Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail (8) (resized).jpg
thumbnail (7) (resized).jpg
4CA006D9-4E10-4AC2-AB00-BB76E36D6CAF (resized).jpeg
9B2132BE-F8E5-488B-B9FE-4A80F1966997 (resized).jpeg
EF61375E-7067-4B32-9FDF-7D02033CE34E (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I bought my first pinball machine earlier today- The Shadow that I got an awesome deal on- and since bringing it home I noticed the ball lock "Sanctum" has not been working. I will hit the ball in the Sanctum area but the magnet appears to not be working. It still registers as a lock shot but it doesn't hold the ball. Is there something I should look for as a quick fix? I'm excited to work on this thing and make it immaculate and this is the only major issue that I've noticed so far that I need to fix. I tried to research the issue already but to no avail.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from data_eastside:

I bought my first pinball machine earlier today- The Shadow that I got an awesome deal on- and since bringing it home I noticed the ball lock "Sanctum" has not been working. I will hit the ball in the Sanctum area but the magnet appears to not be working. It still registers as a lock shot but it doesn't hold the ball. Is there something I should look for as a quick fix? I'm excited to work on this thing and make it immaculate and this is the only major issue that I've noticed so far that I need to fix. I tried to research the issue already but to no avail.

Check to see if it was disabled in the adjustments menu.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Check to see if it was disabled in the adjustments menu.

And also if it was disconnected under the playfield.

#4 1 year ago

And also do a “repeat” solenoid test of the magnet in the service menu (with the coin door closed)

Hold ball by magnet and see if it works

#5 1 year ago

Tell us more about this deal too ha! I was actually on the fence about Shadow until I got mine in a trade early last year...it's become probably my favorite WPC game since then...fantastic grab for a first game!

#6 1 year ago

Look under the playfield and check the switch that activates when the wall is in the down position.

#7 1 year ago

So is the wall up the whole time or does it go down when you hit a ball up there? If it’s registering locks when you hit the wall, the optos are working at least. Start with easier solutions first — disabled? Unplugged? It’s possible it could have burned out the transistor then if those don’t solve it.

#8 1 year ago

You hit a home run with Shadow as your first pin. Congrats!

There is good advice up above in the comments, so I will just give advice that there are many YouTube tutorials that will help you troubleshoot, and here is a good game-specific website:

https://www.pinball.co.uk/pinball-problems/the-shadow-pinball-machine-repair-guide/

Also, check out The Shadow thread on here. It has lots of Shadow owners that can help as well

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-club

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Look under the playfield and check the switch that activates when the wall is in the down position.

Update- the switch arm that presses the switch was the issue. I took it off and reconfigured it so that it was pressing the switch when the wall went down and so far it's working perfectly. This thread helped me immensely :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-shadow-sanctum-target-repair

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Tell us more about this deal too ha! I was actually on the fence about Shadow until I got mine in a trade early last year...it's become probably my favorite WPC game since then...fantastic grab for a first game!

I got it for 3K. It was on Facebook and I happened upon it like 20 mins after it was posted and got in my car and drove the 2 hours to go get it since I knew it was such a good deal. It's an unreal game. Definitely has that "one more game" factor going for it.

#11 1 year ago

I got it for 3K. It was on Facebook and I happened upon it like 20 mins after it was posted and got in my car and drove the 2 hours to go get it since I knew it was such a good deal. It's an unreal game. Definitely has that "one more game" factor going for it.

You did very well

#12 1 year ago

3k?! Dang that’s pricing from years ago.. lately seems decent to very nice shadows list 4.5 to 6.5.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

3k?! Dang that’s pricing from years ago.. lately seems decent to very nice shadows list 4.5 to 6.5.

Yeah it was a crazy deal. The guy didn't know what it was worth and since he listed it for that and I was the first person to contact him, he honored his word. I had been looking for a few months for a 90s DMD for around 3K and had resigned myself to a Shaq Attack or something similar haha and this just popped up outta nowhere. Lucky day

#14 1 year ago

Thanks. I have no interest in flipping it like I feel like alot of people would do though. I will pass this game down to my future kids

#15 1 year ago

Thanks. I have no interest in flipping it like I feel like alot of people would do though. I will pass this game down to my future kids

Hell yeah, my kinda deal ha. Glad you got it playing, great game! No shame in the selling game, don't let the pinball ethics patrol in your head. It's your game now so do what you want with it! If you end up falling out of love with it (happens to all of us) at some point, move it on for something you like more!

#16 1 year ago

Update- the switch arm that presses the switch was the issue. I took it off and reconfigured it so that it was pressing the switch when the wall went down and so far it's working perfectly. This thread helped me immensely :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-shadow-sanctum-target-repair

While you’re messing with it here’s a “fix” I made a little quick and dirty on mine as it sometimes wouldn’t pop up the sanctum wall high enough for the locking pin to grab it.
I made a bushing on the pop up arm out of two dry wall plugs, one 8mm and one 10mm. Perfect fit and cost is negligible.
Also congratulations on an absolutely fantastic game. I love mine to death.
9B2132BE-F8E5-488B-B9FE-4A80F1966997 (resized).jpeg9B2132BE-F8E5-488B-B9FE-4A80F1966997 (resized).jpeg4CA006D9-4E10-4AC2-AB00-BB76E36D6CAF (resized).jpeg4CA006D9-4E10-4AC2-AB00-BB76E36D6CAF (resized).jpegEF61375E-7067-4B32-9FDF-7D02033CE34E (resized).jpegEF61375E-7067-4B32-9FDF-7D02033CE34E (resized).jpeg

#17 1 year ago

That is the lowest price I have heard of anyone getting in YEARS. Great buy!

It is your game, so there is no need to worry about it if you want to sell...but I wouldn't recommend it. You won't find that price again in this lifetime. I would also consider it a top 10 pin ever made.

#18 1 year ago

Does anybody know how the switch (pictured) is supposed to attach to the wall target assembly?. It clearly wasn't engaging the switch and I was bending it around and it came loose. I can't find anywhere a clear picture that shows how it attaches to the wall target assembly. I also found this little white piece of plastic on the floor of the machine and thought maybe it was involved in attaching the switch arm?

thumbnail (7) (resized).jpgthumbnail (7) (resized).jpgthumbnail (8) (resized).jpgthumbnail (8) (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago

You need to remove those two screws on the left that holds the metal plate over the switch. The block box thing with wires attached is the switch. The swingarm just attaches to one end of it. You might be able to put it back on with the switch still attached but probably easier removing it.

As the swingarm moves down, it presses on a little button on the switch which is what triggers the switch. If the swingarm comes off easily, you can bend the ears closer together. Just make sure the switch activates that little button and releases as the wall moves down and up. If this is not working, you can always buy a new switch as they are not expensive.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You need to remove those two screws on the left that holds the metal plate over the switch. The block box thing with wires attached is the switch. The swingarm just attaches to one end of it. You might be able to put it back on with the switch still attached but probably easier removing it.
As the swingarm moves down, it presses on a little button on the switch which is what triggers the switch. If the swingarm comes off easily, you can bend the ears closer together. Just make sure the switch activates that little button and releases as the wall moves down and up. If this is not working, you can always buy a new switch as they are not expensive.

Nice write up

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pinball-the-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.