1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ralphs007
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whifflebat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I'm looking to get my first pin over the next year or so. After playing some tables locally and a bunch on Pinball Arcade, I think I'm starting to narrow my focus and would love some expert opinions.

- I'm looking to get something that is ready to go upon set up, so I think I want to get a NIB pin vs. an older, used table, unless it's a clean restore

- While I like many of the themes and presentation of the new Stern tables (Star Wars, Ghostbusters, GOTG, etc), I'm a little concerned with the negative feedback the SPIKE 2 system has been getting (i.e. repair difficulties, future availability of boards and components, etc.). Is this a valid concern?

- After playing some classic tables virtually on Pinball Arcade, I've come to really enjoy the gameplay of Tales of the Arabian Nights, Theater of Magic and Circus Voltaire. I understand there are rumors that Chicago Gaming Company will continue to manufacture remakes of classic tables potentially including these titles much like they did for Medieval Madness and Attack on Mars. What's everyone's opinions on these remakes and these titles in particular (TOTAN, TOM and CV) in regards to home use for a semi-casual enthusiast?

#11 1 year ago

Thanks all for the advice! I'll definitely seek out some live pinball and get a feel for what's out there. I'll keep tabs on what's coming out from the various manufacturers and see if anything strikes my interest. It's tough finding a good mix of theme, art, and gameplay, especially if I am going to only get one pin (though I've heard that once you have your first table, you are set down a dark path where they start to multiply...).

As for even NIB pins needing some minor adjustment or repairs, I'm not too put off by that. As you say, there are lots of resources out there to help with minor to moderate issues. I put together a MAME machine in the past few months, and that was a steep learning curve, but I managed to get through that

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whifflebat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside