(Topic ID: 302590)

First NIB. Is this acceptable? (typical?)

By Renegade

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

336B021A-AEBF-435B-837F-2C5B0A455F78 (resized).jpeg
10519011-1966-497F-8B84-F55C2F1A2DFE (resized).jpeg
JQqKCkntV3mSe9HrDjK3TU-1200-80 (resized).jpg
20210909_155556-1 (resized).jpg
C88824F2-F940-41F3-A306-6D82213448B5 (resized).jpeg
0135193B-1C9A-4119-A4B8-D5EC3A92A4DD (resized).jpeg
10D1F68F-6BDC-4ED1-947C-ED5A51C79BEF (resized).jpeg
476D97AE-7291-4BE7-9731-0D49B8290236 (resized).jpeg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Just opening a GOTG Pro and found this crack at the top of the cab, below the head. I'm super bummed. I know it's just a "pro" but I wasn't expecting to find this out of the box. I haven't complained to the distributor yet. I guess I don't know what my options are. Am I being unrealistic in my expectations?

0135193B-1C9A-4119-A4B8-D5EC3A92A4DD (resized).jpeg0135193B-1C9A-4119-A4B8-D5EC3A92A4DD (resized).jpeg10D1F68F-6BDC-4ED1-947C-ED5A51C79BEF (resized).jpeg10D1F68F-6BDC-4ED1-947C-ED5A51C79BEF (resized).jpeg476D97AE-7291-4BE7-9731-0D49B8290236 (resized).jpeg476D97AE-7291-4BE7-9731-0D49B8290236 (resized).jpegC88824F2-F940-41F3-A306-6D82213448B5 (resized).jpegC88824F2-F940-41F3-A306-6D82213448B5 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Unacceptable

#3 2 years ago

Talk to your dealer and they should fix it.

#4 2 years ago

if that's it, and nothing else is wonk.. (looks like it got dropped a little hard) you'll never see it with the head up. who cares. Looks like something else might be busted going by the ripped decal.

#5 2 years ago

Unacceptable. Request a replacement from distro

#6 2 years ago

I’d ask for a replacement - if you are ever going to try and sell it in the future that crack will cost you in the long run. I’d Send pics and the request to your distributor immediately.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

Unacceptable. Request a replacement from distro

That's kind of the rub too. The Distributor claimed this was their last one. I know Stern did another batch of these, but I don't know if that's it or if they'll be producing more.

#8 2 years ago

Unacceptable

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

That's kind of the rub too. The Distributor claimed this was their last one. I know Stern did another batch of these, but I don't know if that's it or if they'll be producing more.

I would return it for another pin. If they dont have what you want then refund, simple.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I’d ask for a replacement - if you are ever going to try and sell it in the future that crack will cost you in the long run.

That's really my main concern, resell down the road. They claimed this was their last one though.

#11 2 years ago

Agree with many of the others. Unacceptable.

#12 2 years ago

Unacceptable!
I didn't except this two months ago. Told them to leave it on the truck. Distributor said did you evan look at it, I said is that how you shipped it.

20210909_155556-1 (resized).jpg20210909_155556-1 (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago
JQqKCkntV3mSe9HrDjK3TU-1200-80 (resized).jpgJQqKCkntV3mSe9HrDjK3TU-1200-80 (resized).jpg
#15 2 years ago

See if you can get a new bottom cabinet from your distro, the. You get to keep and play your game till it arrives, then swap it out. (Or have the disro help swap)

#16 2 years ago

We just rejected a special order front door for our house from Menards THREE times because it was scratched each time it came in. Yes, three different doors came and all three were scratched in a different spot. I told them, I'm not spending $1700 for a door that I have to have someone touch it up or to pretend I didn't see the scratches. It's not about the money, it's about the quality and after the third try we finally got our money back and will look else where's.
I can't imagine spending $5K on a pin and having it come in broken like that and accepting it. Send it back and tell them to get you another or get a refund, period!!

John

#17 2 years ago

Yeah, that is bad. I’d request cash for a bump/dent or a new cabinet. You’d be better off with a used one than a game with that kind of crack.

#18 2 years ago

Have the distributor get you a new one.
I would never accept that.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

You can bet that this will not be last back box of this type that Stern manufactures or has at their plant already.
The distributor might be out at his location, but that does not mean a replacement cannot be obtained.

#20 2 years ago

Remove the decal and fix the crack with wood glue and clamps. Then install a new decal that Stern should provide. Pretty easy repair.

#21 2 years ago

It may be the last one, but get your money back. Buy a HUO one without the damage or find a different vendor.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I can't imagine spending $5K on a pin and having it come in broken like that and accepting it

$5k? Pros haven’t been $5k in a loooooooooong time.

