IMG_20160328_225630225_(resized).jpg

Thank you. Seems so obvious now that I see it. Didn't even cross my mind. Now where did I put those things, I've got 100s of them around here somewhere.....

#71 8 years ago

Quick tid bit before I call it a night. I starting on cleaning the score reels. I'm just going to wipe down the plastic parts with alcohol until I get some Novus 2 then I'll get the number reels cleaner.

I also pulled the score reel mounting bracket.
20160328_221426_(resized).jpg20160328_221426_(resized).jpg

Despite my reservations about using scotch bright the Brasso was just not doing the job. Below is after GSB, Brasso then Alcohol. It's better but not quite there. I know I took a good layer off that bracket but the rust was driving me bonkers.
20160329_001843_(resized).jpg20160329_001843_(resized).jpg

Started doing the same with the 0-9 reel bracket. The latch has been cleaned the same as the mounting bracket. Haven't started on the main bracket yet.
20160329_000725_(resized).jpg20160329_000725_(resized).jpg

But alas my OCD is not satisfied plus I spent nearly 40 minutes just on the latch. It had a good bit of rust on it as opposed to some other pieces. I do have a wire wheel I could put in my drill but getting in the tight areas would be a pain. I'm trying to avoid the obvious scratches in the metal as well.

I'm considering getting a tumbler. Would like to know everyone's opinion on the subject. I see a good amount of people use them for metal parts on the PF but I'm wondering if there are any pit falls to putting these brackets in. I do have reservations about doing the smaller pieces, nuts, bolts, springs etc. but I'm sure there's an efficient way to find them once the tumbling is done. Unless I should be looking at the small quart size tumblers for bolts and what not.

Yes, I said my goal was just to give this one a basic clean and get it running smoothly. However if I'm going to be taking everything apart anyway I just as soon do it once and do it 100%

You all have been a great help and I can't thank you enough. I'm becoming completely hooked on working on these machines. Even after just a week it has been one of the most gratifying experiences I've had. I've found my new addiction

#72 8 years ago

Good luck with your games. Your collection will keep growing!!

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Seems so obvious now that I see it. Didn't even cross my mind.

I know, I saw it here on pinside then administered a dopeslap.

Quoted from Zarklin:

I'm just going to wipe down the plastic parts with alcohol until I get some Novus 2 then I'll get the number reels cleaner.

You know what works really well for plastics but is often overlooked is dawn dish soap and a stiff paint brush (bristles cut short). Dawn cuts the grease and grime yet is gentle enough for little ducklings- or paint. Toy train restorers' secret

#74 8 years ago

You know what works really well for plastics but is often overlooked is dawn dish soap and a stiff paint brush (bristles cut short). Dawn cuts the grease and grime yet is gentle enough for little ducklings. Toy train restorers' secret

another why didn't I realize that moment.... I use that on my game console plastics all the time.... Assuming rinsing it with water won't hurt the numbers on the reel.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball77:

Good luck with your games. Your collection will keep growing!!

Thank you. I'm hoping it will. I'm having a blast and haven't even played a game yet

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Quick question for everyone. I'm starting to work on the score reels and I'd like to clean everything as best I can. In order to get the coil and bracket out I need to remove two switches. How do you guys go about removing these and keeping everything together without damaging the switch and bakelite? Thanks

20160328_214720_(resized).jpg20160328_214703_(resized).jpg

I recently cleaned 20 score reels on a Bally of the same vintage. I sure wouldn't use alcohol on them. Mild dish soap and water works fine. Mine were pretty cruddy and they came out great. If you Novus them, try a small amount on the numbered part first to be sure it doesn't remove the ink from the reel.

#77 8 years ago

Alcohol will wipe the numbers right off! Do not use alcohol on the score reels! Like JR said used very mild dish soap and water.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I recently cleaned 20 score reels on a Bally of the same vintage. I sure wouldn't use alcohol on them. Mild dish soap and water works fine. Mine were pretty cruddy and they came out great. If you Novus them, try a small amount on the numbered part first to be sure it doesn't remove the ink from the reel.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Alcohol will wipe the numbers right off! Do not use alcohol on the score reels! Like JR said used very mild dish soap and water.

Thanks guys, it was late last night and after re-reading my post about the plastic stuff I see I wasn't really clear. I was using the alcohol on the gear , latch and what not. The number reel I just wiped with a dry rag to get the dust and bug droppings off. I intended to use the novus 2 just on the score reel. But I will be doing the dish soap brush method tonight. I should really stop posting after midnight

Thanks again for the warnings. On a side note does anyone make reproduction score reels?

