(Topic ID: 168807)

First NIB Stern. Is this standard playfield print quality?

By Bbismuth

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.43.22 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 4.41.42 PM (resized).png
riddle-brantley-med-devices-small (resized).png
_DSC1083a.jpg
_DSC1080a.jpg
_DSC1082a.jpg
_DSC1078a.jpg
_DSC1081a.jpg
_DSC1079a.jpg
_DSC1074a.jpg
_DSC1073a.jpg
_DSC1077a.jpg
_DSC1075a.jpg
_DSC1072a.jpg
blind_abilities (resized).jpg
image-5[1] (resized).jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago

If I were Stern Pinball I would completely change the QA and testing process and employees from top to bottom. They clearly need lots of help in this area.

#52 7 years ago

I contacted my distributor. They were very friendly and requested pics. She said that they probably will send someone out to replace it with a populated playfield. Fingers crossed. I guess I'll be waiting to install all of these mods :/

Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it. When I get home, I'll take the apron off and find those registration marks.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

I contacted my distributor. They were very friendly and requested pics. She said that they probably will send someone out to replace it with a populated playfield. Fingers crossed. I guess I'll be waiting to install all of these mods :/
Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it. When I get home, I'll take the apron off and find those registration marks.

While you're in there can you get the PF date as well please?

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

If I were Stern Pinball I would completely change the QA and testing process and employees from top to bottom. They clearly need lots of help in this area.

You assume that this isn't within Stern's "acceptable" tolerances. Gary Stern is notorious for having an aggressive cost costing attitude, something perhaps required to survive the last downturn, and once that attitude is established at an organization managers all down the chain default to making what often turn out to be short-sighted decisions that might save a few bucks now but end up costing the company their good reputation, customer goodwill, and potentially, the whole business if it's not corrected in time.

Ideally, competitive forces from other viable pinball producers would eventual force Stern to improve QA and reduce mis-conceived cost cutting. That requires one or more competitors that can realistically threaten their current market dominance. I'm hopeful that Heighway will become that eventually as they seem well positioned to do so, but it would years before it becomes a real factor in Stern's decision making.

So you are left with complaining to Stern, your distributor, and on forums like this. Maybe stop buying NIB games from Stern, eventually that should have some impact, but also might rob you of some access to newer games.

Cue the old-timers who will say "most pinball machines go out on route and the operator doesn't care about cosmetic issues like this so long as it makes money".

#55 7 years ago

Would you accept a new car with a so so paint job after paying that much ?

There's your answer !

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Cue the old-timers who will say "most pinball machines go out on route and the operator doesn't care about cosmetic issues like this so long as it makes money".

Clearly the answer is to get the general public to stop playing on location, in protest.

#57 7 years ago

So, here's the registration mark. Not quite as bad as I was expecting. image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#58 7 years ago

The playfield is stamped April of 16 if that interests you.

#59 7 years ago

I'm surprised that the playfield passed the inspection process. Maybe they were scraping the bottom of the barrel on playfields since it sounds like production on ST will be winding down soon.

Contact the distributor ASAP before that happens.

#60 7 years ago

That playfield should have been stamped "2nd".

#61 7 years ago

This is unacceptable. I just cannot understand anymore people are still buying Stern pins NIB.

#62 7 years ago

My eyes hurt from looking at that. Glad you got help.
If Stern starts sending 3D glasses in the goodie bag we are all in trouble.

#63 7 years ago

That's a pretty rough registration. My guess is that it's actually twisted a bit and the printing gets a little worse even further away from the player. I could be wrong. In any case, it sounds like your distributor will be making it right. That's what matters.

#64 7 years ago

Darn I got a few downvotes for trying to stay positive & look on the brightside of things? It's not like I told the seller to not put in for a replacement? :/

#65 7 years ago

Not sure how they do registration marks on playfields, but there should at least be a second one in the opposite corner. It would almost be impossible to perfectly register something from just one mark. Not that you'd want to tear the playfield down to see the other one, but like BrewenBombers said, I'd bet the other end is worse.

#66 7 years ago

I may have found a couple more spots. These are from the left orbit. Could I possibly bother someone for comparison shot?

image (resized).pngimage (resized).pngimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#67 7 years ago

you really dont need a comparison... That looks AWFUL! Seriously the worst registration on a recent Stern I have ever seen.

