First Pinball purchase SMVE?

By Beyndtstng

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have been into pinball since high school and I'm finally ready to purchase my first machine. My all-time favorites in order would be TWZ, SM, ToM and the new Star Trek. I'm not really a mechanical guy so I am hesitant on buying a used machine because I wouldn't know the first thing about how to fix it or if it was in great condition.

I have been looking at SM for a while but just haven't pulled the trigger yet for the above reasons. With the new vault edition being released I am strongly considering the purchase. I have read the posts on the forums about it being overpriced so that has made me hesitate a bit. I was wondering if anyone here could offer me advice. I like the Star Trek pin but I really like the look of the premium and Stern doesn't seem to be remaking those yet.

I am definitely a player who looks for the pin that suits my style of play over the theme although I do love Star Trek for both. I live in the Kansas City area and I have reached out to a few local people as well. I would really like to purchase one of the four machines I have listed. Need to do it quick before the wife changes her mind.

Thank you all for your time.

Jim

#2 8 years ago

Do you go to that pizza place that has all those pins?

I went with JayhawkAi to that bar the day they had a tourney last year after the BBQ World Series,lots of newer games still In production you could buy that they have to play.

I honestly wouldn't consider a SMVE till I got a few test plays on one.

Met premium would be a better buy than SMVE at this point, TWD and IMVE as well.....

#3 8 years ago

If you like Star Trek, get one NIB.
You get a game you like and you get a new game so you shouldn't need to fix anything.
All you need is to play and enjoy.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

You get a game you like and you get a new game so you shouldn't need to fix anything.

Just remember Op, there will be things to fix even on a NIB but you can get replacement parts/boards if needed. If it's beyond your comfort level of attempting the repair grab some good beer and invite a local pinsider over to help you, get some good brisket too.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I have read the posts on the forums about it being overpriced so that has made me hesitate a bit.

Don't worry about it.

I think it's overpriced too, but that's because you can get the old one for so much cheaper. You're a buyer who wants a NIB experience, so just take that into account. If you have the money and you want it I wouldn't listen to our bitching too much. It's not the best value in the world compared to some other games that have more features, but it's fine.

Games will develop problems, even NIB ones have issues. You'll learn to fix them. It's not that scary. This whole forum will be happy to help you.

Honestly though, a HUO game might be more problem free than a new one, so don't think that new is the only way to go. But you'll get better warranty and phone support with a new game.

I'd listen to centerflank and buy Metallica instead, but only you know what games you want.

#6 8 years ago

A pinball machine is a mechanical device
At some point it will need you to take off the glass and fix something
Luckly stern machines have few problems

I would suggest you buy a ssecond hand game, most problems are QC issues from the factory, the original owner will have sorted them out

#7 8 years ago

You can't go wrong with ST Premium. You are fortunate that Stern is offering MeT, IM, TWD, SMVE and ST all at the same time right now. Amazing lineup to pick from! You need to call around to get NIB or New in box prices. You can't email per Stern distributor rules. Premiums will be around mid 6k's delivered. Good luck and let us know what you get.

#8 8 years ago

I wouldn't buy SMVE if this is your first game. Reason being, you'll probably play the crap out of it and get tired of it faster than you would a normal machine, so you may want to change it out after 6 months to a year. At the current price, you're going to take a pretty decent hit probably on it. Save your money, find a newer used Stern, they're all pretty reliable and shouldn't cause you any issues.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

Still learn how to solder. Even if it is a NIB you will at some point still need to do simple fixes.. The more you get familiar with the machine the more you will be obsessed with the hobby..

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

NIB.
You get a game you like and you get a new game so you shouldn't need to fix anything

Famous last words. Lol . Buy it if you want a new Spider -Man Vault Edition . I personally would recommend if you can find one. A new STERN STAR TREK Premium or Theatre of Magic it is such a classic. Good luck .

#11 8 years ago

Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know if stern will remake a Star Trek premium? Right now I see a couple for sale but 8-9k seems a bit much. Does anyone have a lead on one? I would be interested in that mid 6 range.

In response to pinnyheadhead does that mean distributors are only allowed to talk deals on the phone? Can someone pm me one they recommend? Thanks again guys...

#12 8 years ago

Just my opinion:
SMVE isnt $2000 more pin then ST Pro.

I can already tell your probally not the SMVE buyer since your researching/thinking before purchase. From my experience on Vault Editions is that you cant get as good a deal as other new pins from Stern. So if ST Premium was still being made it would be $300-$500 less then SMVE so on both occasions id go with ST.

#13 8 years ago

Cointaker / Tilt Amusement / Pinball Refinery / Game Exchange of Colorado.

