Alright so I got burned out working on the basement and squeezed in some time for the Bally. In truth I had a few beers and stayed up way too late. Got back at it this afternoon.
Started stripping down the play-field. Taking a ton of pictures to get everything back in the right place. The paint color difference is crazy. Would have loved to see this machine new. Surprised the covered wood was actually lighter I assumed the exposed wood would have been faded.
The lower plastics turned out to be pretty yellowed. I read somewhere you can clear plastics with heat but it was being done on modern ball ramps not sure if same holds true for these
Encountered a couple switches I didn't expect. Needed to remove the one at the top to get the arch off. The ball trough one I can work around for cleaning. Trough will be part of the second tumbler batch.
Not the prettiest desolder job but it worked.
Mushroom bumpers came off really easy didn't even think to take pictures. They connect same as a flipper button so I didn't need to remove any switches.
My son on the other hand wanted to jump in and starting taking pictures. That he "wants to take to day care"
Now I'm stuck on a few things. The roll over buttons, the pegs at the top and the inserts.
Does anyone know if the pegs are screwed in or just hammered in. I could not get them to turn. But I'm hesitant to knock the out with a punch in fear I will chip the play-field. As you can see they are pretty rusty and I'd love to get them out and cleaned up. If it's too much risk I'll try to clean them by hand while they are installed.
Next is the roll over buttons. They have a small e-clip installed and I can't tell if the nut can come off with them on. I haven't tried yet since it looks like I will need to move all the switches out of the way.
Lastly is the inserts. They are a bit more cupped than I thought. Judging by the wear around them. I didn't think the wax would be thick enough to over come this but I could be wrong. I've read a couple different ways to handle this. Remove and sand flush replacing the labels with water slide decals. Or touch up and fill with some clear coat and let it level then sand. I think in this case the second option is best due to this odd font. But I am nervous about it
Couple more play-field items I'd like to clean up but haven't looked into yet.
The ball arch wear and the black spots on the play-field. not sure how those spots at the right or the arch would have even gotten there.
And getting the white out of the shooter lane.
I did a quick wipe with naphtha but once it dried all the way the white was back.
So here's how she looks right now.
On a side note I know there is contention about led vs traditional but I really like what this guy did at the top of his play-field. Assuming those are color changing leds.
Until next time! Take care all.