Have you worked out the details with your distributor? What did they say?

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you really dont need a comparison... That looks AWFUL! Seriously the worst registration on a recent Stern I have ever seen.
Have you worked out the details with your distributor? What did they say?

They say they're waiting on a reply from Stern. It is nice to send them side by side pics. I think it drives the point home.

#69 7 years ago

OMG...thats terrible don't even think of considering it as acceptable. I hope you paid with a credit card in case they don't take care of you on it. They might be too far behind on their other issues to give your problem the attention that it needs. But they surely will if you file a complaint with your credit card company.

#70 7 years ago

They should have never let it leave the factory.

#71 7 years ago

It's actually good that these are so bad. This means the issue isn't questionable or a matter of discretion. It means you have a clear case.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It's actually good that these are so bad. This means the issue isn't questionable or a matter of discretion. It means you have a clear case.

But at the same time, a bunch of people saw this, worked on it, and it still went out. That doesn't bode well.

They're taking the piss, instead of writing off faulty product, they're hoping they get a completely ignorant buyer, or an operator that opens it up in a half lit arcade and never takes more than a glance at it.

#73 7 years ago

lolstern (resized).jpglolstern (resized).jpg

#74 7 years ago

All this being said. My God is this game fun! I just want to resolve this so I can install these mods!

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

They should have never let it leave the factory.

Gomez himself said in a recent video tour of the factory that EVERY playfield is checked for faults before installation.

He never actually states what happens if they are deemed below quality standard though or what the minimum acceptable standards are.

#76 7 years ago

There are not "a couple more spots". Your entire playfield is off my friend. Its simply most noticeable around the text. Do not, under any circumstances, let this slide. I don't know - nor need to know - who sold this game to you; it's not their fault, but do not let them give you anything but a new playfield or machine.

The black printing plate was twisted off of registration. It's difficult to explain how poor workmanship this is to someone who has never been in print shop, but this is basically just not doing your job.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

There are not "a couple more spots". Your entire playfield is off my friend. Its simply most noticeable around the text. Do not, under any circumstances, let this slide. I don't know - nor need to know - who sold this game to you; it's not their fault, but do not let them give you anything but a new playfield or machine.
The black printing plate was twisted off of registration. It's difficult to explain how poor workmanship this is to someone who has never been in print shop, but this is basically just not doing your job.

You're right. The more I look at it the more f'd up it is. It's just more noticeable in text. Must. Breathe. Deeply.

#78 7 years ago

If you decide you can't live with it, I've been looking for a Star Trek

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Gomez himself said in a recent video tour of the factory that EVERY playfield is checked for faults before installation.

How they must have laughed about it, off camera. Surprised he could contain himself.

#80 7 years ago

Anybody remember that 1 minute full cabinet decal video they showed a year or 2 ago? All I could think was "I wouldn't want that pin". It doesn't matter though. Many of you will keep on buying regardless.

#81 7 years ago

On a related note, Stern made more pins in August than any other month EVER!!! I guess it's possible when the quality isn't a concern.

#82 7 years ago

Are you absolutely sure your playfield is not teleporting to a Romulan ship?

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

I may have found a couple more spots. These are from the left orbit. Could I possibly bother someone for comparison shot?

Is there any quality control left at Stern?

Good luck to the poor bastards forking over 15K for the Batman Super LE.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Anybody remember that 1 minute full cabinet decal video they showed a year or 2 ago? All I could think was "I wouldn't want that pin". It doesn't matter though. Many of you will keep on buying regardless.

I remember a local collector's NIB Dark Knight with the misprinted/misaligned Batman logo.

Of course, this was in 2008 when Stern was having solvency issues so with the change in focus of manufacturing philosophy to an emphasis on high priced Limited Edition machines this would also translate to an increase in quality control in order to cater to a much more fastidious demographic, right?

image-5[1] (resized).jpgimage-5[1] (resized).jpg

#85 7 years ago

Ultra rare partial photo of Sterns playfield inspector

blind_abilities (resized).jpgblind_abilities (resized).jpg

#86 7 years ago

That's terrible. And that was shipped out on a premium, not even a pro....I mean...this isn't even a 4500-5k machine. This was what was shipped out on a 6500-7k machine....

