Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Skrippy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Alright, so I'm officially looking to buy my first pin.
    The catch is: I want one I'm going to enjoy, and will keep my interest... but my budget is only $1k.

Do I just need to save for an extra couple of months and knock my budget up to $1,500 (which from my findings will open up the selection a lot more of actual good pins)... Or is it possible to find the kind of pin I'm looking for at the $1k price?

See, right now I'm spending about $40 a pop (on gas and admission) driving 100 miles round-trip to play at the closest pinball arcade to me at least once or twice a week... Which I love, and still plan to do, however my new pinball addiction is killing me and I want something I can play at home quite badly.

As for specifics of what kind of pin I want (er... would REALLY LIKE to find at my price): solid-state, 90s era or newer, but late 80s era is fine too.

So is that possible at $1k, or do I just need to kill myself inside a little more by not feeding my addiction, and save up the extra few hundred?

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

Alright, so I'm officially looking to buy my first pin.
    The catch is: I want one I'm going to enjoy, and will keep my interest... but my budget is only $1k.
    Do I just need to save for an extra couple of months and knock my budget up to $1,500 (which from my findings will open up the selection a lot more of actual good pins)... Or is it possible to find the kind of pin I'm looking for at the $1k price?
    See, right now I'm spending about $40 a pop (on gas and admission) driving 100 miles round-trip to play at the closest pinball arcade to me at least once or twice a week... Which I love, and still plan to do, however my new pinball addiction is killing me and I want something I can play at home quite badly.
    As for specifics of what kind of pin I want (er... would REALLY LIKE to find at my price): solid-state, 90s era or newer, but late 80s era is fine too.
    So is that possible at $1k, or do I just need to kill myself inside a little more by not feeding my addiction, and save up the extra few hundred?

Looks like you got cash for a project. How good are you at repairs? I usually like to buy fixer uppers and make a few bucks to feed the habit. I am mainly though into EM's

#3 11 years ago

I bought my first pin for $350 getting a 100% working 90's pin for $1000 is a stretch

#4 11 years ago

If you are looking to purchase, to keep, take your time. Buy something that you know, and enjoy, so you'll be confident that you will enjoy it in time to come. It might take you a couple months off searching, and you might have a little more funds this way too.

Here's the reality - The addiction won't end - even if you bought a 10k machine.
    To satisfy the cravings most people say that the more, the merrier. I believe that I'd be happy with about 6 pins, but more than likely, when I have 6, I'll say I'd be happy with 8.

#5 11 years ago

You need more if you want a modern style machine. $1200-$1500 will get you a good working machine. Anything less and its likely to need work of some kind.

#6 11 years ago

Other people will be able to offer you more info. But from my view, your options are going to be much greater in the $1500-2k range. Especially if you are looking for a clean machine without you needing to worry about any repair work. Also, if you go without a dmd you will find more options at the 1k range.

#7 11 years ago

depends on how nice you want the pin to be, how much you want to have to fix, and do you want to get one unshopped. i would probably bump it up to 1500

#8 11 years ago

It really depends what specific games you're looking for. There are definitely pins available under $1500 (or even $1000) all day like Pinbot, Taxi, High Speed, Comet, etc. I've also seen some DMD games like Demolition Man under $1500. You just have to keep your eyes open for deals. Look on Craigslist, Mr. Pinball, Pinside Market, etc.

You're the only one who knows which games you enjoy. If you think you'd like to fix a game, that gives you even more choices (project machines), and you will gain a lot of experience that will help you later on.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Looks like you got cash for a project. How good are you at repairs? I usually like to buy fixer uppers and make a few bucks to feed the habit. I am mainly though into EM's

I'm still taking my first steps in the pinball world. Just became obsessed in early December.

So, I'm completely new to the repair part of it.

To be honest, buying a machine that needs some work is definitely something I want to do for say my 2nd or 3rd pin I buy, because I'd love to eventually know my way around fixing my own pins and customizing and all that good stuff...

But for my first, I'm definitely gonna need something that's clean and won't be in need of repair work anytime soon.

