By wireable

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi all,

I've paid a deposit and I'm expecting my first NIB game late September/October (Stern's Jurassic Park Premium)!

I'm looking at accessories available for the machine and would like any advice on the following or in general related to protecting and improving the game.

1. The machine will be on a concrete floor. Should I get rubber feet or some kind of protectors? (links to products appreciated).

2. What do people think of side armor or flipper guards? Specifically their function, not the cosmetics (if they are worth it, then I can choose which type). Do modern machines wear a lot around the flippers, and do they make a big difference to protecting the machine?

3. Is it advisable to place mylar anywhere on the playfield? I believe some manufacturers or operators used to supply mylars for next to the slingshots in the past. Is it good practice to use these/are they necessary on modern games? (If so, where?). I'm not convinced to do a full playfield protector unless the game is notorious for wear and/or it really helps maintain value.

4. I have ordered a shaker motor. Are there any other accessories that you'd recommend as a must have? (Not cosmetic mods, as I can choose those subjectively enough, more thinking along the lines of what affects the game-play or immersion - eg a sub-woofer).

5. Do I need to wax the playfield before using it and/or regularly?
5.a) I know the manual (and others) suggests to use Novus 2, but my understanding is that that is a plastic cleaner, not a wax. Is this sufficient or should I also be using a wax?
5.b) What frequency would you recommend for home use (few plays a week)?

6. What do people think about changing the flipper rubbers? I've heard the supplied red rubbers for JP2 aren't as good as the black ones. I'm also unsure what the differences are and where to get "official" or the best/recommended ones from. Also is there a bit of a philosophy about not changing it from the factory so that it is "as intended" (or at least similar to others for score/tournament comparison)?

7. What about leg protectors? Do modern games come with these or need these?

I know that's a lot of questions (and I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this) but I'm new to this so please excuse me. Also no need to reply to all of them, and again, just looking for any general advice for protecting my first new machine .

Thanks in advance!

#2 2 years ago

Great freakin game choice-
Turn down the trough eject and apply protection to the shooter lane
Wax it, (if clear has cured enough)
Play it
Clean it a few times with a microfiber cloth
Play it
Wax it
Mod it

#3 2 years ago

Mothers 3 carnuba or other carnuba wax is fine

Would not use novus 2 at all

#4 2 years ago

The red flipper rubbers are ugly but work very well with that game…just play it-don’t build an entirely new pinball machine.

Shooter lane will chip if you do not apply some painters tape or multiple layers of (permanent) mylar, and turn down the trough eject by 50 percent-ish

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

I’m not following you tbutler6
Can you elaborate?
Start:
NiB - clean before play? Y/N
If Y then with what?

After 500 plays:
Clean? Wax? In what order and using what products?

#6 2 years ago

# new coilstops

#7 2 years ago

When you first set up the game there will be factory dust and grime all over the game (exaggeration here)

Wipe it down or vacuum it out, inspect the balls for rust, (two stern nibs had no issues here)

Then apply carnuba mothers 3 paste wax or other non abrasive

Finish updating code, inspecting game, level, then take off the wax.

When you play your first few games, not debris will show up, wipe it up. Get another beer.

If you keep it clean, you will never need to use novus

#8 2 years ago

Check the rail guides for overtightening into clear coat, and heed the advice on the shooter lane

Other than clean, wax, shooter lane, play that thing!

#9 2 years ago

Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste (Ultimate Wax System, Step 3) - 12 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002U2V1O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_B6FQQX7Q0WJ1M4A7JPMA

This stuff is ok…non abrasive. There may be better stuff

#10 2 years ago

There has been a JP Prem on location in a family entertainment center here for almost two years, it has been on 12 hours per day and had its ass handed to it by greasy pizza hands and whatever else…nothing you can do to it at home will warrant armor unless you want it…the clear coat looks good around posts also fwiw.

#11 2 years ago

I feel like i am talking to myself . Uh That sucks…

#12 2 years ago

Setup the game and play it. Enjoy it. These things are meant to be in a commercial environment taking abuse from kids. They come with everything you need to play it right out of the box.

The only thing I would really recommend to change before playing is the trough eject power. Reduce it as low as it will go and still reliably eject the ball. For me on all my machines that is the lowest setting.

When I start seeing dirt lines I wipe the playfield with novus 1. That's a monthly cleaning. Every 6 months or so I check the balls for damage and clean with novus and wax the playfield.

Don't over think it. Play it and have fun. You won't hurt it.

#13 2 years ago

I don’t wax just clean, sue me

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t wax just clean, sue me

I used to wax my games alot when I first got into the hobby. I haven't done any in a few years now and don't really notice a difference in how they play honestly.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I used to wax my games alot when I first got into the hobby. I haven't done any in a few years now and don't really notice a difference in how they play honestly.

There's a BIG difference. The ball will be like a tracer flying around the PF when it is waxed.

