• 49 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by geekmiki
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

The decision's been made, I'm getting a pinball!

At first, I got excited by Stern's TWD announcement and thought it would be a perfect match to get into the hobby: NIB pinball=less trouble, I am a TWD fan, there is a Stern reseller in Norway. If I go this way it will be a Pro model, since I'm definitely not putting $10.500 for an LE on my first pinball.
The first gameplay videos have popped up here and there and I got some doubts. I know that TWD has early code that is NOT representative of what the game will look like in a year. But the slow gameplay and the fact that there are only two main toys/targets makes me feel I could get bored (too) quickly.

The other option I have is a Fish Tales, restored, upgraded to LED for half the price. I've played this one numerous times and even though I don't particularly like the theme, I like the gameplay.
The technical/repair aspect doesn't scare me off as I own two arcade cabinets and I am used to repairs, soldering and fixing stuff.

TWD: blind buy, with a theme I like and a perceived less attractive gameplay (that might/will evolve)
FT: classic DMD pin, fun gameplay, not cool theme, but a quite safe buy funwise

I can't and won't have two pinball machines, so I have to stick to one... There's simply no room.

Let me know your thoughts!

#2 5 years ago

Get the new one

#3 5 years ago

Buy the fishtales, play it for 6 months, buy a used walking dead that's already been tweaked with more complete code for 1k less than NIB.

#4 5 years ago

I'd say buy a FT, sounds like a good price if half a TWD pro. Then you have money for a second, and no matter what, two machines are better than one.

#5 5 years ago

FT FT FT FT FT FT
it just fast furious fun and what a game! proven winner and the colour DMD makes it sparkle

#6 5 years ago

Fish Tales is a proven winner. It's a true joy. A better bet - especially for the $ - than an unproven new game. That said, what's more exciting than the new game? Follow your heart.

#7 5 years ago

Hold on. I know that a pro in Denmark cost about 40-45.000 danish crowns (~8-8500 dollars - This is including taxes and shipping). I suspect it's around the same in Norway.

Now, if you are offered a Fish Tales for half the price of TWD, make sure you aren't being cheated. If the pricing is somewhat the same in Denmark as Norway, consider the fact that there is an sorta unnoticed Fish Tales for sale in Denmark right now for 12500 (aprox 2.300 dollars). If you are looking at half the cost of TWD, then you end up paying 4000+ dollars for a fish tales. - Maybe it's restored like that, maybe it's the pricing in Norway, but it's unusual in my opinion, coming from a Scandinavian.

All I'm saying is, I'd vote for Fish Tales, but better be careful that you aren't being screwed over. People new to the hobby unfortunately ends up with the short end of the stick most of the time.

#8 5 years ago

Ft

#9 5 years ago

You could buy 3-4 machines for the price of a NIB and they do come with there share of issues also. But FT all The way,, Wait for the new game to be released and buy it out of the box and save $$$ .

#10 5 years ago

I own a FT, and I'm not about to dump it for TWD. I think you'd best go with the proven title in FT. If you find yourself getting bored or longing for TWD, you can always sell it for a wash and picked up a cheaper HUO TWD.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for all your input!

Regarding the prices:
-NIB TWD Pro costs $6.400 (41.000 NOK - VAT included)
-Used FT costs $2.600 (17.000 NOK)

I forgot to write "less than" half the price.

I'm still waiting for some higher resolution pics from the seller before I drive up there to have a closer look. If the cabinet and playfield are in good shape, I'll probably pick it up.

#12 5 years ago

Another vote for FT here. The game sounds pretty nice with it being recently restored. If you grew tired of FT down the road you could always sell it (likely get what you paid for it too) and purchase a Walking Dead later.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Buy the fishtales, play it for 6 months, buy a used Walking Dead that's already been tweaked with more complete code for 1k less than NIB.

this is the ONLY logical answer!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from geekmiki:

Thanks for all your input!
Regarding the prices:
-NIB TWD Pro costs $6.400 (41.000 NOK - VAT included)
-Used FT costs $2.600 (17.000 NOK)
I forgot to write "less than" half the price.
I'm still waiting for some higher resolution pics from the seller before I drive up there to have a closer look. If the cabinet and playfield are in good shape, I'll probably pick it up.

Ok. 17000 NOK is alright.

Personally, considering Danish pricing, I think it may be a bit steep, but if it's restored nicely (hint, not just changed rubbers and given wax) then it might very well be worth it.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Ok. 17000 NOK is alright.
Personally, considering Danish pricing, I think it may be a bit steep, but if it's restored nicely (hint, not just changed rubbers and given wax) then it might very well be worth it.

