(Topic ID: 48479)

First NIB Stern- upgrade considerations?

By cpsystem3

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mudflaps
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi everyone-

My first NIB Stern will be arriving in about a month. I've been a pinball collector and restorer for some time now, but haven't plunged into NIB/HUO ownership until now.

What I'm wondering- what sort of upgrades and or modifications are recommended to keep the machine as close to "factory new" as possible? I fully intend on playing the heck out of my game, however I also fully intend to not trash it.

Being in a HUO setting, will I need cliffy's for sink holes? Is a shooter-lane protector recommended in a home setting? Do Stern slingshot plastics come pre-protected on their latest games?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

If cliffy's are available for the game....yeah...get them for sure. I think it really depends on the game as well.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from bdaily1983:

If cliffy's are available for the game....yeah...get them for sure. I think it really depends on the game as well.

Well thats exactly what I was getting at... will sink holes REALLY wear in a HUO setting? I totally get it for used games with sink-hole wear... not only does it protect against further damage, but it masks existing damage. But what about a HUO game... I'm sure wear rate has a lot to do with shop fequency...

As bad-ass as cliffys look, they DO interfere with the gameplay. Anybody who has played the same game pre and post cliffy install will agree the sink hole is significantly tougher to hit post-upgrade.

#4 10 years ago

A shaker kit, if available, since $7500 isn't enough for them to include one.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from cpsystem3:

Being in a HUO setting, will I need cliffy's for sink holes? Is a shooter-lane protector recommended in a home setting? Do Stern slingshot plastics come pre-protected on their latest games?

Yes. Yes. No.

If you have a scoop, it will wear. Add mylar or a cliffy. Day 1.

Ball eject Cliffys are 100% mandatory. A kickout protector is recommended as well. A $25 investment will save you grief down the road. The shooter lane will be the first place to show wear.

Pinbits.com offers plastic protectors. You probably won't need them for HUO, but I think they look cool and they're worth $30-$40.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-stern-upgrade-considerations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.