Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jk2171
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Personally, I never found Taxi to be all that great. I don't think it sucks or anything, but I'd certainly rank Pinbot and HighSpeed above it.
    I haven't played Space Shuttle as much as the others, but I can't say it left that great an impression on me.
    Surprised to hear that you've had problems with CGC products. I've never had one of their Arcades, but by my experience (and by the vast majority of opinions here) their pinballs have been very solid. And parts seem to be quite available through Planetary Pinball - of course whether that will remain true in the decades to come is anybody's guess.

Thanks for the feedback on Taxi and Space Shuttle.

CGC doesn't have a great name in arcade circles compared to their pin popularity. They were never thought much of because they use poor emulation for their 'Arcade Legends' units. The games had wonky sound and were just a poor representation of emulation. Modern MAME is very good, so I am not opposed to emulation (not a strict purist like some) but the CGC emulation was pretty crap across the board. In addtion, prior to moving to LCD, they used the cheapest and worst Chinese CRT tubes and chassis money could buy. Finding parts for any of those machines today is difficult at best with hardly anything being available direct. They still have the PCB part numbers but nothing is in stock. Granted, I wouldn't expect them to have CRT parts in stock since those are gone globally but one would think the PCB boards could still be purchased. Maybe things have changed recently, but I doubt it.

I have an Arcade Legends 3 from CGC. It's actually one of my favorite units, but I gutted everything electronic in it to make it proper and reliable. I bought the unit used because it was (take a guess) broken. I picked it up for cheap, but I immediately yanked the Chinese CRT and replaced it with a Wells Gardner 7k CRT from the mid 90's. I tossed the PCB that the games were on into the trash where they belong and replaced it with a proper PC build. I literally only used the cabinet, which as I said is very nice with great graphics. The control panel shelf and design are perfect for a MAME or MiSTercade build. The buttons, controllers, and internals all got replaced. Based on the feedback the pins seem to be better quality over the arcade games as far as the actual gameplay is concerned, but that doesn't speak to the quality of the board component themselves.

My fear is that when they break or a board fails, there may not be any parts available. Being it's the same company, I would assume they would be similar in their parts and inventory management. I read a few threads where people were confident a 3rd party might step in a provide a solution. Personally, I think there is a snowball's chance in hell of that happening simply because I doubt there are enough units sold to justify the expense of designing and tooling to print a new board and that is assuming CGC would provide the engineering data to that 3rd party. A few broken boards here or there would never be profitable for a 3rd party to take that on. Based on the arcade history of CGC, if those pins go down in a decade due to any electronic board failure, they instantly become an awkwardly large and tall glass coffee table. Hopefully, I am dead wrong but based on my dealings with them prior, its not a $10k-$13k gamble I want to take.

#52 1 year ago

Taxi and Pinbot are my two favorite games and have been for years. Most system 11s would be a perfect fit.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from RetroRambler:

Based on the arcade history of CGC, if those pins go down in a decade due to any electronic board failure, they instantly become an awkwardly large and tall glass coffee table.

I mean, they've been making them for years and years now, and nobody has a coffee table that I'm aware of.

I think your fears are really misfounded. But buy whatever makes you happy.

#54 1 year ago

I've only owned one System 11 machine (and fortunately it never needed a replacement board while I had it), but are replacement System 11 boards available?

Unless someone is remaking them, I would think you'd have the same kind of worry...

#55 1 year ago

If you're a fan of multi-ball then go for space shuttle.

Very easy to lock a ball and start multi-ball. You can even steal another players locked ball and get into multi-ball.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, they've been making them for years and years now, and nobody has a coffee table that I'm aware of.
    I think your fears are really misfounded. But buy whatever makes you happy.

For pinball, yes it may be completely unfounded because I have no experience with their pins, nor do I know anyone with one. My basis is solely on my arcade experience with them, but I am definitely a "Once bitten, twice shy guy". Honestly, I hope I am wrong.

#57 1 year ago

Honestly, I hope I am wrong.

I mean, you are, because at this point we have years of hard evidence, but I guess if you're still mad over your multicade and it's Wei-Ya chassis that's on you.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, you are, because at this point we have years of hard evidence, but I guess if you're still mad over your multicade and it's Wei-Ya chassis that's on you.
    Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Mad? I am not mad at all; I never bought a new CGC anything to be mad about. I bought a broken unit for cheap from someone who foolishly bought one and ended up with a boat anchor because there were no parts available. What hard evidence do you have on reliability? They haven't been out long enough to have any hard evidence. When did the first remake launch, 2018? Their arcade machines didn't start failing much during the first five years. These machines are relatively new, and parts are still on the shelf right now. Roll the clock forward another 5 years and let's revisit this discussion. Future parts availability is my primary concern over crap Chinese components. As long as the part is replaceable and available, it's not that big an issue. And yes Wei-Ya chassis were the norm. If CGC put Wei-Ya garbage in those multi-thousand-dollar arcade machines, why do you think they all of a sudden upped their build qualities or vendor selection with these pin remakes? A quick look at their public customer reviews and it seems to be the same CGC I have always known.

Anyways I thank you and everyone for the suggestions on the other pins. It wasn't my intention to go down a CGC bash, and I won't mention them again. They are off my radar. I wish the CGC owners the best of luck.

I got my first pin yesterday - Getaway High Speed II. The seller should have it shopped out and ready to go in a couple of weeks.

#59 1 year ago

Getaway is a good choice. It's a machine I have always liked a lot.

However, "should have it shopped out and ready in a couple of weeks" sets off some alarm bells.