#23 2 years ago

I could not live with that! I don’t understand why Stern and JJP don’t use Tip’n tells and drop’n tells. It would take a lot of the stress out of unboxing a game. I think it would also be helpful when a game is delivered to your house, one quick look at the indicators and if they have been activated simply refuse delivery of the game, or have the driver sit there for 45 minutes while you unbox and inspect it. The game could still be damaged if the indicators are not activated, but it would be much less likely.
10519011-1966-497F-8B84-F55C2F1A2DFE (resized).jpeg10519011-1966-497F-8B84-F55C2F1A2DFE (resized).jpeg

336B021A-AEBF-435B-837F-2C5B0A455F78 (resized).jpeg336B021A-AEBF-435B-837F-2C5B0A455F78 (resized).jpeg

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I don’t understand why Stern and JJP don’t use Tip’n tells and drop’n tells.

Because it would take a couple bucks from their bottom line ...
Lets see if Stern & Distro make this right!

#25 2 years ago

It is a shame but an easy repair. Get stern to cough up a 10% refund and a new decal. Wood glue and clamp like already mentioned and reapply the new decal. Super easy and good as new with $500 in your pocket.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

...They claimed this was their last one though.

If so, then ask for a refund. I wouldn't even bother to unpack further. Who knows what else is messed up that you don't even see yet.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

See if you can get a new bottom cabinet from your distro, the. You get to keep and play your game till it arrives, then swap it out. (Or have the disro help swap)

Not a terrible option, but beware. Cabinet swap is no cake walk. The lower cab on my Metallica split and the swap took me 8 hours, and I know what I'm doing. The replacement cab was totally bare, besides paint and decals. No ground braid, no t-nuts, no coin door, no power supply, nothing. I had to disassemble the whole damn game to accomplish the swap. In hindsight not sure it was worth the time and hassle.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

It is a shame but an easy repair. Get stern to cough up a 10% refund and a new decal. Wood glue and clamp like already mentioned and reapply the new decal. Super easy and good as new with $500 in your pocket.

I vote for this option as well. The cabibet is not broken. Just split along a seam and fixable. If you're lucky your distributor may even be willing to help or chip in for the repair. A local tech should be happy to ablige for a few hundo.

#29 2 years ago

I could not live with that! I don’t understand why Stern and JJP don’t use Tip’n tells and drop’n tells. It would take a lot of the stress out of unboxing a game. I think it would also be helpful when a game is delivered to your house, one quick look at the indicators and if they have been activated simply refuse delivery of the game, or have the driver sit there for 45 minutes while you unbox and inspect it. The game could still be damaged if the indicators are not activated, but it would be much less likely.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

My GNR came with a tip n tell on the box.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

My GNR came with a tip n tell on the box.

I stand corrected I didn’t realize JJP was doing tip n tell and drop n tell on their boxes, kudos to them!

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

if that's it, and nothing else is wonk.. (looks like it got dropped a little hard) you'll never see it with the head up. who cares. Looks like something else might be busted going by the ripped decal.

Absolutely not. That is major damage, and there might be more issues with the game . To cause that kind of damage, the game took quite a jolt. And you can see the damage pretty easily unless it’s against a wall or tight row of other pins.

Quoted from Renegade:

Not to disparage the distributor, (and since you didn’t name them, I am not) but maybe it was their last one because it was damaged.

#32 2 years ago

Meh, that kind of damage can happen easier than you think. Happened to my star wars and I don’t even know how. The cabs aren’t built that well. I’d check it out fir other damage really carefully. If nothing else and it seems to play fine, as several others in the minority have said - it’s pretty easily fixable. Bummer though? Definitely! Guess it depends how much you want the game and to play it now. It’s certainly warranted to return it based on this if you wanted to go that route. I’d be annoyed personally but would keep and try to get a new decal / $$ back.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Meh, that kind of damage can happen easier than you think. Happened to my star wars and I don’t even know how. The cabs aren’t built that well. I’d check it out fir other damage really carefully. If nothing else and it seems to play fine, as several others in the minority have said - it’s pretty easily fixable. Bummer though? Definitely! Guess it depends how much you want the game and to play it now. It’s certainly warranted to return it based on this if you wanted to go that route. I’d be annoyed personally but would keep and try to get a new decal / $$ back.

That’s crap advice. If I was buying this game second hand, I would either pass, or else demand at least a $1000 discount.

#34 2 years ago

I stand corrected I didn’t realize JJP was doing tip n tell and drop n tell on their boxes, kudos to them!

Tip N Tell and a drop sensor on GNRs

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Shows you how much I pay attention to the new games coming out.

John

#37 2 years ago

No doubt that really sucks. Ordinarily, you would exchange this for a perfect NIB.

