(Topic ID: 239972)

First Pin: Modern Stern or Respected Classic (sameish price)

By catch20two

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider catch20two.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

It seems good condition versions of classics (whitewater, getaway) are edging close to the price of modern sterns NIB. I want to buy my first pin, and am trying to figure out which route to go. I expect it will be my only pin for at least a year, so I do want to make sure it's something I can play for a while. Are newer generally always better in terms of depth and home use? Are the older classics just fundamentally good games that have staying power on their own? In particular, I'm deciding between something like whitewater or getaway on one hand, or deadpool or ghostbusters on the other (since I need to sell the wife, theme is a factor and iron maiden is out).

I know a lot of people say get a cheaper older DMD game to start, but the good ones are edging into modern pricing. So any thoughts on which route to go, if pricing is essentially the same?

2 weeks later
#34 4 years ago

Thanks all for the great advice. The different perspectives and explanations here were exactly what I was looking for, and would be helpful to anyone getting into the hobby.

I took the advice of many and got out to play a ton of pinball in the last couple weeks. After some play, I decided my first (and, for a while, only) home machine should be a newer machine, and Iron man, LOTR, GotG, and Deadpool were all candidates. In the end, I'll be going with Deadpool, as it has the right mix of gameplay, theme, and family appeal for me right now. That said, I already see how having a little variety would be good, and I expect I'll be on the lookout for a deal on an older (maybe less popular given current prices) DMD to add at some point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,250 (OBO)
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 103.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
6,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Papillion, NE
$ 12.95
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.95
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider catch20two.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pin-modern-stern-or-respected-classic-sameish-price?tu=catch20two and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.