(Topic ID: 168807)

First NIB Stern. Is this standard playfield print quality?

By Bbismuth

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.43.22 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 4.41.42 PM (resized).png
riddle-brantley-med-devices-small (resized).png
_DSC1083a.jpg
_DSC1080a.jpg
_DSC1082a.jpg
_DSC1078a.jpg
_DSC1081a.jpg
_DSC1079a.jpg
_DSC1074a.jpg
_DSC1073a.jpg
_DSC1077a.jpg
_DSC1075a.jpg
_DSC1072a.jpg
blind_abilities (resized).jpg
image-5[1] (resized).jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

what a fkin mess. All for a ton of money.
I'm happy they don't make medical devices.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

I'm happy they don't make medical devices.

Are you sure?

riddle-brantley-med-devices-small (resized).pngriddle-brantley-med-devices-small (resized).png

#103 7 years ago

I would find this misalignment unacceptable on a Premium/LE machine; you are paying a premium price for a better than average machine and that should include the artwork on the playfield! If this was a standard edition playfield, I would still question how this passed QC but wouldn't pursue it with nearly as much vigor as I would on a premium or LE as it's a completely different market; what will pass as acceptable for a standard edition is just not acceptable on a high end pin.

Hopefully your supplier and Stern does right by you, as you deserve better.

#104 7 years ago

That PF is bad, no doubt. My STLE is nice and clear. Surely that was not meant to pass inspection. I'll bet they replace it for you.

#105 7 years ago

Stern doesn't care due to the lack of "low sales" consequence as a direct result...................

#106 7 years ago

If it wasn't already mentioned before you contact stern maybe try a pair of 3D glasses.

#107 7 years ago

Stern has some big decisions to make!

If they want to command these exorbitant prices for their games, they need to put out a better quality product.

Period!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Stern has some big decisions to make!
If they want to command these exorbitant prices for their games, they need to put out a better quality product.
Period!

Nah, they just need to shorten the time between announcing new releases. Even if the newer titles are nowhere near release. Take a page out of what the others in the industry have done so to speak.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would find this misalignment unacceptable on a Premium/LE machine; you are paying a premium price for a better than average machine and that should include the artwork on the playfield! If this was a standard edition playfield, I would still question how this passed QC but wouldn't pursue it with nearly as much vigor as I would on a premium or LE as it's a completely different market; what will pass as acceptable for a standard edition is just not acceptable on a high end pin.
Hopefully your supplier and Stern does right by you, as you deserve better.

This is unacceptable for any trim level.

Having a Pro vs Premium should have nothing to do with receiving a quality product.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Having a Pro vs Premium should have nothing to do with receiving a quality product.

Seriously. I hope that they don't decide that will be their new way. With their stupid marketing ideas, I wouldn't be surprised with anything.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Soon they'll be grading each machine as Gold, Silver or Bronze.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Soon they'll be grading each machine as Gold, Silver or Bronze.

Yeah we are going to trade and grade pinball machines like baseball cards!!!

Heck I'm gonna try and put my TRON in the spokes of my bike right now.

#113 7 years ago

Pretty crappy quality control from Stern if those playfields are printed like that. Stern is not making many friends these days when they are sending out stuff like this!

#114 7 years ago

Stern do factory tours these days ?

did they cut costs, and remove the final inspection stage or something.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

final inspection

Not final incoming goods inspection.
That pf should have never gotten on a machine to being with. Now if Stern sends him a bare replacement pf it will be a large expensive swap.

If he sends the populated pf and gets a another populated one is the only fair thing for him. Plus a couple signed shirts for his inconvenience.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

That pf should have never gotten on a machine to being with.

I agree. I am sure Stern will replace it because it does look quite bad.

Rob

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

If he sends the populated pf and gets a another populated one is the only fair thing for him. Plus a couple signed shirts for his inconvenience.

and 15% off his next NIB "ghost free" Stern purchase.

3 weeks later
#118 7 years ago

Did this get resolved yet?

Rob

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Did this get resolved yet?
Rob

Unfortunately, no. Barely any correspondence either. Supposedly fixing all GB issues first. Who knows when they'll get to it.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Unfortunately, no. Barely any correspondence either. Supposedly fixing all GB issues first. Who knows when they'll get to it.

Really? Buh-Bye Stern.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Thats awful, its not like they are waiting for fixed trek playfields, they should have those and could replace it any time.

Man, a guy needs to find a local dealer if buying a NIB open it there and not accept it if its has any issues. How stern has been standing behind thier products has been shameful..

#122 7 years ago

Did you buy by credit card?

1 month later
#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Any new news or info?

#124 7 years ago

You would hope that the OP would have a new populated playfield by now.

#125 7 years ago

I am surprised that made it through production. Certainly the staff in the factory would have noticed that when first assembling the playfield. To expect the end user would be content with that after spending 1000s is horrible... even for Stern. I hope they still get around to swapping that out for you.

My ST Pro playfield started to chip by the ball trough after 130 plays and 2 months. Small fill with superglue and mylar so far so good. If it spreads more or appears in other locations my distributor said he would try to escalate things.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

My ST Pro playfield started to chip by the ball trough after 130 plays and 2 months. Small fill with superglue and mylar so far so good. If it spreads more or appears in other locations my distributor said he would try to escalate things.

Sadly, it seems like this happens on almost all new Stern playfields these days. I happened on my STLE, TWDLE, GOTLE, and MET pro. The rest of the playfield is fine. It's only the drain hole that has the problem.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You would hope that the OP would have a new populated playfield by now.