You'll want to call each and get a quote over phone.

#14 8 years ago

Your getting some good advice so far. If you love the new sm, don't worry about the price and get the game you want. I personally would recommend in not particular order:
Metallica
St
Got

Congrats on a nib purchase. The only other thing I would recommend is if you have a budget for 6-7k you may consider grabbing two pins for some variety.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Just my opinion:
SMVE isnt $2000 more pin then ST Pro.
I can already tell your probally not the SMVE buyer since your researching/thinking before purchase. From my experience on Vault Editions is that you cant get as good a deal as other new pins from Stern. So if ST Premium was still being made it would be $300-$500 less then SMVE so on both occasions id go with ST.

Hey there. How is yours earning?

#16 8 years ago

I was just in your shoes 9 months ago having never owned one. I like NIB for the first time pin owner. Sure you're paying a bit more(depending on title I guess), but the only mistake you can make is wrong game or wrong price. Getting a good distributor should take care of paying too much. Setting expectations are everything on a NIB purchase and if I could give any advise from a new persons perspective it would be this. Expect to put some time in adjustments or working through issues on the game at first, this is normal. Once you've got it set up, its a commercial grade equipment and you're probably not going to bust anything for sometime unless you're like me and you start tinkering with things you shouldn't be. When you do break it(and if your anything like me you will), this forum is just incredible for help.

Buying a used pin can be great as well(HUO)! I purchased a SM for my 2nd machine this summer and have just had a blast with it. Knock on wood, not one issue with it so far. I'd just recommend bringing someone experienced with you to inspect. I think a TOM or TWZ might lend itself towards a bit more experience with repair and maintenance(maybe a 2nd or 3rd pin). That's not to say shouldn't own one, just that you should be prepared to spend more time fixing as they are 20 years old. Just my thoughts

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I personally would recommend in not particular order:
Metallica
St
Got

He isn't after a GoT.

#18 8 years ago

If Spiderman really is one of your all time favorite pins just get the god damn VE. You're the prime person the machine was made for. If your aim was strictly a NIB experience, maybe I would say to hold off, maybe. But you love the game already. Just get the effin' game.

#19 8 years ago

I just don't want to be the "sucker" who pays $7k for a pin that I would potentially lose a lot of money on selling it in a couple of years. I don't mind losing some money but not more than $1500. I'm concerned that the SMVE is priced so high that it might only be worth 5K down the road.

I love the play of SM but also love the play of the new Star Trek. Would that be a "smarter" purchase? Has anyone had the experience of playing the pro and the premium? Is the premium worth paying/waiting for? Thank you for the responses.

#20 8 years ago

The smart purchase would be a used game, they will be broken in and at market price... meaning you will have a better chance selling it for your cost than you would NIB. The money you save with a used game can be used to hire a tech when things go bad, and you will learn how to fix things from that. If you can work a screwdriver and a soldering iron you can fix most issues, and the rest will come with experience.

For you I would stick with a Stern which will be relatively maintenance free compared to anything prior to 2000. If you still believe NIB are more trouble free than used, I'll just say that I spent more time troubleshooting my NIB MET than I have any other pin that I've owned, some of which are up to 35 years old.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I love the play of SM but also love the play of the new Star Trek. Would that a "smarter" purchase? Has anyone had the experience of playing the pro and the premium? Is the premium worth paying/waiting for?

I have owned both versions of ST and currently own the pro. ST pro is missing zero percent of the gameplay of the premium. It is how pros should be. I'm not going to try and convince you of whether or not the extras on the premium are worth it, but I will tell you ST (along with Met) is the best pro out there in terms of completeness.

#22 8 years ago

Hi, I just thought I would add my thoughts as a newbie...
I bought my first pin a couple of months ago, The Shadow. Very tight budget, NIB out of the question.

One thing I didn't bargain for was the enjoyment I would get from the machine.... by repairing it!
It was a very good deal and played great when I viewed it.

Since then its had new stand up targets, opto's, switches, stuck flippers fixed, a good clean, bulbs changed, lots of soldering and general maintenance and trouble shooting.

Touch wood it is now playing great, and the feeling of fixing things and knowing the real inner workings of the machine has endeared me to it more than I think a NIB ever would.

Bottom line, if you like the feeling of achievement by fixing things, an older pin will deliver!

For your budget, you could get 2 well sorted pins anyway and maybe not have to do much repairing. I had to get the pin I did purely through how expensive they are over here. But I wouldn't change a thing, its been a brilliant experience and Pinside has helped immensely.

Either way, I envy you and your first pin choice!

#23 8 years ago

Buy what your gut feeling tells you... new, used, doesn't matter it's pinball..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pinball-purchase-smve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.