(Topic ID: 168807)

First NIB Stern. Is this standard playfield print quality?

By Bbismuth

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tacshose
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.43.22 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 4.41.42 PM (resized).png
riddle-brantley-med-devices-small (resized).png
_DSC1083a.jpg
_DSC1080a.jpg
_DSC1082a.jpg
_DSC1078a.jpg
_DSC1081a.jpg
_DSC1079a.jpg
_DSC1074a.jpg
_DSC1073a.jpg
_DSC1077a.jpg
_DSC1075a.jpg
_DSC1072a.jpg
blind_abilities (resized).jpg
image-5[1] (resized).jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

I just received a Star Trek Premium, my first NIB. There are a couple of spots on the playfield that look like the printer heads weren't aligned. Is this normal for Stern playfields? I can live with it. Just want to make sure it's not too far out of the norm. I love this machine, btw.

image (resized).png
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

That's probably normal but you could speak with your distributor to see what they think.

#3 3 years ago

Here's mine. I got one of the last STLEs.

image (resized).jpeg

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies! Your's is definitely a bit clearer. Not sure if it's worth pursuing though.

#5 3 years ago

Alignment was off for sure, is that the only place? I would look over the playfield carefully and see if there are any other areas affected...I could live with what you have shown but if there were any other blurry areas I would for sure complain to my distributor...

#6 3 years ago

The printing is slightly out of registration. Just checked my LE, same as Cappi's. That area isn't crisply detailed. How's the rest of playfield? It's unlikely to be off in just one spot. I worked in commercial printing.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Alignment was off for sure ...

Yep. It's obvious when you look at the "three in a row" diagram. It looks like one layer of black ink was shifted to the right.

#8 3 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Side by side with Cappi's.

Am I obsessing too much? Probably so.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

Am I obsessing too much?

That depends. It's not that big of a deal, and it doesn't in any way affect how the game plays. In fact, a lot of people probably wouldn't even notice it. That being said, it could potentially affect the resale value. If I was in your shoes, I'd talk to your distributor and see if they can do something for you. That's a lot of money to pay for a game with a defective playfield.

#10 3 years ago

stern wont see any $ from me again.

#11 3 years ago

Wow, sad to see this. How's your inserts look? Been seeing some bad inserts ghosting on newer Stern's. I check my Metallica premium and all seems good after 2 years owning.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

I don't think you're obsessing too much. You noticed it right away after all. I'd contact my distributor if that were mine.

#13 3 years ago

Im sure Stern will fix this and any other issue you have with PF's in a timely manner.....

#14 3 years ago

If you submit an application you might be one of the lucky people who get a replacement PF.

#15 3 years ago

Honestly I think it looks kinda' cool. However, it is a flaw & the buyer has every right yo be picky at new Stern prices.

If it were me I'd keep it, but put in a playfield replacement request and just see how it pans out.

Printing alignment aside, congrats on your new addition to the family!

#16 3 years ago

Those pics make me want to see my optometrist.
Clearly the persons doing QC have poor vision as well, otherwise they would have noticed the flawed playfield right away.

#17 3 years ago

Theses games aren't cheap. Minimum $4500. You should expect much better quality when you shell out that kind of cash for a game. I'd still never buy a stern.

#18 3 years ago

Damn, STERN has just gone right the hell down hill.... That is beyond unacceptable. They're becoming a joke.

#19 3 years ago

Where are you buying NIB Sterns for 4500? More like 5k minimum if picked up as far as I know,

#20 3 years ago

Hey, at least they have all kinds of creative marketing strategies!

Maybe they could worry less with the hype machine and hire some new QC folks. This stuff is getting a little ridiculous.

#21 3 years ago

I'd make a complaint

#22 3 years ago

While it might not affect gameplay, there is a good chance that it would negatively impact resale value should you want to sell it in the future.

#23 3 years ago

Contact your distributor, immediately, as other have said. That will cost you a lot of money on resale.

#24 3 years ago

Bark up the tree maybe, MAYBE they'll help.

#25 3 years ago

I do not mind ghosting as much (which you do not have), but this playfield is unacceptable indeed.

#26 3 years ago

I've wanted to buy my first NIB. And while I know Pinside can be home to some of the most anal retentive, anxiety-ridden people out there, people have pointed out numerous problems that are not to be ignored. Couple that with their pricing and marketing schemes, and I do mean schemes, and that makes matters even worse. As a result, I couldn't be any further from a NIB purchase than a I am right now.

#27 3 years ago

I would complain. I only expect to see double after a crate of ale and a couple of hours playing. Not when I'm sober and just switched the game on.

