Topic poll

“First NIB Purchase. SW Premium vs Metallica Premium Home Use”

• Metallica Premium Pinball 14 votes
    82%
  • Star Wars Premium Pinball 3 votes
    18%

(17 votes)

#1 9 months ago

Need insight on a few things regarding these two games. I'm finally ready to buy my first NIB Pinball Refinery Premium pinball. I am still on the fence if one is the right one versus the other. It's between Star Wars and Metallica (assuming Stern starts production as rumored end of the month). I am love with both games, played the crap out of both, and need to see what the public currently thinks about these two game specifically. I will note I have not played SW Premium's newest code base, but I have with Metallica.

My questions are for those who played both:

1. Replayability.
2. Rule set comparison. I am not fully aware how deep both go.
3. Shot satisfaction.
4. overall enjoyment for intermediate players.
5. Lastly, which pin would you keep for Home use? Star Wars (Premium/LE) or Metallica (Premium/LE)?

I keep hearing Metallica rule set is a grind to Wizard mode. Is that the same for SW? Is it still true that for max points in SW you typically select R2-D2? I hate machines that require you to pre-select a "destiny" path. That sometimes cuts down the experience.

FYI, I plan to buy the other pinball I do not buy this year 3-4 years down the road when funds become available.

#2 9 months ago

Edit: since you’ve played both to death, which one do you think you will enjoy trying to reach the end of the game more?

Metallica is a very repetitive process to get through all crank it up modes.

Star Wars is more of a complete these 6-7 tasks to get to the emperor and battle him.

I think it’s harder to beat MET, but might be more fun to beat Star Wars.

In home use, the character you pick in Star Wars doesn’t matter as you can beat the game and start a new character. That makes the game crazy deep, but I doubt many will complete more than one character.

For points, Han and R2D2 are both very lucrative.

#3 9 months ago

I find Metallica to be a real grind. 10 hits on sparky for multiball. ~10 hits to snake mb. like 40 hits for coffin. Collect 15 of each 4 items to light crank it up, do that 4x for the final wizard mode. It's a fun game but it got old for me eventually. Then again I've played it a lot more than I've played SW so far...

Metallica has some cool rules involving the items, completing shots, hurry-ups, and crank it up, but the rest of it is very standard. SW rules are very non-standard. Play modes to light multiballs, the modes can't be timed out, so you have to learn how to play ~14 individual modes to be able to play it well. I find that really fun, and spent weeks on the game just playing each mode and figuring them out. Other people hate it though, they want to just shoot the lit shots and not have to learn all this crap.

Metallica's shots are easier and feel good to hit. SW's are all a bit difficult (narrow, further away). You tend not to hit a shot on the first try, and need to recover and try again, but I don't find myself failing to hit them too much once I actually get control and aim properly. It wants you to go fast, but fast is dangerous, so you've got to learn to balance it.

People who play R2D2 all day don't know what they're doing. I get high scores with every character, and I don't choose R2 in competition either. I think the best points come from Leia, but you have to get to the mini-wizard modes to get those points, so she can also be the lowest scoring. Having the four characters each with their own sets of modes keeps the game refreshing a lot longer than I'd have expected. On most games I figure out one 'path' through the game but on my SW I choose a different character, and then choose which mini-wizard to go for, and my strategy changes completely for all of them.

#4 9 months ago

If you don't really know the rules, Metallica can be a grind. Important thing is lighting the inserts for each shot and locking them in with the hurry ups. Every time you hit that shot, you are awarded a shot for each lit insert. Trick is to get all the inserts lit without getting them all. Once you get them all you start Seek and Destroy. Fun mode but it resets all the inserts. The only shot you really have grind on is the captured ball. However, you get a double shot if you hit it right after ball drops over inlane switch.

For me, Metallica is by far the best Stern. I don't think I will ever technically beat the game by getting to End of the Line but that's fine. Getting to one or two CIU modes is not too hard but real challenge to do well in them. There is always something to shoot for and fun modes to play. Each multiball has different rules that make them feel really unique. Modes are all really fun, too. Best thing is getting coffin mb running with another mb and other modes all at the same time. Band does the callouts and everything just comes together with this pin.

I really enjoy playing SW but for different reasons. Gameplay seems more generic but it's still a fun shooter and the shot multiplier is awesome. There are a lot of modes so overall it does seem a lot deeper than MET. Gameplay can be brutal where you can get back to back plunge drains without being able to put a flipper on the ball. I wouldn't mind getting one down the road if I come across a cheap pro.

I would look for a used MET. It was in production for a long time and looks like Stern is still making them. You might be able to find a good deal on a nice one with added mods like colordmd. Save a little money and then look for a used SW down the road.

#5 9 months ago

Met is fun.
But I choose sw the code is really cool and immersive. If you like sw then it’s a no brainer. The hyperloop is very cool and probably the most satisfying shot in the game. Plus the game is fast. I think this is richies best compilation Of all his pins shots put together.