#79 8 years ago

I have seen a reproduction sticker (I think) somewhere. Don't know how good they are or where I saw them.

#80 8 years ago

Hmm I dunno about that, you guys might not be accustomed to superior bally quality The numbers are heat stamped on there pretty good. Dish soap is probably all that's needed, but I recently cleaned some really grimy ones (everything in the machine was spray lubed!) with some purple power degreaser and it didn't touch the numbers.

#81 8 years ago

Hmm I dunno about that, you guys might not be accustomed to superior bally quality The numbers are heat stamped on there pretty good. Dish soap is probably all that's needed, but I recently cleaned some really grimy ones (everything in the machine was spray lubed!) with some purple power degreaser and it didn't touch the numbers.

You're right about the Bally reels. Definitely more resistant than Gottlieb or Williams plastic reels. But, it's always better to be cautious when cleaning them. Once your method seems safe, scrub away!
I really wish they would make repro number strips for Gottlieb decagon and round plastic reels as well as Williams plastic reels. I made my own replacement dummy zeros for Williams. I did hear of someone making repros, but maybe for the older paper score reels.

#82 8 years ago

Little bit of progress tonight. I was hoping to have a tumbler but my local HF was out of stock. Kinda worked out though after doing some more reading at talking to the wife I've got her blessing and permission to order a Dillon CV-2100. Yes it's a good chunk more considering I had a 20% off coupon for HF. But after reading through multiple threads on here and elsewhere the Dillon sounds like the better route. Especially if I end up doing the ball trough or other big parts. Not to mention I'd trust a Dillon tool to last way longer than anything at HF. It'll come in handy in the garage too. So yay! more tools.

Any way I took a good look at the score reels and since they are all the same I decided to disassemble them all.

Lesson learned about dropping stuff.....

Quoted from jrpinball:

Nice work. Get a vacuum and suck up all them backglass flakes. The sight of them makes my skin crawl!

Also vacuumed out the back box so jrpinball wouldn't have to endure any more pictures of the bg flakes

20160329_225439_(resized).jpg20160329_225439_(resized).jpg

Look at those yummy contacts

contactsScoreReels_(resized).jpgcontactsScoreReels_(resized).jpg

First batch of stuff that will hit the tumbler once it shows up.
20160329_233721_(resized).jpg20160329_233721_(resized).jpg

Shiny! Is there a better alternative to the GSB I really hate those scratches
20160330_000855_(resized).jpg20160330_000855_(resized).jpg

I still need to grab some zip ties to get the switches off the coil plates hopefully tomorrow.

All the plastics are bagged up and will get a washing with the dawn and water. Going to recruit my munchkin since he's been begging to help.

Not sure how long it will take for the tumbler to arrive but until then I'll most likely continue stepper disassembly in the back box. I'd like to be moving on to the play field by mid next week if at all possible. Have orders going out tonight for wax, rubbers etc... Finally!

My wife has jumped on board way more than I expected. If I may quote the Mrs. "I really like what working on these has done to your mood" and when Mama's happy Daddy gets new tools lol Gotta say this is the first hobby she's been so happy with. The "more pins when the basement is done" conversation has already come up I know most of this is old hat to many who have been in the hobby for years but I'm really starting to understand the passion that goes into these machines and keeping them alive.

Until next time.

#83 8 years ago

You are a lucky man to have a happy wife on board. My wife looks at them and shakes her head. 3 years ago she used to say they were a waste of money and some other things I wont say but now she just lets me do my thing (within reason).

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Also vacuumed out the back box so jrpinball wouldn't have to endure any more pictures of the bg flakes

I like it, I like it!

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here's a bunch.

Wow, nice clear shots, djblouw.

Quoted from Zarklin:

How do you guys go about removing these and keeping everything together without damaging the switch and bakelite?

A zip tie works nicely to keep the switches together until you reassemble.

I've used twist-ties, too. (Available for free at your local grocery store. ) Here's the offending hardware in the middle of the switch stack:

hardwareCockBlock_(resized).jpghardwareCockBlock_(resized).jpg

...and then the subsequent twisty-ties to keep the two stacks separated (not the best picture, I realize, but the best I've got):

twisttie_(resized).jpgtwisttie_(resized).jpg

Quoted from jrpinball:If you Novus them, try a small amount on the numbered part first to be sure it doesn't remove the ink from the reel.