#28 3 years ago

Prices and audience. When LOTR had bad registration, it kind of sucked, but that's life. Now you probably paid double what a NIB LOTR cost. Plus you're not flinging it out on location, it is in your house.

In my opinion, all the playfield problems will be Stern's undoing. It's the part you can't swap out easily. If it was electronic (like the MET hammer), most people here could just swap the board themselves. But how many of us can swap a playfield? I don't want to order a new Stern because it's a lottery. It might be good, or it might be crap. It's the most important part in the game and they are messing up their golden goose by not attending to their business.

#29 3 years ago

Personally I wouldn't obsess too much over this. Enjoy your game because you chose well!

#30 3 years ago

That is a defect that should have NEVER been dropped in a game. Contact your distributor and insist on swapping it out with another NIB.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

#31 3 years ago

If they dont have another then demand a return for a full refund.

That is just more junk QC than anything. Literally 60 seconds to look at that pf and it would/should be rejected at the factory.

#32 3 years ago

You should get a replacement/unpopulated p/f from Stern and then when you sell the game, you won't lose extra money because of poor printing.

#33 3 years ago

How would you feel if you bought a brand new car, and it was all scratched up? Or if the paint was sprayed over the edges of the windows and lights? I seriously doubt that the dealer's perspective is going to be that it's 'good enough'.

These are expensive products, and everyone buying new in box should be holding Stern's feet to the fire when it comes to all the defects. When you spend that kind of money, you should expect that pin in perfect condition - both aesthetically and functionally. If people just accept Stern delivering poor quality, they have no reason to deliver a better product (obviously pride in their product isn't a high priority). They keep raising their prices, and keep lowering their standards.

Stern should be embarrassed that they let that playfield go out in a pin with their name on it.

#34 3 years ago

That's pretty bad. Are there registration marks under the apron on this game? That would indicate whether registration is off for the whole playfield.

#35 3 years ago

Not the norm and I would think that would be a major unquestionable defect. I would be shocked if Stern considers that acceptable.

#36 3 years ago

WTF is Stern doing?!? I'd be pissed if that were my first NIB. You should not have to wear f*cking 3D glasses to read your PF.

#37 3 years ago

Does Stern really think all these half assed pins are being routed and that no one will notice or care? News flash Stern...the collector/home market is your bread and butter.

#38 3 years ago

That looks awful. I absolutely would kick up a (huge) fuss. There's no way that playfield ever should have made it through QC.

This post is relevant in another thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/77#post-3320907

Shows just how much worse the new batch of ST playfields are than the ones from the old suppliers.

I wonder how much money they're saving ... 20%? 30%? 40%? 50%? My guess is between 30% and 40%.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Not the norm and I would think that would be a major unquestionable defect. I would be shocked if Stern considers that acceptable.

But they clearly do. There's no way that would have got through QC if there was any.

#40 3 years ago

Just wait till it starts ghosting to

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

WTF is Stern doing?!? I'd be pissed if that were my first NIB. You should not have to wear f*cking 3D glasses to read your PF.

My original Spidey had a playfield that looked like you needed 3D glasses - the red and blue weren't registered right, so it looked like a 3D comic book. I didn't really think much about it until I saw other Spideys - those playfields were like "High def" looking compared to mine.

I haven't seen a stern with poor registration in years - they seemed to have gotten their act together in that regard, so IMO this playfield is a defective anomaly that should not have made it into a game. When you see other ST's in person, you're gonna say "shit, these look so sharp and detailed!" Contact Stern and get it sorted out.

#42 3 years ago

Do you know how many miles of wire were put into that thing without anyone noticing that the printing was way off?

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Do you know how many miles of wire were put into that thing without anyone noticing that the printing was way off?

"That's not my job. I'm just the wire girl".

#44 3 years ago

Stuff like that would mess with my eyes. I'd feel like I'd be constantly blinking trying to get the gunk out of my eyes.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Can you see the art when wiring the back side?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

I don't think so. I mean, I'm with you on the fact that I'll probably just learn to live with it, but at the same time, I'd drive me absolutely nuts.

So maybe I'd kindly say something to your distributor and see where that takes you.

#47 3 years ago

I own a ST/PRe,for 2.33 yrs,and mine doese'nt look like that!!!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Can you see the art when wiring the back side?

It is likely.

#49 3 years ago

Be the squeaky wheel like kpg and I'm sure you'll get some results. You might even get Gary's cell phone number

#50 3 years ago

While I generally think that a lot of pinside members are overly critical or harsh on minor issues, I would not keep this game. That registration is significantly misaligned. I think Sterns have the registration marks on the PF under the apron on the left side. You can also see the problem there (twisted, offset, both...) and the first thing printers should check after printing.

There is nothing Premium about your playfield. You deserve to have this remedied.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside