Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

245A7885-065A-43FD-9D2D-57B622D0079E (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi all, my kids and I have been frequenting a pinball arcade in Seattle. They’re 7 and 9. I started becoming more interested in the different games, themes, manufacturers, and eras and I discovered this site! I also discovered that my favorite game is everybody’s favorite game: Medieval Madness! I came across an opportunity to buy the original edition in near perfect condition from a collectors estate for $13,000. That is a lot of money for my first pin but I also know I love the game and would be proud to own it. My question is, is it worth that price? I see the pinside has the estimated value at $8320 - $9680. But I don’t usually ever see them listed? Would love some input.

#2 2 years ago

Prices are up, everyone can see that. There was an MMR LE that recently sold here on Pinside for $9000 I think in the used marketplace. That seems like a deal in the present environment.

#3 2 years ago

In near perfect condition? Yea probably worth that or more.

Just remember that for 13k you can buy 2-3 “lesser” games and pinball is an addiction

#4 2 years ago

There are very few originals still in near perfect condition. If that is the case and the game has been well maintained then 13k is fair.

I am in the camp that prefers the original MM over the remakes (easier to repair electronics if you ever need to and game is more responsive). Disclaimer: I bought MM new in 1997 and still have the game so I’m biased.

#5 2 years ago

Ahhh… no. If you have a convenient place to play, enjoy the outings with the kids for as long as they will hang out with you. It goes by too quick. Then collect pins when a lonely old man.. You’ll have time to fix them! You don’t own pinballs, they own you.

#6 2 years ago

MM is a great game but if you have $13k in your pocket to spend you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't try a bunch of other games and see what's for sale. You have a lot of options at that price point. Seattle has a good collector community and you never know what you will find for sale.

But it's an emotional decision too and if MM is what you need... so be it and enjoy your game!

#7 2 years ago

I love MM too and I tried to get hold of an original ( I prefer those over MMr) for about half a year before I found one in good condition and reasonably close. After receiving it I unfortunately found out it had its problems and I choose to do a playfield swap and some other fixes which got me to the sum of about 14k $ in total. The upside is that this game is now in almost pristine condition and it plays great. What I mean with this lengthy post is that if it's your dream pin (and you can afford it) then go for it.

Also, it's such a popular game so if you ever get tired of it there won't be any problems finding a buyer.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from chrispaterson:

Hi all, my kids and I have been frequenting a pinball arcade in Seattle. They’re 7 and 9. I started becoming more interested in the different games, themes, manufacturers, and eras and I discovered this site! I also discovered that my favorite game is everybody’s favorite game: Medieval Madness! I came across an opportunity to buy the original edition in near perfect condition from a collectors estate for $13,000. That is a lot of money for my first pin but I also know I love the game and would be proud to own it. My question is, is it worth that price? I see the pinside has the estimated value at $8320 - $9680. But I don’t usually ever see them listed? Would love some input.

Estimated value lags behind real value due to the hyper-inflation we are seeing and the covid-price pumping.

As a newbie, you already seem to understand a lot of stuff that many don’t grasp. That’s good. You’re aware it’s super popular and you have the foresight to ask some good questions.

Personally, I think most end up overpaying for their first game. Especially being an MM from an estate, after 3-4 years in the hobby (if you’re extremely active which usually happens in this addiction) you’ll get a general feel for things and learn what to look for.

Meet some local collectors. You’ll probably find your MM isn’t as nice as you thought, because the important things you need to look for take time to learn. However, MM will never ever ever go down in value, especially for the original, so if you hold onto it for 5-10 years you will still profit.

Enjoy your game because it’s considered one of the greatest for a reason!

#9 2 years ago

My 2 cents…games are the most expensive they have been. If you have the money buy it because it won’t get any cheaper. That is a game you can EASILY sell if you ever want/need to.

#10 2 years ago

This is all really great input! Thank you all! As a newbie I just want to make sure what I’m buying is worth what I’m paying or at least close enough. By “worth” I mean, if I had to sell could I get my money back and could I do it relatively quickly. It also helps justify the purchase to the wife .

#11 2 years ago

This is all really great input! Thank you all! As a newbie I just want to make sure what I’m buying is worth what I’m paying or at least close enough. By “worth” I mean, if I had to sell could I get my money back and could I do it relatively quickly. It also helps justify the purchase to the wife .