As everything here, it's of course a bit overpriced... Remember, we go to Denmark and we think it's cheap(er).

#17 5 years ago

What about IM VE? It's new and certainly well proven compared to TWD.

I am not certain why you limit your choice to FT as you said it's not your ideal theme. But I just wouldn't buy something only because it's available. I am not an expert on FT but played it a few times and I can think its a game that some people won't like. (Can say that about most games) so you need to pick a theme you like first.

Next, I would suggest a new pin for a newbie. I have games like PotC from new and had not one singe issue while an older machine *can be* one thing after another. I feel a broken pin is no good.

So you could probable get 'new' IM VE, ST, Metallica, AcDc or TWD.

TWD looks cool but is way unknown while Met, ST, AcDc and IM are safe bets if you like the theme.

#18 5 years ago

I will add or subtract from my previous post to say that it's also nice to get a cheaper machine like FT as you said its a lot cheaper. I started out this way back in the day my first two pins were T2 and Bride of Pinbot which I got two for $3800. Great value there.

But as I've got more into the pinball scene, I've spent a lot more. But no need to rush in, if you want to get your feet wet with a nice cheap pin, no problem there at all.

I will say *I* like the newer games. Tron, IM, ST AcDc etc,, but that does not mean the older games are not a heck of a lot of fun as well. You need to figure out what you like, it's not as if you are married to whatever you choose. You can always play a game for a month or a year and move on from it or keep it and add to your collection, I've found that one game by itself is going to get stale after a while and either changing to a different game or adding to your collection will occur.

#19 5 years ago

I'd go with TWD. I dislike FT myself. I know there is a lot of love for it. It just doesn't jive with me.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I'd go with TWD. I dislike FT myself. I know there is a lot of love for it. It just doesn't jive with me.

I don't want to agree too strongly but this is my assessment also, if OP had said T2 (in place of FT) that would be my suggestion. I am just not the FT fan.

#21 5 years ago

I'll toss something else in the pot. Get FT but you could also contemplate at looking at other early 90's williams games in that price range that are awesome.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'd say buy a FT, sounds like a good price if half a TWD pro. Then you have money for a second, and no matter what, two machines are better than one.

I agree, except for the last statement. Sometimes one machine is better than two. I would much rather have TWD over Rogo and Honey, and I have not played TWD yet.

#23 5 years ago

If it is your only pin for a bit, FT will get annoying. I had FT, it was fun for a little bit then I didn't like it. I would enjoy playing it on route or at a friends house, just not owning it again.

#24 5 years ago

If I were you, I wouldn't pay $6k+ USD for my first machine. That's just me though..

#25 5 years ago

I would definitely commit - right now - to paying three to four times as much for the game nobody has ever played (and will instantly lose $500 or so when you open the box) over the much cheaper 20 year old game that everyone has played and formed an opinion on.

You simply have no choice. Pull out your CC and make this happen NOW!

(or you could wait this one out a month or two and make a more informed decision)

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I agree, except for the last statement. Sometimes one machine is better than two. I would much rather have TWD over Rogo and Honey, and I have not played TWD yet.

Well, you know what I mean. Two other decent machines over one A lister any day, and especially over one new overpriced, unproven stern with the same recipe as all the others (two ramps, bash toy, magnet - bash away on all x times blah).

#27 5 years ago

TWD all the way, even without having played it yet. I liked FT's at the arcade in the 90's but now that song and the overall gameplay gets tedious real quick. JMO

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

If I were you, I wouldn't pay $6k+ USD for my first machine. That's just me though..

The pro's are much less than that.....

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The pro's are much less than that.....

Outside of the US it's different.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Outside of the US it's different.

Ohhhh totally missed the OP was outside the US, my bad. You are right, prices outside are #@$@#$ crazy.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from geekmiki:

As everything here, it's of course a bit overpriced... Remember, we go to Denmark and we think it's cheap(er).

Yet a NIB is more expensive in Denmark :<

If you ever stop by, I'll gladly pay for a beer. Danish pricing of course!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would definitely commit - right now - to paying three to four times as much for the game nobody has ever played (and will instantly lose $500 or so when you open the box) over the much cheaper 20 year old game that everyone has played and formed an opinion on.
You simply have no choice. Pull out your CC and make this happen NOW!
(or you could wait this one out a month or two and make a more informed decision)

In case you don't understand New York humor, Crazy Levi is joking with you. Let me translate: Why would you spend 2X whatever kind of money you use over there to buy a new game that you haven't played and nobody you know has played, that you may or may not like to play, and which may or may not work perfectly out of the box, but which will assuredly drop in value as soon as you open the box, when you could buy a game that you enjoy playing?

