(Topic ID: 263031)

First Open Tournament Today - Looking for Advice

By CoolMike90

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hey Folks,

Playing in my first tournament today and I am super excited. I don't have high expectations at all except to have fun and learn as much as I can about competitive play and how everything works. I read a few posts and articles but I was wondering if anyone could tell me usually how tournaments play out or what to expect? Below are the rules and description I pulled from the IFPA calendar if someone might be able to decipher it for me? I research PAPA and read through some of the rulesets for IFPA but was looking for additional feedback.

Rules
    8 rounds of qualifying matchplay cut to a top 8/16 Final TBD by tourney directors Greg and Howard. PAPA style finals. B division for all others.
    Format Details
    Event Name : Main Tournament
    Qualifying Format : Matchplay Qualifying
    Finals Format : Match Play
    Player Limit : Unknown
    Games Played for TGP : 25
    Unlimited Qualifying? : No
    Qualifying Hours for TGP : 0

Appreciate it!

Mike

#2 4 years ago

This is a great format to get started with. Group play and 8 rounds is a good amount.

You’ll be paired with different people on a different game each round.

Get there early and try to get a practice ball or two on the games to get warmed up.

Then have fun! Try and meet new people and just have a good time. The NY crew is great. I met some of them at the 24 hour battle in CT this past year.

Once finals start you’ll be paired with a group again but this time you’ll play 3-4 games and the top two from each group advance until the final 4 where that will be the final round.

#3 4 years ago

Rock Fantasy seasonal opens are tiered Swiss match play. What this means is that you will be playing 8 rounds (so, 8 games) of three or four people together. The exact scores don't matter; you just need to report who got first, second, third, and fourth. The system awards points accordingly. (Swiss means, by the way, that you are going to be grouped with people who have a similar amount of points to you.)

After the eight rounds, there's usually a dinner break. If you made the finals (which will be determined by how many people are in the tournament) then you'll play it out as the poster above said; if you're not in the finals, you can leave, or you can play in the optional B finals, which are head-to-head (so, one person vs another) knockouts. If I remember correctly, Rock Fantasy TDs usually use double-elimination, so if you lose two games in this format, you're out.

What to expect:

- Expect to find yourself on pretty much any game. When the computer tells you where to go and whom you're with, try to find that game and those people as soon as you can. It might be a little hectic as rounds start, especially since this is a new location for Rock Fantasy, but do your best.

- Pay attention to your player order. When the computer assigns your match, it specifies an order. You do NOT want to play out of turn. This disqualifies you for that round and you automatically get last place. (If you do play out of turn, though, don't feel too bad -- it happens to everyone, newbie and veteran alike. It's just something you want to try to be mindful of.)

- Similarly, pay attention to whether you get an extra ball. The house rule for Rock Fantasy in match play is to plunge your extra balls. You can set up your shots - so, for example, you can choose which lane is lit at the top, if the game has that, but, once you plunge, you cannot touch the game. (If you're on Tales of the Arabian Nights and this happens, I would get a TD -- the way that game is set up, someone has to flip for you to make the game register the ball. Just an oddly specific piece of advice.)

- Expect rounds to take some time, especially after the first one. Each round is just one game, but some games tend to go quickly, and some take forever.

- Give active players their space. Don't try to engage in conversation with someone while they're playing, or hover right next to them while they're playing. Some people don't mind this, but some can be VERY competitive and take their bubble while playing VERY seriously. It's more respectful to err on the side of standing politely behind them if you want to watch them play, or chat with the other people waiting to play their turn. (Also, just be aware that some players kick out while playing -- if you need to pass by someone, I would either wait for the ball to end or do it swiftly.)

- When in doubt, grab a TD. If a ball is stuck or something happens with the game that's unexpected (like your ball ends randomly, for example), don't hesitate to grab someone. The people available to make rulings or do basic tech work will be pointed out before the first round; they will be able to help you out. Tournaments tend to be a lot more...stringent? about how to deal with unexpected occurrences than, say, a casual league night.