#10 11 years ago

I think you can do it.
    Maybe try searching for less "trendy" games (which personally I think are some of the best!)
    Chances are you can find these titles in pretty good shape for around a grand:

Mousin' Around
    Bad Cats
    Jokerz
    Swords of Fury (I'd love to find one of these!)
    Rollergames
    Police Force
    F-14

#11 11 years ago

A thousand bucks is enough to get into pin ownership. My first pin was a 1977 Eight Ball and well under $1,000. I love that machine. You will learn lots here on Pinside once you have a machine at home. Be patient, make a good purchase, and enjoy!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

It really depends what specific games you're looking for. There are definitely pins available under $1500 (or even $1000) all day like Pinbot, Taxi, High Speed, Comet, etc. I've also seen some DMD games like Demolition Man under $1500. You just have to keep your eyes open for deals. Look on Craigslist, Mr. Pinball, Pinside Market, etc.
    You're the only one who knows which games you enjoy. If you think you'd like to fix a game, that gives you even more choices (project machines), and you will gain a lot of experience that will help you later on.

Yeah, so far it seems like my best bet is Craigslist by far, because eBay has a great selection, but it's not hard to tell that 99% of their prices are higher than they need to be.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from mminnoch:

A thousand bucks is enough to get into pin ownership. My first pin was a 1977 Eight Ball and well under $1,000. I love that machine. You will learn lots here on Pinside once you have a machine at home. Be patient, make a good purchase, and enjoy!

Yeah, my main goal is to just be patient with the decision. I know I'm excited about it and want one now, but I also know if I wait and take my time, I'll end up with something that's exactly what I was looking for.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

If you are looking to purchase, to keep, take your time. Buy something that you know, and enjoy, so you'll be confident that you will enjoy it in time to come. It might take you a couple months off searching, and you might have a little more funds this way too.
    Here's the reality - The addiction won't end - even if you bought a 10k machine.
    To satisfy the cravings most people say that the more, the merrier. I believe that I'd be happy with about 6 pins, but more than likely, when I have 6, I'll say I'd be happy with 8.

Ha, yeah, that's one realization I've had from joining Pinside... Is that passion for pinball is something that never stops growing. So, I think that's why it's easy for me to have perspective on this purchase decision... Just from seeing everyone here talk about their own collections and how they've grown over time.

I think one of my secret goals in the back of my head for this first pin purchase, is to find one that I can keep and love, and look at in ten or twenty years and say, "Hey, that's my first pin, & I damn well love that thing."

#15 11 years ago

I got mine after 3 months of searching from a local distributor who gave me a good deal. The more people you meet the better options you'll have.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from EvanBingham:

I got mine after 3 months of searching from a local distributor who gave me a good deal. The more people you meet the better options you'll have.

Yeah, that's what I figure. There's a local pinball league that somewhat recently got started in Nashville, and there's a tournament on the 5th of this month. So, I'm excited to go there and meet some people who may be able to point me in the right direction of someone who might be able give me a good deal locally.

#17 11 years ago

I've never paid over 2000 for any of the games I've owned so its possible to find deals. I would look for system 11 games. My Elvira cost me less than 3 dollars to get working and never had any issues in the year+ that I owned her. All the system 11 games I know of on location seem to be more reliable than other era games. That said, you are going to have to fix your game or pay someone to do it at some point.

My advice for craigslist is be aggressive, call don't email, get to the sellers place asap, come with cash, a truck and haggle when you are standing with the owner. You can guarantee there are hobbyists and retailers scanning CL constantly looking for deals. The faster you get with the seller and faster you convince him you are serious about buying his pin, the better. Happy hunting!

#18 11 years ago

Depends on your age. If you are old enough to remember 80's games when they were new you can get a nice pin for $1000. If you are younger they probably won't hold your interest.

#19 11 years ago

1k should get you a working, clean game that you can enjoy - but it won't be as full-featured as a 90s and newer DMD game. There should be a few Sys 11 games in that price range, and a few early Bally SS games and WMS Sys 3-7 SS games.

If you want a lot of bells and whistles, it will cost you a little more.

And, this hobby in general, sucks you in and keeps you coming.. most people who get one grow their collections to 3-4 pretty quickly.