These aren't ordinary times, though, considering manufacturing backlog and rarity of available NIBs. So you need to decide whether you're willing to 1) wait 6+months for an exchange that you really want or 2)settle for an exchange that's slightly less exciting for you or 3) get this one fixed. Re-decaling isn't all that easy for someone completely new to pinball or if you're not much of a do-it-your-selfer to begin with; I wouldn't try to tackle the repair yourself unless they give you a very good discount (like $800+). Instead, I'd see if your distro will do the repair for you. If the repair is done well, it won't be noticeable and shouldn't impact resale.

...this assumes that the game is otherwise working fine.

It's a lso worth recognizing that GOTG's seem to have dried up in the marketplace. People seem to be hanging onto them for now.

#38 2 years ago

Good distributors should be at least adding tip and tell indicators on games they reship, and better distributors should be offering to re-palletize on an oversize skid for extra protection with a nominal fee.

#39 2 years ago

Refund. I wouldn’t have any other option if it was me. So what if it will take a while to get another.

When time comes to resell or trade, if I’m a potential buyer and see that crack, you bet I will want a discount.

#40 2 years ago

Not acceptable, but could potentially ask for a significant discount from the distributor, to make up for the loss in resale value.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

No doubt that really sucks. Ordinarily, you would exchange this for a perfect NIB.
These aren't ordinary times, though, considering manufacturing backlog and rarity of available NIBs. So you need to decide whether you're willing to 1) wait 6+months for an exchange that you really want or 2)settle for an exchange that's slightly less exciting for you or 3) get this one fixed. Re-decaling isn't all that easy for someone completely new to pinball or if you're not much of a do-it-your-selfer to begin with; I wouldn't try to tackle the repair yourself unless they give you a very good discount (like $800+). Instead, I'd see if your distro will do the repair for you. If the repair is done well, it won't be noticeable and shouldn't impact resale.
...this assumes that the game is otherwise working fine.
It's a lso worth recognizing that GOTG's seem to have dried up in the marketplace. People seem to be hanging onto them for now.

Absolutely don’t let anyone tell you that because these aren’t ordinary times, that you must put up with this nonsense. Put Sterns’ feet to the fire, and if they don’t make it right come back here and make a stink.

#42 2 years ago

No way.

#43 2 years ago

Accidents happen. These are heavy objects getting transported around by people who don't care about them like we do. And sometimes they get bumped or dropped along the way and break.

And none of that is your problem. Contact your distributor and work with them. They will need to replace that lower cabinet at the very least. If they don't, contact Stern directly and let them know your distributor sent you a machine with a broken cabinet, and they are not working to replace it. Work with them at first, and give them a chance to make it right. They won't replace the whole game, but they need to replace the cabinet. If they don't, scream a bit louder, and then scream very loud.

Flat out, that is beyond the line of being acceptable. Is it a fairly easy repair? Sure, but it would always look like a repair. And if you don't do that type of repair normally, it will end up looking like ass. So have them fix this one. And if they send you an unpopulated cabinet, have them also send someone to do the transfer (unless you know what you are doing). Just give them the chance to make it right before going off the deep end.

#44 2 years ago

Its the back of the cab. Probably won't get worse. I'd get a refund and keep it. If they refuse to give you a discount tell them you don't want it

#45 2 years ago

It’s always disappointing when something like this happens. Your frustration is warranted. It is most likely the fault of the shipping company, but that can be hard to prove once the game is delivered. I recommend reaching out to the distributor before Pinside. In my experience, Stern will replace your cabinet. There is a process, but it does not move at the speed of Pinside keyboard warriors.

Enjoy your game while you can and replace the cabinet when it finally arrives.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

That's kind of the rub too. The Distributor claimed this was their last one.

All stern games have the same cabinet. And they for sure have tons of cabinet decals left. Just need them to make you a bottom cabinet and ship it to ya. It has happened before with older games that had splitting cabinets.

#47 2 years ago

If it were me I would ask for a new set of decals for potential future buyer and a discount on the machine or credit towards another new machine from Stern. Replacing the cab is a lot of work and I think the damage is minor-I would not want to mess around with that. I would just take a paint pen and touch it up and if it is a concern reinforce the inside with L brackets-then enjoy playing it.
GOTG is a really fun game and I believe they are out of production now? May be the reason the distributor only had one available. You could probably get a refund, but I would keep it.

#48 2 years ago

a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time is 2 years? lol
then i am oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold !

Quoted from Rarehero:

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from Renegade: I haven't complained to the distributor yet.

Step 1 is always talk to your distributor. I've had 3 NIB pins arrive with shipping damage. Every time it was made right by my distributor. Every situation is different and your distributor should be able to discuss your options.

#50 2 years ago

Can you just request a new cabinet and then glue the broken piece? That way you would have a new cabinet if you went to sell it. Would you still lose value on the sale if you did this? Has anyone ever done this before?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-is-this-acceptable-typical?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.