Love both but sw!

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I really enjoy playing SW but for different reasons. Gameplay seems more generic but it's still a fun shooter and the shot multiplier is awesome. There are a lot of modes so overall it does seem a lot deeper than MET.

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. I agree with all of you and the good points you have pointed out.
Perhaps the added element provided in SW with the Smart button along with the mini-games with the LCD gives the appeal for a larger crowd (i.e. my kids are 4 and 2 and will be growing up with this Pinball).

I own a Tales from the Crypt which John Borg designed as well and I love how that game modes makes use of the whole playfield. Metallica (Premium/LE) reminds me of that game (mostly the layout of the ramps with the side targets), but I have not tried to play the games rules aggressively. I mostly played these machines at Pinball Expos and a bowling ally.

Hmm, I have to continue to ponder.

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

However, you get a double shot if you hit it right after ball drops over inlane switch.

Are you sure about this? I’ve tested this a lot and it seems the shot count never reduces by two. I think the shot is just worth double maybe. That or the count is not right.

Still a grind to have to collect the same items over and over and over again. And pretty hard to get all the shots locked in with the multiple inserts. Doesn’t happen often on an early ball.

Quoted from zermeno68:

Perhaps the added element provided in SW with the Smart button along with the mini-games with the LCD gives the appeal for a larger crowd (i.e. my kids are 4 and 2 and will be growing up with this Pinball)

Yeah SW will definitely have a wider appeal.

#8 9 months ago

Despite not being a huge fan, I choose a Metallica Premium as my first (and currently only) Stern. I'm the opposite of many in that I prefer non-mode based games. I guess you could call collecting all of the shots to be a grind, but at least you are using the entire playfield. It certainly isn't just hit Sparky 15 times, hit Snake 15 times, etc. My typical strategy is to shoot at least one Snake and one Graveyard target before starting Sparky multiball. Then use the multiball to try to shoot as many shots as possible. Hopefully eventually hitting the picks and snake to add-a-ball. When multiball ends it's time to assess which shots are lit solid or close to being lit solid, lighting as many of them as possible. At that point your fairly setup for reaching at least one Crank It Up. During Crank It Up it helps if you can light the piston multiplier before cashing out. That's the gist of it, but along the way your are likely to also see some of the other modes like Snake, Master of Puppets, Justice For All, etc.

Added 9 months ago:

EDIT: I see I used the term "mode" at the end of my comment. I guess those are technically modes, but the game itself isn't doesn't really feel like it's about completing modes. I don't know. I'm sure someone else can probably explain it better.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

1. Replayability.
2. Rule set comparison. I am not fully aware how deep both go.
3. Shot satisfaction.
4. overall enjoyment for intermediate players.
5. Lastly, which pin would you keep for Home use? Star Wars (Premium/LE) or Metallica (Premium/LE)?

1. Both are great in this category

2. Star Wars has more to do in general. I use all the characters, none of them are horrribly unbalanced.
Metallica isn’t a mode based game, it has modes but they are all more like mini wizard modes.
3. Both have good shot moments. The general shot feel is the same.
4. You’ll like them both as an intermediate player.
5. I sold Metallica because I played thousands of games on it. It is a great game, just burned out on it.
I got with the idea of selling Star Wars, but I have kept that one so far.

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Need insight on a few things regarding these two games.

Cool I know them both very well

Quoted from zermeno68:

I'm finally ready to buy my first NIB Pinball Refinery Premium pinball.

Oh boy, Don't! Save all that extra cash for another game.

Quoted from zermeno68:

FYI, I plan to buy the other pinball I do not buy this year 3-4 years down the road when funds become available.

So you're gonna buy a new game and then not buy another for 3-4 years? Yeah good luck with allll that.

#11 9 months ago

I've owned both, well a Metallica Pro which I sold and now a Star Wars LE. Metallica didn't hold me long due it's ruleset design which feels like a grind. I prefer objective based rulesets and while Metallica has some objective based modes (Crank it Up modes) they are locked behind grind based objectives (hit target 10x, 20x, etc) that get old quick in my opinion.

Star Wars on the other hand is one of Sterns most deepest objective based games with a story based ruleset covering the entire original trilogy. There are so many different ways to play Star Wars as well with the character / ability select and then deciding which of the 4 locations you want to go through.

#12 9 months ago

I have to say it's really interesting hearing all this about Metallica which is a very beloved machine by many being a grind.

I'm kind of in a similar situation where I'm ready for a new machine and have been patiently waiting for POTC to release but my patience is really running thin so now I'm considering a MMR or a Metallica Premium.