THIS!!! ^^^

Quoted from Zarklin:

I will be doing the dish soap brush method tonight.

I'd be curious to see before and after shots of this method. I've used novus to good effect (being careful for the numbers, of course). Never thought to try this dish soap and water business, though.

Quoted from Zarklin:

I took a good look at the score reels and since they are all the same I decided to disassemble them all.

...you did this AFTER taking a copious amount of pictures, right? *LOL*

Great progress, Zarklin! Keep it up! ...and congrats on the new immersive hobby!

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

...you did this AFTER taking a copious amount of pictures, right? *LOL*

Of course I took a lot of..... aww crap may have forgot to note which picture was which reel. Should be fine they are all exactly the same. Shy a contact plate on the 10s reel. Plus the wiring harness drops them all out nicely in groups.... yep that's self reassurance right there

Picked up a few bits tonight. I couldn't find my small zip ties so I grabbed a couple packs. Will get the coil brackets of next. Grabbed a pack of cheap brushes to cut down and try the dawn cleaning on the plastics.

Eta on the tumbler is Tuesday so slow going till then. Soldering iron should be here Friday. Lets see how rusty I've gotten over the years and rewire that coin door plug this weekend!

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Should be fine they are all exactly the same. Shy a contact plate on the 10s reel. Plus the wiring harness drops them all out nicely in groups.... yep that's self reassurance right there

is right. Are you sure that it's the 10 reel that doesn't have the PCB? I'm not 100% sure either but my Bally Double-Up doesn't use the PCB on the 100's reel. The 10s reel needs to be tracked for the match feature. The 1,000 and 10,000 reels need to be tracked for replay/credit scores. Perhaps someone else can chime in here to verify.

#88 8 years ago

No worries guys I triple checked. It's the 10s reel with no contact plate. This unit only goes up to a 1000s reel 20160329_225153_(resized).jpg20160329_225153_(resized).jpg20160331_060038_(resized).jpg20160331_060038_(resized).jpg

Also I found something that made my OCD smile. After hearing the suggestion to use a cut down brush for cleaning the plastic I thought I'd try another use. Probably cut this too short but it worked well and was under $1
20160331_013536_(resized).jpg20160331_013536_(resized).jpg

This was after vacuuming

20160331_013511_(resized).jpg20160331_013511_(resized).jpg

And after a quick hit with the brush.

20160331_013544_(resized).jpg20160331_013544_(resized).jpg

Gotta run have a good day all hopefully more updates tonight.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

No worries guys I triple checked. It's the 10s reel with no contact plate. This unit only goes up to a 1000s reel

Ahh! That would make perfect sense if Op-Pop-Pop has 1's, 10's, 100's and 1000's reels instead of 10's, 100's, 1,000's and 10,000's reels and a match feature that matches the single digits.

If I had been paying closer attention I would have seen that the far right score reel, the single digits reel, had a '1' in one of your images.

Quoted from Zarklin:

yep that's self reassurance right there

Proceed with self reassurance!

#90 8 years ago

Nice job with your thread here. Great pictures. You are not afraid to take these head on. You'll have your games running soon enough. Good work.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

After hearing the suggestion to use a cut down brush for cleaning the plastic I thought I'd try another use. Probably cut this too short but it worked well and was under $1

Wow, looks great! Never thought to do this. Will have to now.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow, looks great! Never thought to do this. Will have to now.

Thanks Ryan. I wasn't sure how impregnated the dirt would be in the cloth but I'll be hitting the whole harness now. I was reading an Indianan Jones restore thread when the guy actually washed the whole harness then cleaned it in a ultrasonic cleaner. Obviously not something I would ever consider with cloth wire. But got me thinking what I could do for that little extra touch.

Here is said thread if you want to give it a look. IMO amazing attention to detail and some cleaning techniques I would have never though of.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

#93 8 years ago

Evening all. Sorry for the lack of substance last couple of days. Had to take my wife to the ER yesterday morning and then came home last night to water in my basement again. This time from the foundation in three different places..... uggg. At least a broke pipe was something I could fix! Needless to say I've had to shift my focus a bit. Wife is doing fine she messed up something in her shoulder pretty good and was in pain to the point of tears. She is stuck in a sling till Thursday at minimum. I've been working on moving more stuff out of the basement and getting my electronics work station setup. I had tools and pieces parts in about 10 different places. Just to clarify a lot of this (tools, work area etc) was already in my plans prior to the pins due to my other various electronics hobbies. The pins just got my wife on board enough to kick them up the priority list a bit Now how do I sneak another tool chest into the house....