If you think you would need/want to sell the game in a few years all that really matters is the difference between cost and future sales price. If you are sure the game is in the condition you think it is don’t worry. It’s very unlikely you would take a significant loss. More likely you will break even or be ahead.

“Worth” and “Value” are subjective terms. What value do you place on introducing your family to pinball with one of the most popular pins in 25 years? We got Medieval when our daughter was 6 or 7. She still loves the game. I originally sold my wife on the game because she loved the Monty Python humor and it’s probably still her favorite pin.

However, if the cost is a stretch, you need to buy it with debt or you think you HAVE to flip it quickly - think long and hard. A pinball game is entertainment, not an investment.

Consider bringing a more experienced pinball friend to inspect the game before you put cash on the glass. Lots of games look great if you don’t know what to look for.

Good luck with your decision.

#12 2 years ago

A lot of great advice provided so far. My $0.02:

• Make some local friends.
  • Bonus points if that person has experience with WPC-89 or (for Medieval Madness) WPC-95.
  • Bonus multiplier if that person is willing to assess the machine with you.

Many years ago I was on a distribution list with the motto "it helps to have SmartFriends(tm)".

1 month later
#13 2 years ago

Well… we did it! We drove from Seattle down to the central Oregon coast to pick it up. I took the whole family (even the dog) on this crazy adventure. Proud to say we now own a 1997 Williams Medieval Madness! We ended up getting it for $12,000. It seems to be in perfect condition as far as I can tell. We’ve been playing all evening and everything seems to be working flawlessly. So excited!

245A7885-065A-43FD-9D2D-57B622D0079E (resized).jpeg245A7885-065A-43FD-9D2D-57B622D0079E (resized).jpeg
#14 2 years ago

Nice! All that matters is you are happy with it! Fun game for sure

#15 2 years ago

Congratulations! The original cabinet is silk screened and really pops. Many people haven't had the opportunity to play really nice examples of the original, which may explain why you can get a better deal on an original right now. But the fliptronics, man, they are just amazing on the Williams version. You literally feel like you are flinging the ball at the castle with your own hands. Well, in a sense, I guess you are.

#16 2 years ago

Congrats! Nothing like a well maintained original.

And you’ll always remember the joy of your first pinball road trip. What a wonderful family adventure!

#17 2 years ago

congrats! have you figured out where the next one is going to go yet?

#18 2 years ago

also..you should consider playing some tournaments! check skill-shot.com for a pretty good list. seattle has an amazing pinball community with tons of locations and events. there are some really good players in the area and my motto is win or learn...both are fun!

lastly originals >>>>>>>>> remakes

#19 2 years ago

How do you even find an MM for your first pin?

#20 2 years ago

Well… we did it! We drove from Seattle down to the central Oregon coast to pick it up. I took the whole family (even the dog) on this crazy adventure. Proud to say we now own a 1997 Williams Medieval Madness! We ended up getting it for $12,000. It seems to be in perfect condition as far as I can tell. We’ve been playing all evening and everything seems to be working flawlessly. So excited!
[quoted image]

Congrats. I picked up an original HUO MM earlier this year for 12k so to be able to find one now for 12k after pinball prices busted the roof off…..You did well. Probably worth 16k+

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Congrats. I picked up an original HUO MM earlier this year for 12k so to be able to find one now for 12k after pinball prices busted the roof off…..You did well. Probably worth 16k+

I'm bitter. I searched forever for one and he lands one within months of joining PS!!!!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I'm bitter. I searched forever for one and he lands one within months of joining PS!!!!

At least he didn't have to compete with you in his area buying up all the games.

I really need to make it over to your restaurant.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

At least he didn't have to compete with you in his area buying up all the games.
I really need to make it over to your restaurant.

Just landed a Dr Who, Popeye and a JackBot. I'm about 8 pins from exiting the market.

We've only got room on the floor for 19 of them but seriously contemplating building an dedicated arcade addition next year hold to about 60 pins.

#24 2 years ago

Great pin, great deal!

#25 2 years ago

Proud to say we now own a 1997 Williams Medieval Madness!

And proud you should be!

What a pick as first pin, wow.

Congrats

#26 2 years ago

How long you think that TV console sits there before it's replaced by a second pin?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pin-mm-advice-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.