Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mbeardsley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago

Play them all and buy what you like best. There are many different play styles in that list...none really compare directly to each other, and only you know what you enjoy. Also, I realize this is at a dealer, but $4k is definitely high for all of them, so they better be in perfect shape and hopefully they offer some sort of support to make it worth the extra money.

For me personally, I probably like Jurassic Park best out of those. Many people love Bride, but it doesn't do much for me. RCT is the most modern of the group, and it a pretty cool, underrated game. T2 is a well loved classic from the early DMD era.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

I usually hate these answers; but most of the games you listed are $2000-3500 games to me. If I had $4000, personally I’d save up an extra $500 and wait for a newer Stern to come around. I’ve seen Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, and others sell for close or $4500. I think you’ll get far more enjoyment, value, and bang for buck doing this. Just my $0.02.

This. If you can stretch the budget a bit, you go from decent choices to great choices. $4k is an awkward price point these days. $4.5-$5.5 opens up a ton of great possibilities, covering most modern Stern pros and many of the B/W "B-range" titles.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbb491:

where is good place to buy from? are those prices from individuals or retail? thx

This website is the largest place to find other pinball enthusiasts, and there is a very active marketplace here. Eventually you will build a network of people and buying and selling within that network is definitely best. Do a marketplace search near you and see what is available. It's pretty easy to see who has a good reputation around here too. Otherwise Facebook groups are becoming a bigger and bigger source of buying and selling, but I would say there is slightly more risk there. Craigslist used to be great, but that's pretty much dead.

A quality retailer isn't necessarily a bad thing though. You generally will pay more, but SHOULD get some level of support after the sale. But like anything, some are respectable, some are not. A good one can be a great way to go for a newcomer though. Just be careful not to get taken advantage of (by a retailer or individual). Posting here for advise is a great way to avoid that. The prices you posted for those titles, are high. Not insanely high, but definitely high. As I mentioned...I would expect them to be in very good shape, 100% working, and backed by some sort of service agreement or warranty for those prices. And make sure that you love the game before spending that much for it. When you buy smart you can get most if not all of your money back out of a game if you decide to sell. At these prices, you will lose money if/when you sell them.

Also pins are like potato chips. You might THINK this will be your only machine...but....

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from pindel:

Road show. Should be easy to sell and has tons of action. You could upgrade with pinsound and color dmd in the future if it’s a keeper.

I would have to agree...of this list of games, a RS under $4k is the only one that sounds like a decent deal...as long as it isn't a basket case. But definitely make sure you like the game. Machine preference is such a personal thing, you have to figure out what you like before spending that kind of money. RS is a pretty cool game, but definitely not universally loved. Few machines are though...even the top rated games like MM or AFM aren't loved by everyone.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbb491:

when buying from a person on pinside who is not in your area and shipping is needed, how is payment handled? how do you know if the machine is good working order, what should you look for? do you have recourse from seller? thanks

Personally...I don't. I only buy local (which I define as how far I'm willing to drive) so it's either from someone I know and trust or I can inspect it myself first. If distance buying I think I would only buy from someone with a good reputation here. Really, it's all about trust level or how much you are willing to gamble. In general, there is no "recourse" as these are person to person deals, and there is not ebay/Amazon/etc as a go-between. And honestly so much can happen in transport that many things may not even be the sellers fault. In general...especially as you are new...buy a brand new machine from a reputable dealer or buy a machine local that you can check out yourself first.

Quoted from mbb491:

How do you normally transport the machine? Van? Do the machines fold up? Do you take the legs off? How to pack it for transportation? thanks!

Legs come off. Modern games the head folds down, older games it comes off. Most larger SUVs can fit a game. The limiting factor is usually height of the rear opening. Vans should all work, and most can take 2-3 games. Pick up truck is nice, especially if you have a cap.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pinball-for-4k-or-less?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.