- Expect to meet new people! This tournament is the first one at the new Rock Fantasy, so a lot of people might be coming from far-flung places (at least throughout the northeast) to come play. The pinball community is a worldwide one, and tournaments bring a ton of different players. Don't be afraid to approach people and strike up a conversation.

That's not the most comprehensive guide, but I tried to think of some pointers. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

#4 4 years ago

pinballprincess chuckwurt

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for advice and info.

I figured there would be a ton of things I should know that I don't outside of some of the basic playing techniques.

It's pretty intimidating at first and I definitely don't wanna piss anyone off or have it be like your first round of golf ever and you're slowing everyone down behind you on the course LOL..

Does registration usually take long? The times are 1 - 11 so does registration stay open for 30 minutes, an hour? A close friend who got me into the hobby is working today but can probably be there by 1-130 so he was wondering how that works.

Thanks so much again!

Mike

#5 4 years ago

You comment reminded me of this one. Make sure if you’re leaving the group to go get a drink or bathroom, let them know where you’re going so they don’t have to look for you. Make sure to keep an eye on your phone and make sure you’re checking often when the next round is posted up so your group isn’t looking for you to start a game. I assume this tournament will be using matchplay.events. I would make an account on your phone now and play around in it a bit.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from CoolMike90:

pinballprincess chuckwurt
    You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for advice and info.
    I figured there would be a ton of things I should know that I don't outside of some of the basic playing techniques.
    It's pretty intimidating at first and I definitely don't wanna piss anyone off or have it be like your first round of golf ever and you're slowing everyone down behind you on the course LOL..
    Does registration usually take long? The times are 1 - 11 so does registration stay open for 30 minutes, an hour? A close friend who got me into the hobby is working today but can probably be there by 1-130 so he was wondering how that works.
    Thanks so much again!
    Mike

You are going to want to be there BY one. Registration is technically 12-1 implied, and the eight rounds are scheduled to start at one.

It's hit-or-miss whether the Opens start on time. I've seen it start half an hour late, easily. That said, DO NOT bank on them starting late. Bank on them starting at 1 sharp if you want to be sure you get to participate in all eight rounds.

If you or your friend miss the first round, when you come in, speak to Greg or Howard ASAP. You can come in after missing a round or two. It basically guarantees you won't make A finals, but if you're just there to hang out and have fun, that's fine. They're usually not opposed to letting people in late. (Registration is basically writing your name down on a sheet of paper and paying the entry fee. The TDs will put you into the matchplay system.)

And don't worry too much about pissing people off -- people are usually pretty lenient to newbies. We know it's a lot to take in at first. Howard may have first-timers raise their hands when explaining the rules at the start so that the more experienced players know to be ready with an extra helping hand.

I'm excited to hear how your first tournament goes! And I'm excited for it to be at Rock Fantasy of all places I'm terrible with names/faces, but if you've been coming to the Stern bimonthlies, we've probably met, lol. So...hi!

#7 4 years ago

chuckwurt
    100% I don't think i'll be moving around a lot as I'm going to try to take in as much as possible. Signed up on Matchplay immediately after reading your post, I am all ready!

pinballprincess

Gotcha! I will def be there by 1230 maybe even earlier. My buddy not 100% sure but regardless it'll work itself out. Good to know though, I am going in as humble as possible just to learn. If I do well at all it'll be the sprinkles on top for me.

I haven't made it to a Stern Bimonthly yet, we actually just found out about them about a month ago. I have been meaning to go to RF for a while now being a Middletown resident for a long time but never made it there until about a month ago. My buddy who was into the hobby and owns a handful machines and found out about it a while back mentioned it to me and told me I was crazy for not visiting. My barber also had mentioned it so I finally made it there.

I look forward to meeting you at some point as well! Thank you for all the info!

Mike

#8 4 years ago

Pay close attention to player order and make sure its your turn when you plunge (including making sure the last person didn't get an extra ball they forgot about). Playing out of order is a common mistake for new tournament players!

Relax, have fun, and remember it only takes one ball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-open-tournament-today-looking-for-advice?hl=oliviarium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.