In other words, buy the FT and disconnect the topper when you get it home.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

In other words, buy the FT and disconnect the topper when you get it home.

Or sell it.

You can get big money for Fish Tales toppers.

#34 5 years ago

Get FT.

It's your first pin. Something tells me that if you get TWD first, you'll have champaign tastes here on out (for the most part). By by savings.

AND FT is a great pin.

#35 5 years ago

Another reason to not get anything new is that you will get very tired waiting for the playable code for two years.

#36 5 years ago

Before seeing the video in another thread here I would have suggested TWD as a new machine with a great theme. But now, I'd have to go with a proven, reasonably priced title like FT, especially if you're buying now. Play the heck out of it and look at getting a TWD in about year, after the big update that makes it finally up to its potential. I'm suddenly not feeling like TWD game play is anywhere near what I thought it would be when I reviewed the playfield.

#37 5 years ago

FT for sure. Wait to play a TWD before u make that decision.

#38 5 years ago

FT!!!

#39 5 years ago
#40 5 years ago

FT!

Sterns in general lack personality, with few exceptions. They're not bad, some are even great, but you'll have plenty of possibilities to test them in the next few months as you won't be staying with just one pin anyway. Williams is gone and most likely FT will never be produced again. Readily available consumer product vs. limited collectors item that is irreplaceable.
From a technical standpoint Ballly/Williams pinballs are superior anyway, apart from disgustingly bright LED lighting Stern has never done anything innovative, instead they have pushed pinball back into the age before subways were invented.

#41 5 years ago

SURVEY!!!

#42 5 years ago

Well looks like TWD is really not getting much love since the videos were posted. As I mentioned, I know (or at least want to believe) that this is early code and the game will probably be much better in the future.

Actually, I've realized that I could order other recent Stern's from my distributor: MET, ACDC, IM, etc.

So, for now I'll gently wait to see better pictures of FT, before going to see it for real and if that one isn't in a satisfying condition, I'll consider another recent NIB Stern.

Thanks again for all your input! It's been really helpful!

#43 5 years ago

The thing is, you may want to see if you are in pinball for the long term, or if you are going to get bored after your first game. Use a cheaper (good) game to test the waters. If you get the bug, then go all out. It's kind of a large investment compared to other hobbies, even with something like a FT.

#44 5 years ago

As you pointed out, it's too soon to tell if TWD will be great, or decent, or a turd. It might be worthwhile to consider a different, already proven, NIB title such as Iron Man Vault Edition, or Metallica.

#45 5 years ago

I'd never buy a pin before getting plays in because you might think you like it based on what you read and how it looks online, but when you get a chance to play it you realize it's not for you. I'd say if you like FT than save your money and buy that, especially since you say it is restored. In that case it depends on what restored means. To me that means it should be as solid or better than a NIB pin.

#46 5 years ago

IMVE......winner in my book........Joey

#47 5 years ago

Fish Tales is a great game and an especially great competition game but will get boring after a while as your sole daily play. 1 multiball type + monster fish catching over and over fades out. If you're getting a game to practice and get better FT is a pretty good choice because it has a certain amount of classic difficulty and you can trade up later. If you want sustainability you need a game with depth like Indy, MM, TOM, WoZ, Lotr, Xmen, possibly TWD etc.

#48 5 years ago

Get Met or ACDC.
No question if you can afford them.
Premium though -at least for ACDC.

#49 5 years ago

I've also sent an inquiry to the distributor here to see if he could get a Met Premium...
So wait and see, but I think for the time being, TWD is almost discarded.

Update: The FT finally wasn't restored as expected/announced. The playfield is ok, but the cab is not in good shape: decals are faded (quite common on FT from what I've read) and there is a huge chip in the cab.
I could start a restore job, but I prefer not too. At least not for my 1st pin.

So looks like NIB is the viable option (rememeber, Norway is not like the US, we don't have pinballs for sale at every corner).
I'm quite positive for a Met Premium: solid gameplay and rules, hours of fun and challenge, even though Metallica is not my favorite band.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St Charles, MO
$ 109.99
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside