• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by iwantansi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi guys,

Today i received my first NIB game Transformers LE. I know it does not rank that high and many people don't think much of it but i think it really looks awesome.

I have one question and did not know in what sub forum to post it. What do you guys put on a new playfield? wax? nothing? something else?

greetings

Harry

#2 10 years ago

wax with carnauba wax after you clean with Novus 2 (maybe every 250-1000 games depending on dirt/rubber buildup).

#3 10 years ago

ok so i have to buy a bottle of carnauba and novus 2. thnx! do i have to clean the playfield with novus before i put on the wax for the first time? only like 5 games played lol

#4 10 years ago

If you are trying to protect your playfield, one of the first things you should do is replace the stock balls that Stern includes with your game. Those pinballs are junk and will cause much more damage than whether or not you wax your playfield.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

If you are trying to protect your playfield, one of the first things you should do is replace the stock balls that Stern includes with your game. Those pinballs are junk and will cause much more damage than whether or not you wax your playfield.

Do you recommend a specific type or vendor?

#6 10 years ago

Playfield should be perfect so no need to wax straight away but as posted by Brian change those balls asap

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from hb1981:

ok so i have to buy a bottle of carnauba and novus 2. thnx! do i have to clean the playfield with novus before i put on the wax for the first time? only like 5 games played lol

should be clean. don't wax though unless you've cleaned first.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Ice9ers:

Pinball life sells them!!! Do yourself a favor and buy a bunch!!! They are around a $buck each and will save your playfeild!!! Do it!!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Ice9ers:

These balls are highly regarded, especially if there are magnets.
Congrats on your new pin.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#10 10 years ago

Novus 2 is an abrasive, don't wear down your new playfield.

Just wax with a nice carnauba wax (I recommend Blitz 1 Grand ) and put some super shiny balls in.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Novus 2 is an abrasive, don't wear down your new playfield.

+1...don't use Novus 2

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

wax with carnauba wax after you clean with Novus 2 (maybe every 250-1000 games depending on dirt/rubber buildup).

This. Except dump the novus step. Its not necessary and does not help to use an abrasive on a brand new playfield.

#13 10 years ago

No carnauba that's only school stuff get the turtle wax ice products

#14 10 years ago

Turtle wax ice is good but carnuba goes on thicker and will last longer. I only get about 100 games from TWI and get about 300 from Mothers Carnuba before I notice a slow down in game play.

#15 10 years ago

I think it more on how it's applied.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I will buy new balls and wax the playfield.

One more question. My dmd is red. I noticed on the internet they are usually orange?

#17 10 years ago

Older pins are orange dmd. However, because of à change in environmental law in Europe they changed for Europe to a different design in did style which is red, this already a couple of years ago. Some people like the orange more as it gives better shades, I find red fine too but that is all a matter of taste

Veel plezier met je nieuwe flipper.

Je weet dat er een NL flippervereniging is? www.nfvpinball.nl

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

first things you should do is replace the stock balls

Yes and replace with high grade polished balls. Then I would not touch for at least 100 plays. I use Novus 2-only if needed. Most of my NIB do not require novus for some time. I tried the auto store brand wax and it ended up having additives. I like the Blitz wax brand from Pinball Life.

#19 10 years ago

I like to apply Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" Nail Treatment to the shooter lane to protect it from ground in dirt. The clear in that area doesn't usually cover all the wood due to the way the playfield is cut in that area.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks again for all the replies!

I have bought carnauba based wax. So i will play to about 100 games and then apply it?

@Rensh
Ik ben al een tijdje lid van de vereniging alleen dit jaar nog niet in het clubhuis geweest al hoorde ik van Arie dat het nu dicht is voorlopig door problemen met de gemeente?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from hb1981:

I have bought carnauba based wax. So i will play to about 100 games and then apply it?

Don't wait, apply your wax protection right now.

#22 10 years ago

ok i have applied my wax yesterday evening. The playfield really feels smoother even though it was brand new. It plays even faster lol.

#23 10 years ago

Make sure to put down Mylar at the ball drops off the returns for the ramps, Stern does not install it from the factory on the left side iirc.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Make sure to put down Mylar at the ball drops off the returns for the ramps, Stern does not install it from the factory on the left side iirc.

Do you mean at the place by the lanes?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from hb1981:

Do you mean at the place by the lanes?

Exactly, where the ball drops off the ramp and hits the playfield. I traded my TF almost a year ago so I am trying to remember, but I believe Stern installed mylar at the drop from the right side red ramp but they didn't on the left blue ramp drop.

Oh and congrats on the NIB

#26 10 years ago

Congrats on the NIB Transformers, have fun!!

(Als je volgende keer carnauba wax zoekt, probeer deze eens, wel wat aan de prijs maar top spul, te verkrijgen bij Halfords in nederland) http://www.halfords.nl/product/105511-meguiars-wax.html

#27 10 years ago

Pick up some balls for sure. I recently started using these http://www.niftyled.com/Other-Pinball-Products/Cascade-Premium-Pinballs-p284.html

They are just like silverjets at a better price!

You shouldn't need any Novus for awhile. Mothers Caranuba is what I use and works great..

I dont recall if TF:LE has any magnets but I would lay down some mylar if there are any

Congrats on your new game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-game-playfield-maintenance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.