Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 6.21.42 PM (resized).png
4 IMG_1782 (resized).JPG
5 IMG_1783 (resized).JPG
3 IMG_1781 (resized).JPG
2 IMG_1779 (resized).JPG
1 IMG_1780 (resized).JPG
tenor (resized).png
Laughing..gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adaminski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

TLDR: Getting a first pin. Decided on SW Premium (new). Then 2 LOTR Pro showed up on local craigslist yesterday (12/2/18). Any advice on SW Premium vs LOTR Pro, and if I go LOTR Pro, which one looks better? Craigslist links below.

----------------

We are getting a pin at home as a present for me. Mostly considered new games. We are in Seattle area, and have taken advantage of all the great pubs and arcades to play a LOT of pinball. Decision is mine, but my wife has veto power. Theme is important to me, I found, especially when I can hear the game. I love music, but not metal. So the only music one that would work is Beatles - and it's a lovely game, but we like the ramps and bells and whistles of the other newer games. I would consider us beginner players, even though I've played pinball for 40+ years.

Pretty much decided on #star-wars-stern-le. Love the theme. I was 11 when I saw "A New Hope" at the local small town theater in the summer of 1977. Even though SW pin is difficult, the speed and ramps are addictive, and it doesn't matter if ball times are shorter since it's on free play in your home. 2nd place was Guardians of the Galaxy (Pro), but the use of voices that weren't movie actors and the way the choppy clip implementation (IMO) dragged it down. Plus, I like GOTG, but don't love it.

I do also love LOTR (books and movies and pinball machine). Yesterday, I got a curve ball on the decision to get a new game. 2 separate Lord of the Rings machines showed up on local Craigslist. I initially thought someday LOTR would make a great 2nd pin if it came up used in my area. (Yeah, I'm already admitting that out loud, even in front of the wife).

I know the sellers may likely be Pinside members. Sorry in advance! Anyone have any input on the LOTR for sale below - compared to each other or to a new SW Premium? One of the LOTR has a lot of mods, and one is more stock. The stock one is much closer to me (20 minutes vs 1 hour), but I can rent a truck and make trip in middle of the day to avoid traffic.

Seems that there are a lot of Stern SW available right now (even used). Maybe that will still be the case in a couple of years. LOTR available less frequently, maybe.

My wife isn't as big of a LOTR fan, but this is my "present" from her. She loves GOT pinball (as do I)... maybe we should get that for a 2nd...

Thanks in advance for any advice. My guess is that this is a timely decision. I have no idea how long LOTR will last on Craigslist in our area.

Since links will die, for reference I put the text descriptions here. Both machines looked very good in pictures.

Seattle LOTR Pro ($6000):

- Excellent condition LOTR pinball machine.
- Considered to be one of the best pinball games of all time (ranked #5 on pinside.com).
- Bought this from a family in Edmonds. I'm the second owner.
- Machine is in excellent working condition with minor cosmetic wear.
- Manual included.
- Cash preferred (may be willing to try paypal/venmo if requested).

I'm willing to help pack and load the machine, but buyer should plan to haul it themselves. I live in a second floor condo with an elevator, so moving it should not be an issue.

Tacoma LOTR Pro ($5600):

Lord of the Rings pinball machine, lots of mods and upgrades. Pingraffix pinblades, special pinball life flipper coils, ColorDMD, shaker motor installed, shire decal, PDI target decal set, palantir color changing LED, Mind Orbits color changing shooter rod, Path of the Dead figures added, NVram installed, no batteries neeeded, some LEDs installed. Playfield in good condition, some wear on cabinet. Never been on location, I am the 3rd owner and have owned pinball machine about 12 years. Has manual and a few extra parts included. Game plays and works great.

-Adam

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for all the quick advice. I see that I may have made an error in posting the Craigslist ad. Oh well. I honestly wasn't sure if that was the better machine (regardless of deal/price). Maybe it was already pending or sold and the post just hasn't been updated.

FWIW I contacted the seller in Tacoma, stating that I wanted to buy, and left my phone number and email. We'll see....

-Adam

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Wise decision! Hope you're able to grab it.

Quoted from scottslash:

That LOTR in Tacoma seems the best of the 3 choices IMO.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'd jump on that LOTR in Tacoma immediately.

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Hmm... that LOTR in Tacoma is a fantastic deal.

Quoted from Jgel:

Just some friendly advice...If you find a good deal on craigslist like the second one you listed with the color DMD I would not post it here.

Quoted from DudeRegular:

The LOTR in Tacoma would already be in my truck. Get a Star Wars later would be my suggestion.

Quoted from Adaminski:

FWIW I contacted the seller in Tacoma, stating that I wanted to buy, and left my phone number and email. We'll see....

Thanks one last time to everyone for their input.

I was not the first person to contact the LOTR owner in Tacoma. There were 3 others before me. However, I was the first one to contact him that wanted to buy, and not trade. So, I won. Play test, payment, and delivery tomorrow, as long as schedules don't get changed. The Craigslist post has been deleted.

-Adam

#30 5 years ago

This was a great transaction with a wonderful pinball collector and restorer, who I believe lurks on Pinside. Now that I'm officially in the hobby, I hope to cross paths with him again at events in "Pugetopolis," especially at the Northwest Pinball Show (http://nwpinballshow.com), where my new LOTR Pro has previously been exhibited.

Oh, and missing from the original ad was that he also added a shaker, and there were more than a few extra parts, including a lot of figures for the play field and possibly for a topper if I want to add them. Plus he helped me set up the machine in my home and showed me the ropes. Oh, and while not a LE, it does have a signed card from George Gomez.

Attached are pictures, per request. I can't wait to start playing! And neither can my friends and family!

-Adam

1 IMG_1780 (resized).JPG1 IMG_1780 (resized).JPG2 IMG_1779 (resized).JPG2 IMG_1779 (resized).JPG4 IMG_1782 (resized).JPG4 IMG_1782 (resized).JPG3 IMG_1781 (resized).JPG3 IMG_1781 (resized).JPG5 IMG_1783 (resized).JPG5 IMG_1783 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 7.50
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adaminski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pinball-machinesw-premium-or-lotr-pro-or?tu=adaminski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.