I did get a nice mail call today from Amazon and Marcos. (not the magnifying light but damn do I love that thing lol) Finally I can quit borrowing stuff to solder

20160401_232600_(resized).jpg20160401_232600_(resized).jpg

I gave up trying to find the wax locally.

20160401_225743_(resized).jpg20160401_225743_(resized).jpg

This should work out a lot better than working on an old computer desk.
20160401_233918_(resized).jpg20160401_233918_(resized).jpg

Hope to be back to the grind on Op-Pop-Pop by Sunday. Take care all until next time!

#94 8 years ago

Looks like you are well stocked for further work. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Take care of the Mrs. and hope your water problems are not too bad. Games aren't going anywhere - it isn't a race - back to them in your free time. Take care of what count's first.

#95 8 years ago

Dears, I am Carlos from BRAZIL, and I trying to restore one Op pop pop...I need some help.

#96 8 years ago

Alright so I got burned out working on the basement and squeezed in some time for the Bally. In truth I had a few beers and stayed up way too late. Got back at it this afternoon.

Started stripping down the play-field. Taking a ton of pictures to get everything back in the right place. The paint color difference is crazy. Would have loved to see this machine new. Surprised the covered wood was actually lighter I assumed the exposed wood would have been faded.

20160402_024105_(resized).jpg20160402_024105_(resized).jpg

The lower plastics turned out to be pretty yellowed. I read somewhere you can clear plastics with heat but it was being done on modern ball ramps not sure if same holds true for these
20160402_014530_(resized).jpg20160402_014530_(resized).jpg

Encountered a couple switches I didn't expect. Needed to remove the one at the top to get the arch off. The ball trough one I can work around for cleaning. Trough will be part of the second tumbler batch.
20160402_021755_(resized).jpg20160402_021755_(resized).jpg
20160402_020855_(resized).jpg20160402_020855_(resized).jpg
Not the prettiest desolder job but it worked.
20160403_170638_(resized).jpg20160403_170638_(resized).jpg

Mushroom bumpers came off really easy didn't even think to take pictures. They connect same as a flipper button so I didn't need to remove any switches.

My son on the other hand wanted to jump in and starting taking pictures. That he "wants to take to day care"
20160403_172436_(resized).jpg20160403_172436_(resized).jpg

Now I'm stuck on a few things. The roll over buttons, the pegs at the top and the inserts.

Does anyone know if the pegs are screwed in or just hammered in. I could not get them to turn. But I'm hesitant to knock the out with a punch in fear I will chip the play-field. As you can see they are pretty rusty and I'd love to get them out and cleaned up. If it's too much risk I'll try to clean them by hand while they are installed.

20160403_174027_(resized).jpg20160403_174027_(resized).jpg

Next is the roll over buttons. They have a small e-clip installed and I can't tell if the nut can come off with them on. I haven't tried yet since it looks like I will need to move all the switches out of the way.

20160403_184653_(resized).jpg20160403_184653_(resized).jpg

Lastly is the inserts. They are a bit more cupped than I thought. Judging by the wear around them. I didn't think the wax would be thick enough to over come this but I could be wrong. I've read a couple different ways to handle this. Remove and sand flush replacing the labels with water slide decals. Or touch up and fill with some clear coat and let it level then sand. I think in this case the second option is best due to this odd font. But I am nervous about it

20160403_174124_(resized).jpg20160403_174124_(resized).jpg

Couple more play-field items I'd like to clean up but haven't looked into yet.

The ball arch wear and the black spots on the play-field. not sure how those spots at the right or the arch would have even gotten there.
20160402_024105_(resized).jpg20160402_024105_(resized).jpg
And getting the white out of the shooter lane.
I did a quick wipe with naphtha but once it dried all the way the white was back.
20160402_023828_(resized).jpg20160402_023828_(resized).jpg

So here's how she looks right now.
20160403_174055_(resized).jpg20160403_174055_(resized).jpg

On a side note I know there is contention about led vs traditional but I really like what this guy did at the top of his play-field. Assuming those are color changing leds.