That's often the line that scammers will use when they don't even own a machine and just plan to take your cash. They will ask for a "deposit" (maybe even the full amount) now, with the idea that they will ship it "soon". Then they either disappear, or say the machine needs "extra work" and ask for more money.

Once they think they've milked you as much as possible, they vanish.

Hopefully you checked the list of "scammers" in the main sticky thread...

#60 1 year ago

My advice for anybody:

Pinballs break.

They break a lot.

They break usually in simple ways that you can fix, fairly often they need specialty parts that can be hard to obtain, and frequently enough that it is a concern they need a skilled pinball technician.

Before buying make SURE you have a path to get it fixed. Someone you can call. Your pinball isn't going to be much fun if it's not working.

You'll need a local pinball technician that does house calls, not someone several hours away that you'll need to bring the machine to them.

You'd think that someone would be around... but in a lot of areas of the country there is nobody.

I understand your reluctance to dive into the complexity of the new Stern's. I would say that with every new release, Stern is trying to make the best pinball ever made. All the pieces are there... but somehow most of the time there isn't that 'magic' that the 90's model Williams/Bally pinballs have.

There are many suggestions here for GREAT pinballs. I'd agree with most of them (except supremo... I haven't played that... (Grins)).

Whatever you get, if you had your choice you'd want to play the machine you are purchasing. For anything older the quality of the restoration can make a BIG difference in how much fun the game is. What I'm saying is don't say 'I've played an Addams Family' and expect a different Addams Family you buy to deliver the same play experience. A skilled technician can bring a machine to it's full potential, and that can make a game fun... while a lesser skilled technician can make a game playable, but not fun at all.

Many people suggest a 'cash on the glass' transaction, where you are actually in the presence of the machine you are buying.

Ideally, you'd buy from someone who will deliver the machine, set it up, and provide some kind of service after the sale.

If a pinball is properly shopped you shouldn't have much maintenance, but over time your machine will require a service call, or many service calls. I tell my customers that they should call me when the machine breaks. Don't think of it as regular maintenance, think of it has having someone to call.

For the machines I sell, it wouldn't make sense to schedule a service call every year.

Other than that, every person responds differently to pinball machines. It's helpful to play a variety of machines, that's why I keep about twenty to choose from in my showroom.

Certain machines are going to appeal to just about anybody, these are what I call the 'top tier'. The top 100 list at pinside mostly has those machines in the listings within the top 25 or so. Addams Family might not be in that top 25, but it definitely is the best pinball ever made. If you want a pinball that is really appealing to just about everybody, you can't go wrong with about the first 25 on the Pinside top 100 list.

If you want to find the pinball that is most appealing to YOU, play a lot of pinball! You'll narrow in fairly quickly on what you love.

Good luck!

#61 1 year ago

mbeardsley and PinRetail
    Thanks for that feedback. I was actually thinking much about what you both posted this previous weekend. I visited a local pin-head club hangout here in San Antoino and played some of the machines. There are about 25+ machines ranging from E&M to modern Sterns in a coffee house. I found out the coffee shop didn't own the machines, but they gave me the guy's number who was the owner of the pins. I am buying the Getaway from him, and it will be delivered and setup in my home.

I am sure he is on here because he referenced this website often in our conversation, but I don't know his forum name. I figured it was a safer bet to buy from a local tech and machine owner vs driving six hours roundtrip and coming home with a turd because I lacked the knowledge of what to look for and what not to look for. I thought the cost would be more, but it was actually cheaper than anything I found advertised in the San Antoino, Austin, Houston, and Dallas areas. He personally thinks machines are over inflated right now and he is more passionate about the people and hobby vs making much on flips. I gave him a list of machines I am looking for. He said if I wasn't in a hurry, he can typically locate them through his contacts. Anyways, he is a really nice guy. He is an electrical engineer by profession and a pinball junkie on the side.

Thanks for the great tips fellas - much appreciated.

#62 1 year ago

Well good. That makes me feel a bit better.

Getaway is a fun machine and the ZZ-Top music makes it even better. I suspect you'll be very happy with it.

#63 1 year ago

mbeardsley and PinRetail
    Thanks for that feedback. I was actually thinking much about what you both posted this previous weekend. I visited a local pin-head club hangout here in San Antoino and played some of the machines. There are about 25+ machines ranging from E&M to modern Sterns in a coffee house. I found out the coffee shop didn't own the machines, but they gave me the guy's number who was the owner of the pins. I am buying the Getaway from him, and it will be delivered and setup in my home.
    I am sure he is on here because he referenced this website often in our conversation, but I don't know his forum name. I figured it was a safer bet to buy from a local tech and machine owner vs driving six hours roundtrip and coming home with a turd because I lacked the knowledge of what to look for and what not to look for. I thought the cost would be more, but it was actually cheaper than anything I found advertised in the San Antoino, Austin, Houston, and Dallas areas. He personally thinks machines are over inflated right now and he is more passionate about the people and hobby vs making much on flips. I gave him a list of machines I am looking for. He said if I wasn't in a hurry, he can typically locate them through his contacts. Anyways, he is a really nice guy. He is an electrical engineer by profession and a pinball junkie on the side.
    Thanks for the great tips fellas - much appreciated.

Getaway was my first pin and will never leave my collection. Be sure to join the Getaway owners thread for all kinds of information and support on the game along with a great group of owners: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin

#64 1 year ago

Attack from Mars, hands down. Simple enough for regular folks to walk up to the machine and have fun. Trying to reach Rule The Universe...extremely challenging, and fun! Callouts, dots are funny and well done. Layout and shots are very satisfying. Def has the one more game feeling.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pin-purchase-in-decades-suggestions-requested/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.