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from GRR:

That's terrible. And that was shipped out on a premium, not even a pro....I mean...this isn't even a 4500-5k machine. This was what was shipped out on a 6500-7k machine....

Yeah but read the OP's original post. He can live with it. Case closed. Damned if I would.

#88 7 years ago

OP. Stay on it.. this is the last run of ST before licence expires.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Yeah but read the OP's original post. He can live with it. Case closed. Damned if I would.

That's hardly fair. I was a fool who thought this possibly was par for the course. Obviously I was wrong.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

That's hardly fair. I was a fool who thought this possibly was par for the course. Obviously I was wrong.

I guess my point is don't let Stern know you said that. It's a small pinball world. Honestly, delete the thread.

#91 7 years ago

If that was what their standard for printing was, I guess I would just have to roll with it. It's not. I'm not ok with it.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Uhhh....too late, I guess???

If pinball was my full time job, I wouldn't be reading this shi* at midnight

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If pinball was my full time job, I wouldn't be reading this shi* at midnight

Fair enough. I'm frustrated. Nothing personal.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Fair enough. I'm frustrated. Nothing personal.

I understand. I would be as well. QA goes to shi* and August is best month ever. Hopefully they get a clue.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from GRR:

Yes, because anyone paying only 5 grand should be fine with that. lol

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

If that was what their standard for printing was, I guess I would just have to roll with it. It's not. I'm not ok with it.

You seriously should be contacting your distributor and ccing stern EVERYDAY till this gets resolved. The word is that STprem is nearing the end of the run/license which means time is very important in your case. People with GB issues have a bit of time for things to get sorted, but you do not.

I personally would be insisting that they come pick up this game now and provide a full refund! Stop playing it as that alone could show that you accept the flaw. Force their hand if you dont get a satisfactory commitment by starting a chargeback with your credit card company for defective goods.

Stern apparently has major quality issues currently and the fact that they have started up a beta program with ONLY GBLE buyers at this stage is telling. I have a GBpro and was told that it will be months before they even start figuring out what will happen to pro owners. That is telling. Why start with GBLE when pros were built first and they know there are issues with them?

You will be at the very bottom of the pile if you dont take action while you are able and make noise!

#97 7 years ago

I agree with the others that say you should really start pushing them on a fix. They aren't going to pay attention to you unless you start raising a stink. They are too busy fondling themselves over the batman applications.

Hope this gets worked out for you.

#98 7 years ago

Since this is undoubtedly not a one-off occurrence, in the interests of helping both the OP and others with doubts, this is what it's supposed to look like.

N.B. The muted colours are simply due to not being able to find my angle poise lamp, and shooting this at 5-8000 ISO in very little light. This playfield is not one of the very faded ones from Stern's new supplier (as another poster has shown in another thread).

As you can see, alignment is totally fine, and nothing like the OP's mess.

Also, click on the thumbnails to get the uncompressed, non-blurry images.

_DSC1072a.jpg_DSC1072a.jpg
_DSC1075a.jpg_DSC1075a.jpg
_DSC1077a.jpg_DSC1077a.jpg
_DSC1073a.jpg_DSC1073a.jpg
_DSC1074a.jpg_DSC1074a.jpg
_DSC1079a.jpg_DSC1079a.jpg
_DSC1081a.jpg_DSC1081a.jpg
_DSC1078a.jpg_DSC1078a.jpg
_DSC1082a.jpg_DSC1082a.jpg
_DSC1080a.jpg_DSC1080a.jpg
_DSC1083a.jpg_DSC1083a.jpg

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Since this is undoubtedly not a one-off occurrence, in the interests of helping both the OP and others with doubts, this is what it's supposed to look like.
N.B. The muted colours are simply due to not being able to find my angle poise lamp, and shooting this at 5-8000 ISO in very little light. This playfield is not one of the very faded ones from Stern's new supplier (as another poster has shown in another thread).
As you can see, alignment is totally fine, and nothing like the OP's mess.

You rock, ducks. Thanks!

#100 7 years ago

You have the Premium astigmatic Edition looks perfect to me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-stern-is-this-standard-playfield-print-quality/page/2?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.