(Topic ID: 288491)

First pin suggestions - Something similar to TZ.

By rubysbest1

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 3 years ago

TZ was my first pin, purchased over 20 years ago. If you're willing to pay for a good one up front, I would say mine has been pretty solid over the years. Try to buy from a known seller, and Pinsiders can advise of how much to just trust vs seeing for yourself. I will say that even if a game seems 100% working when testing in person, things can be missed, marginal, or get broken during shipment. Be prepared to do a bit of work no matter what. Even on a brand new game, straight out of the box, possibly even more in that case.

I agree that Iron Maiden is my best suggestion for a game available new that would play similar to TZ. I love the game, but I would not call it a suitable substitute for TZ, despite the similarities. It's pretty bare as far as gadgets go. Granted, mine is a Pro, but even on the Premium, there's no mini-playfield, nothing to equate to the gumball machine, no powerball. I would say IMDN is far more chaotic.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

Interesting compare. How is Maiden in any way similar to tz?

Mostly just flipper locations. He is asking about something new that has some of these features.

Quoted from rubysbest1:

* Twilight Zone likes:
    ** Multi flippers
    ** The mini playfield
    ** It's "mechanically loud" - clacks, pops, clicks, etc.
    ** Dot matrix screen
    ** There are lots of bumpers, ramps, and targets spread around the playfield, which I feel makes the play more fun
    ** It feels a little chaotic, which is fun.

Of those, IMDN has multi-flippers in the same locations, kinda mechanically loud, targets spread around the playfield, and definitely feels chaotic. If new is #1 priority, then what else meets more of the criteria?

I would agree Dialed In probably is more similar, but I discounted it due to availability.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from rubysbest1:

What are your thoughts on that table?

The right magnaflip plastic is pretty much shattered, the left sling corner is cracked, and there is no detail in the pictures. For $7900, I'd pass, but I'm probably completely out of touch on TZ pricing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pin-suggestions?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.