Yeah...that's a big negative.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Stern continues to do nothing.

I would get Gary's address and drop it off at his front door.

#130 7 years ago

I've been thinking about buying our first nib stern pin - Ghostbusters - as a family xmas present but these playfield issues are ridiculous! Isnt Stern supposed to be the 800lb gorilla in the community??? They may be able to crank out games but no thanks - their customer service obviously sucks. Sorry op - demand a refund & try JJP - their customer service is stellar!

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Sorry op - demand a refund & try JJP - their customer service is stellar!

I highly doubt JJP is going to help him out.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Can you share any details? Why have they denied a claim?

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

That's hardly fair. I was a fool who thought this possibly was par for the course. Obviously I was wrong.

Far from par. Looks like a string of triple-bogey's to me.

#134 7 years ago

Wow - after seeing this, there is no way I will buy a NIB Stern now. Clearly they are allowing these defective playfields to pass through inspection so they save a few bucks and hope that buyers don't complain. A large purchase like this is based on quite a bit of trust and the trust is gone for me. Very sad to see Stern sacrificing their long-term reputation with the pin community in order to save a few bucks.

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 4.41.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-11-16 at 4.41.42 PM (resized).png

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Can you share any details? Why have they denied a claim?

Claim wasn't denied. They are just talking a long time. Distributor is saying they are fixing all GB issues before moving on to others.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Isn't Stern supposed to be the 800lb gorilla in the community

They are, and when you're the biggest you get to make the rules. Who else are you going to get your new playfield from? Nobody, unfortunately.

#137 7 years ago

How hard is it to open up a Star Trek Premium, pull the playfield, and ship it to the OP? None in Stern's inventory? OK, how hard is it for Stern to call a distributor and have them pull the playfield and ship it? The OP could be 'fixed' in less than 4 hours total combined time for everyone involved. That playfield should have never been shipped - Stern messed up and should fix the issue now, not when they feel like it.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

How hard is it to open up a Star Trek Pro, pull the playfield, and ship it to the OP? None in Stern's inventory? OK, how hard is it for Stern to call a distributor and have them pull the playfield and ship it? The OP could be 'fixed' in less than 4 hours total combined time for everyone involved. That playfield should have never been shipped - Stern messed up and should fix the issue now, not when they feel like it.

You just can't buy NIB from Stern anymore.

It is too much of a gamble.

#139 7 years ago

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.43.22 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.43.22 AM (resized).png

#140 7 years ago

Crazy. The OP drops $6800 on pinball machine and it has misaligned printing. Stern is selling to the home...therefore they are selling as a consumer product. For that kind of coin, the playfield art should be spot on.

Unacceptable stern.

Disturbing to see this company cranking out games with obvious flaws.

#141 7 years ago

Looking to finally buy a Stern next year, I'll be careful. Seriously considering Whoa Nellie over Metallica.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Looking to finally buy a Stern next year, I'll be careful. Seriously considering Whoa Nellie over Metallica.

Have you considered Alien? Not Stern, but looking quite good.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Crazy. The OP drops $6800 on pinball machine and it has misaligned printing. Stern is selling to the home...therefore they are selling as a consumer product. For that kind of coin, the playfield art should be spot on.
Unacceptable stern.
Disturbing to see this company cranking out games with obvious flaws.

I agree -- would be acceptable (to me) if they committed to resolving the problem (populated playfield swap) after the GB issues are resolved, so at least you know you'll be ok and go on playing the crap out of the game in the meantime.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I agree -- would be acceptable (to me) if they committed to resolving the problem (populated playfield swap) after the GB issues are resolved, so at least you know you'll be ok and go on playing the crap out of the game in the meantime.

My last NIB Stern came with a scratch on the side rail and a decal ding. I contacted Stern and they fixed me up right away...no issue. Frankly, that was super minor stuff and I wasn't too stressed about it. But they communicated with me pretty much right away.

But this situation...man...it's crazy. The printing on that playfield is well outside of acceptable tolerance. And Stern won't even communicate with the customer? Of course, the printing doesn't affect game play play. But, the OP paid a premium price for a game direct from the manufacturer. They know what that means...we know what that means.

Seems like everyone's Stern experience is different. But, at least every Pinsider has a decent idea of what they're getting themselves into when they deal with Stern.

#145 7 years ago

oops

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Since this is undoubtedly not a one-off occurrence, in the interests of helping both the OP and others with doubts, this is what it's supposed to look like.
N.B. The muted colours are simply due to not being able to find my angle poise lamp, and shooting this at 5-8000 ISO in very little light. This playfield is not one of the very faded ones from Stern's new supplier (as another poster has shown in another thread).
As you can see, alignment is totally fine, and nothing like the OP's mess.
Also, click on the thumbnails to get the uncompressed, non-blurry images.

Your alignment is fine because you did not go so close in so that you could see the pixels . After seeing this thread I looked at the captains chair on my playfield it looked fine I then looked at it with a x10 loop could see the pixels and yes if alignment was off.

11 months later
#147 6 years ago

Almost a year later, still no response from Stern. Any suggestions?

#148 6 years ago

Wow! What asshats!! I cant believe people still give these dbags any money. Sorry you got screwed man

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Who is your distributor? I would like to know to make sure I don’t buy any games from them. They should be taking care of you.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

At this point I would blame your distro as much as Stern. He could of taken it upon himself and sent you a new playfield by now. Who was your distro and how high did you get up talking at Stern?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-stern-is-this-standard-playfield-print-quality/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.