#20 11 years ago

1k should be plenty if you are no super picky about condition. I picked up a fully working Flash with minor pf wear for $300 just a month ago. I'd still have $700 of your budget left!

#21 11 years ago

You should post a WTB ad in that massive Nashville thread if you haven't already.

#22 11 years ago

Here you go, a little drive though but a good deal.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-freddy-great-condition-only-1050

#23 11 years ago

I would strongly suggest following the others advice and make some connections but keep building the pin fund to allow more options while you take your time finding the right game and deal with whatever issues it may have that you're comfortable with. Hopefully by the time you find the right deal your pot will be up too.

#24 11 years ago

If you look around and do your own legwork, there are games you can find in the 1k range. But you wont' find it on this site. Put out ads, and you might land.

Judge dread
    Demolition man
    Jurassic park
    Baywatch
    Dracula
    JM
    Time machine (DE)
    Phantom of the opera
    starship troopers (can be found but usually closer to $1500)

all of these are great titles, but your going to have to do some searching and legwork. Nobody will hand you one of these for that price.

#25 11 years ago

If you are in to sports themes, I have a 1995 Big Hurt for $975.

#26 11 years ago

yep but you will prob have more in your kick by the time you find a good pin for 1k

#27 11 years ago

You might find something good on MrPinball, C-list , or even on our market page
    just have to search everyday and when you least expect it one shows up close by

#28 11 years ago

I think $1k will easily land you a game you can enjoy. Picked up my first for $400, 2nd for $800 and 3rd for $1700. I would recommend going into the $1500 range, the variety of pins gets so much greater at that value.

#29 11 years ago

$1k is gonna be harder to find but not impossible. My advice: Quit going to the arcade for a few months or stop drinking beer and save for the $1500 haha. Just thinking of ways to boost some quick savings. Good $1k games:

Baywatch (BW)
    F14

You could always try to find a TMNT or Super Mario Bros pin...they seem to be cheap and good starter machines. Don't go buy a STTNG off the bat...you'll pull your hair out and lose interest since some of it can be challenging.

#30 11 years ago

I started with system 11's and would recommend those for anyone wanting to start into pinball. Affordable and not overly complex for doing shop jobs. Tons of good deals available on those if you wait, and usually don't need to wait too long.

Good luck in your search! I wish you were closer. I constantly come across a system 11 of sorts. I just sold a non-working pinbot for $400, but the guy I sold it to got it working right away. Nothing much was wrong with it.

#31 11 years ago

Suggest exploring games outside of the window you mentioned.
    The game I usually suggest to newbies is Gtb Sinbad (1977?). Good
    game with a variety of shots and challenging enough to stay fun for
    a long time. A newer pin that is one of my favorites is Lethal Weapon 3.
    These can usually be found for about $1K.

The big problem (as I see it) is most folks have never had a chance to
    play older games, and don't discover them until they've sqandered
    multi- $K on so-so newer pins. See if there is a pinball show coming
    up in your area and play as many pins as you can. Arcades, the few that
    are left, have a crummy selection.
    Steve

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoVols:

If you are in to sports themes, I have a 1995 Big Hurt for $975.

This would be a great first machine for under $1000.

I really think there is a nice sweet sport right now at $1500 to $2000. You can find a lot of good machines for that price. Having said that you can also just get lucky--you've got to be quick thought. The flippers will pounce on anything that's deal. By they time to post here, "is this a good deal"...it will be in someone elses truck. My advise would be to make a long list of games in your budget. That way you can be the one pouncing.

Just looking over the Top 100, some good suggestions would be...BSD, FT, JP, TFTC, DM, JD, JM, T2, DW, SST, Congo, BR, LAH, NF, etc. Not that you need to go with a popular machine. There are a lot of games that I like not on any "top" list.

#33 11 years ago

Are you looking or recommendations or just looking for advice on the dollar amount?

Go to that league you talked about and ask the guys there what are their favorite games in that price range and also ask why they like them.

I spent $600 for my first pin (Firepower) and I plan on keeping it "forever"

Take your time like you said you want to and find a machine you like.

#34 11 years ago

Well, it depends on what machine you want, what shape it's in and who your buying from.

It could totally be, but on the other hand you might be short.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-pin-buyer-is-1k-enough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.