For the original poster, the two machines you are looking at are both great but I would lean Star Wars Premium as the first to acquire. Each game does have a different feel to it and it's a fast and furious game which will keep you wanting more of it! Stern really hit it out of the box with theme integration on Star Wars, very immersive game.

#13 9 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I have to say it's really interesting hearing all this about Metallica which is a very beloved machine by many being a grind.

It can be a grind if you don't roll things together properly. If you're a robot and hit sparky 10 times, then the snake 10 times.... it can be boring I guess (spoilers you suck). Mixing the MBs in to help the progression of CIU modes is of course the key.
And of course the CIU rules are some of the best ever. All MB rules with the 2/4x jackpots are just awesome.

#14 9 months ago

Metallica is a grind for the first 5 minutes then once the multi-balls starting hitting it is an absolute blast. There is nothing like it when you get it to really roll with one multi-ball rolling into the next. The CIU modes make the game an all-time great. They add a level of intensity and fun that really gets your blood pumping. I don't even like Metallica as a band, but I love the pinball game. Games tend to be mostly shorter with the occasional "blow it up" scoring game thrown in there to keep you engaged. Great game for intermediate players.

SW is a fun game and yes there are a ton of strategies surrounding what character you pick and how you progress. It is more for an advanced skill level or competitive player with complexity involving multipliers and shot stacking in order to get the greatest score from a particular shot at the just right time. That said, the Light Saber Duel and Escape from Boba Fett modes are great fun. Games tend to be longer, especially if you move the posts down on the outlanes so it is not a drain monster.

Bottom line, they play differently but either one is a great choice. I would vote Met.

#15 9 months ago

Metallica is the only pin I've owned that I have not sold. It's a keeper. My wife said she won't ever let me sell it.

#16 9 months ago

Just get Bad Cats instead.

#17 9 months ago

Meow Meow?

EDIT:Meow!

#18 9 months ago

I own a Met Pro Refinery Edition...love it! Not leaving my house until it or I’m dead. I also own a SW Prem. I like the SW better, but it’s a tough decision. I like SW deep rule set and fast, heart pumping strategy that needed to get the super high scores...I’m also a huge SW geek, so the theme is a grail for me.

You can’t go wrong here. Both are super fun to play and super fast. SW is a little more cruel when it comes to drains, but will make you a better player...just don’t hit the glass when you get frustrated.

PS. If you get a Met, spring for a color lcd display...expensive, but you won’t regret it!

#19 9 months ago

This thread needs a pole. Poles solve everything...

#20 9 months ago

My vote would be for Metallica.

Or take a look stern is making star trek again, good rules and good flow. Very challenging.

#21 9 months ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

This thread needs a pole. Poles solve everything...

This is my first thread I personally started and was not aware of a Poll option. It is a good idea, but I got this error message:

"Error! You (1000) have insufficient user level for this call (Y:0, R: 10)."

It appears I cannot make a poll for this thread unless you can tell me otherwise.

#22 9 months ago

After long deliberation with wife and myself, the wife recommended to get METALLICA first and SW later.
All your input guided to my decision, seems those who provided input mostly stick with METALLICA but with a small margin.

After reading these posts over and over again I come to realize I need a game that allows me to bash various objects
while going through the gameplay.
Focusing on bashing toys alone, Metallica provides drop targets, Sparky, Snake (not much of a bash), and Hammer. Whereas,
I believe SW only has the Tie Fighter to bash (not including fixed targets as those objects do not give me the satisfaction level versus
drop targets).

#23 9 months ago

First of all, you're making the correct decision in buy Premiums and not Pros. I bought them both NIB. Love them both.
My simple answer would be to buy both if you can.
I just read your post above saying you're gonna get MET first and SW later. Good call. You really can't lose in this dilemma. 2 great games.

My extended $.02...
MET is easier, especially for beginner/intermediate players. Very fun game with great art, colors, and dmd animations (buy a colordmd!). The ramps/shots are satisfying, but the repetative bashing may get old. Music may get old (like all music pins). Theme isn't appealing to all. You need to add the dmd, shaker, subwoofer.

SW is deeper and more difficult. You will love it and hate it! Way more addicting IMO. Very fun game also but more difficult for newer players. Amazing lightshow. Very satisfying shots. The hyperloop is simple in design but very satisfying for some reason. Fantastic audio. And theme... HELLO! it's Star Wars!
Already comes with a great color lcd! You need to add the shaker and subwoofer.

Junky

#24 9 months ago

Why the downvote? I'm guessing because I don't prefer pros

#25 9 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Why the downvote?

My fault, I gave it as soon as you told him to get both and didn't read your next sentence

#26 9 months ago

You will find many more players are fond of Met than S-W. I really like S-W a lot. It is not for beginners, they will get their ass handed to them and not like it very much. Like I said, I like S-W very much but I still give the nod to Met.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.50
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Orange Park, FL
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 109.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 249.99
Great American Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 159.99
Great American Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside