(Topic ID: 288491)

First pin suggestions - Something similar to TZ.

By rubysbest1

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubysbest1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

In 1996 I got my first "real job", and the ice cream shop next door had a Twilight Zone where I spent a non-trivial amount of time and money. Frankly I wasn't very good, but I really liked it. That same description of my pinball skill probably applies today as well.

Fast forward to today, my first thought was to go buy a Twilight Zone but I'm concerned about buying such an old game. I'm a relatively handy and mechanical person, but frankly I already have a dizzying number of things to maintain and work on in my life, and at the moment, I'm looking more for a pinball playing hobby than a pinball repair hobby. I recognize I'll likely need or want to do something at some point for any game, even a brand new one, but I'd like a high play time to repair time ratio.

I've been looking around at some of the top 100 games, and I've made a list of likes and dislikes, which I think I can be summed up into these two games:

* Elvira's House of Horrors (Limited Edition) Dislikes:
    ** Long, obnoxious cut scenes
    ** It feels like all the play is at the top of the playfield, and so the middle feels very boring.
    ** Doesn't feel very chaotic, or "dynamic".

* Twilight Zone likes:
    ** Multi flippers
    ** The mini playfield
    ** It's "mechanically loud" - clacks, pops, clicks, etc.
    ** Dot matrix screen
    ** There are lots of bumpers, ramps, and targets spread around the playfield, which I feel makes the play more fun
    ** It feels a little chaotic, which is fun.

I'm not to concerned with theme, in fact especially if there is a value to be had, I'd sort of enjoy a less popular themed game, with the qualities of good game play I listed above.

My budget would allow for a brand new game, which I assume would help with time spent repairing, but I'm located in Central California, 3 hours from LA, and 3 hours from SF, so there seems to be a good selection of used games available as well.

Are there other games I should be looking at, which offer action packed, full playfield TZ-like play, on a newer lower maintenance platform, or that are known for being low maintenance machines?

Thanks folks.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I really think you would be happiest with a very good condition twilight zone.

I hear ya, I'm just not sure I know enough to identify a good 30 year old game from a not-so-good 30 year old game, especially from several hours away before I drive there.

Thanks

#27 3 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I had looked at dialed in early on, and sort of forgot about it as I kept looking. I'm putting it towards the top of my list, since I think it does seem to tick a lot of the same boxes, but obviously it's newer. Wonka also looks like it may be a good choice for a new one (though availability looks like a challenge for wonka).

I've also decided not to be afraid of TZ just because of its age, and it's officially going on the list. Here's a TZ table that's about a 5 hour drive from me. It's obviously been used in a bar environment, but he has a good pinside reputation.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/101955

What are your thoughts on that table?

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:Perhaps he's British??? Might have to rent a lorry, then put the table in the lift to get it up to his flat?

Hahaha bollocks mate, you bloody got me.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Uh oh, you're new here....it's not a table....
    I am working on the dream of retiring in Atascadero/Templeton. There are some pinsiders up there in the central coast.

I'm born and raised in Atascadero, and live in Templeton now. Good luck on the dream. If you get serious about it, and want feedback on specific areas or whatever, feel free to ask me.

Quoted from herg:

The right magnaflip plastic is pretty much shattered, the left sling corner is cracked, and there is no detail in the pictures. For $7900, I'd pass, but I'm probably completely out of touch on TZ pricing.

Awesome. Thanks for pointing out those specific things. I figured if it was still up on pinside market after a month, there had to be something I wasn't seeing.

Quoted from hawkmoon:

I would ask a fellow insider in the area to completely check that baby out!!IMHO.

Is that a common thing for random pinsider strangers to do? What's the protocol for that sort of thing?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubysbest1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pin-suggestions?tu=rubysbest1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.