Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_4270 (resized).JPG
    DSC_4271 (resized).JPG
    _20231119_153740 (resized).JPG
    pp (resized).jpg
    BBD5EFFC-B0F3-4082-A9FB-1A0B1FB0A61D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago

So I just got my first pin and I'm enjoying it but I'm starting to get a little stressed about all of the inconsistencies/things that could go wrong. Almost makes me not want to turn it on sometimes just because I'm anxious something won't work right.

Is this just the life of a pinball owner? Constant tweaking and adjusting, cleaning etc or am I being oversensitive because it's all so new?

It's an Iron Maiden Pro which is a relatively simple table but little things like the ball coming out of the wireform ramp or making some crazy jumps at times has me wondering how often I'll be adjusting things and how much it will affect how the table plays over time.

Also any advice for which parts I should buy spares of to have on hand now?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Mu first reaction to your post was an eyeroll, but I'm in a good mood tonight so I'll try to be helpful for once.
    1. Shed your stress. These are commercial machines built to last tens of thousands of plays. Most homeowners never hit 1000 plays and are needlessly concerned due to simply not knowing better/being new. Perform basic maintenance as described below and you'll be fine.
    2. For you, no need to buy any replacement parts.Waste of money unless something breaks. I keep some replacements for wear and tear items on hand, but I have 12 pins, including several much older than yours, and also used to operate 8-9 pins.
    3. Replace the balls every 1000-2000 plays as they will get dinged up.
    4. Rebuild the flippers every 5000-10000 plays, or as needed.
    5. Clean the playfield every 300-500 plays. All you need is Simple Green and a microfiber rag. If you want to add some protection apply some (a little goes a long way) carbuba paste wax after you clean the playfield, but be ready for the game to play much faster, for better or worse, due to rediced friction. You can polish out fine acratches in your playfield with Novis 2 and a microfiber cloth. Do not do this every cleaning. Once a year is plenty for a home use pin.
    6. If something breaks you can email Stern tech support for help basically forever, or get tech help on pinside, but try Stern first since it's free. There are also pinball techs in most areas that can take the fixing side of the hobby off your plate for a few bucks.
    7. When you go to sell someday nobody will care whether your pin has 500 plays or 5000 plays, so play the hell out of it.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Like anything I'm sure I'll get used to it. I know it's just switches and wires like every other machine I've worked on but the whole thing still seems a little like magic to me.

The reminder that they're made for public use is a good one... I have a DDR machine and sometimes I forget that it's literally designed to be stomped on by children all day long. I need to relax and enjoy it more!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pinball-machine-club?tu=Anony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.