Until next time! Take care all.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

Lastly is the inserts. They are a bit more cupped than I thought. Judging by the wear around them. I didn't think the wax would be thick enough to over come this but I could be wrong.

Wax won't do anything to level those. Wax film thickness is negligible. It's really just filling microscopic cracks.

Here's where the rabbit hole gets deeper Personally I'd see if the glue is deteriorated enough they're ready to pop out on their own. If so, since the text is still good, you could just pop them all out and lay them on a flatbed scanner. Then do you flatten those or get new white inserts where you're at it? Do you do all inserts? They need to be clearcoated after decals, do you clearcoat the whole thing?

Enjoy

#98 8 years ago

Wax won't do anything to level those. Wax film thickness is negligible. It's really just filling microscopic cracks.
Here's where the rabbit hole gets deeper Personally I'd see if the glue is deteriorated enough they're ready to pop out on their own. If so, since the text is still good, you could just pop them all out and lay them on a flatbed scanner. Then do you flatten those or get new white inserts where you're at it? Do you do all inserts? They need to be clearcoated after decals, do you clearcoat the whole thing?
Enjoy

Oh the rabbit hole..... I don't know if a full clearing job is something I could do. I don't have the equipment right now and was hopping to avoid stripping the bottom of the PF. Which I would have to come close, to get to all the inserts. But not totally out of the question if need be. I'm leaning more towards "topping" them with clear but who knows.

Finished out the night cleaning the score reel parts with the kid. He was having a blast just being part of everything. Already asking if there's more to clean tomorrow. Excuse the disgusted look on my face 4 y/o + water = splash Dad

cropped1_(resized).jpgcropped1_(resized).jpg20160403_203805_(resized).jpg20160403_203805_(resized).jpg

The reels came out pretty well. I did get all the insect droppings off.

no_flash_(resized).jpgno_flash_(resized).jpg

Flash makes them look really white. I wish they looked this good!

flash_(resized).jpgflash_(resized).jpg

I did try a small bit of Novus 2 on one after but the difference if any was negligible.

After he went to bed I figured I'd try a couple things on the PF. Gave it a wipe down with naphtha first.

Left is novus 2 right is ME and alcohol. I'm sold on the ME and the PF is taking it well. No paint loss in my small section here. Though there appears to be some planking I won't be able to over come in the white. ME might do it but I didn't want to press too hard at first.
20160403_225702_(resized).jpg20160403_225702_(resized).jpg

That's all for now back to work in the AM.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

The lower plastics turned out to be pretty yellowed. I read somewhere you can clear plastics with heat but it was being done on modern ball ramps not sure if same holds true for these

I've flattened playfield plastics with heat before, but never noticed any color/clarity change.

Quoted from Zarklin:

Lastly is the inserts.

Those actually don't look half bad. Am I the only one would just leave 'em? ...although, I guess if they're pretty cupped you'll want to do something about them. Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

Quoted from Zarklin:

And getting the white out of the shooter lane.

I've got some of that action on my Jubilee. Would be interested to hear suggestions from others on how to remove that. Sanding? Is clear-coat needed after that?

Quoted from Zarklin:

On a side note I know there is contention about led vs traditional but I really like what this guy did at the top of his play-field. Assuming those are color changing leds.

I'm one of those incandescent guys, but I, too, really like the color-changers in that video. For the machine theme and the psychedelic plastics over the color-changers, it works great. I'm actually surprised by how much I like it. Ha-ha!

Quoted from Zarklin:

He was having a blast just being part of everything.

My 2-year-old son was asking me for days afterward if he could help clean the pinball machine some more. I was HUNTING for ANYTHING I could SAFELY have him help with. Pretty awesome to have them interested...even with a bit of spilled water. Cute kid, BTW. Looks like he was lovin' life with dad.

Quoted from Zarklin:

I'm sold on the ME and the PF is taking it well.

Preach!

Still...

Quoted from Zarklin:

No paint loss in my small section here.

...continue with caution. Paint loss will surprise you.

Quoted from Zarklin:

That's all for now back to work in the AM.

Same. Nice work, Z! Keep it up!

Mighty-night,
Ryan

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I've flattened playfield plastics with heat before, but never noticed any color/clarity change.

I take it back a bit. It was flame polishing. Not really making it clear more taking scratches out. I've been reading so many things some are starting to blur together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pins-are-home-time-to-start-the-adventure/page/2?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.