#16 2 years ago

Advice on “accessories and protection”…. you are already taking this way too seriously. Pinball machines are super expensive toys that are meant to be played and then sold off when you get tired of them. Don’t believe the hype! Nearly anything and everything beyond a basic voltmeter, Novus and balls is a waste of $.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Setup the game and play it. Enjoy it. These things are meant to be in a commercial environment taking abuse from kids. They come with everything you need to play it right out of the box.
The only thing I would really recommend to change before playing is the trough eject power. Reduce it as low as it will go and still reliably eject the ball. For me on all my machines that is the lowest setting.
When I start seeing dirt lines I wipe the playfield with novus 1. That's a monthly cleaning. Every 6 months or so I check the balls for damage and clean with novus and wax the playfield.
Don't over think it. Play it and have fun. You won't hurt it.

+1

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

When you first set up the game there will be factory dust and grime all over the game (exaggeration here)
Wipe it down or vacuum it out, inspect the balls for rust, (two stern nibs had no issues here)
Then apply carnuba mothers 3 paste wax or other non abrasive
Finish updating code, inspecting game, level, then take off the wax.
When you play your first few games, not debris will show up, wipe it up. Get another beer.
If you keep it clean, you will never need to use novus

I really doubt a game made and delivered with in say 30 days will have rust on the pinball. They have a coating of oil on them.

#19 2 years ago

Are you mentioning flipper button guards? I use those supplied by the same outfit in Germany that supplies the playfield protectors. Saves your cab from finger nail gouges if that concerns you.

#20 2 years ago

1: Only if its a stained and sealed concrete floor. Then use felt pads.
2: Not needed.
3: Depends. Could be worth it where a ball drops out of a wireform to an inlane. Could also use the cliffy protectors made for this. Generally not needed though.
4: Personal preference, none needed.
5: Clean with micro fiber and naphtha and then wax. Novus isnt needed unless the clear gets dull. I wax every 500 games and change balls cause they are cheap.
6: Black rubber makes the game look dirty faster. Natural rubber has different hardness based on color. Try the red and see what you like. Natural plays differently than synthetic rubber. Easy to change and cheap. Lots of options so find one you like.
7: No.
Hope this helps. Everyone does their own thing so find what works best for you and go with it. Also, rotate flipper and sling rubbers around a quarter turn every hundred games and wipe down with naphtha.
8: Have fun!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Are you mentioning flipper button guards? I use those supplied by the same outfit in Germany that supplies the playfield protectors. Saves your cab from finger nail gouges if that concerns you.

Jesus. What kind of animal is playing if there are fingernail gouges? My advice is dont let your werewolf friends play once the transform.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Jesus. What kind of animal is playing if there are fingernail gouges? My advice is dont let your werewolf friends play once the transform.

Laughed at that myself. Your supposed to play it not have sex with it.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

I have https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/mothers-mothers-california-gold-brazilian-carnauba-cleaner-paste-wax-340g/12086.html which I assume is fine? (The "step 3" is not in stock).

Quoted from tbutler6:

The red flipper rubbers are ugly but work very well with that game…just play it-don’t build an entirely new pinball machine.
Shooter lane will chip if you do not apply some painters tape or multiple layers of (permanent) mylar, and turn down the trough eject by 50 percent-ish

Good advice, thanks.

Quoted from tbutler6:

There has been a JP Prem on location in a family entertainment center here for almost two years, it has been on 12 hours per day and had its ass handed to it by greasy pizza hands and whatever else…nothing you can do to it at home will warrant armor unless you want it…the clear coat looks good around posts also fwiw.

Noted. Won't bother thanks.

Quoted from tbutler6:

I feel like i am talking to myself . Uh That sucks…

Appreciate all the help! I'm in Australia so timezone overlap makes my replies slow sorry.

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

1: Only if its a stained and sealed concrete floor. Then use felt pads.
2: Not needed.
3: Depends. Could be worth it where a ball drops out of a wireform to an inlane. Could also use the cliffy protectors made for this. Generally not needed though.
4: Personal preference, none needed.
5: Clean with micro fiber and naphtha and then wax. Novus isnt needed unless the clear gets dull. I wax every 500 games and change balls cause they are cheap.
6: Black rubber makes the game look dirty faster. Natural rubber has different hardness based on color. Try the red and see what you like. Natural plays differently than synthetic rubber. Easy to change and cheap. Lots of options so find one you like.
7: No.
Hope this helps. Everyone does their own thing so find what works best for you and go with it. Also, rotate flipper and sling rubbers around a quarter turn every hundred games and wipe down with naphtha.
8: Have fun!

Thanks for that! And thanks to everybody else for the feedback.

I guess in summary I won't do much more other then clean it, wax it with Carnauba, lower the eject power+some kind of protection, and enjoy it as is .

Cheers!

#24 2 years ago

Only thing I never used from Stern is the balls. They used to be notorious for being shitty. Balls are cheap, buy some good ones and put them in before first game. Just be sure to give them a good cleaning to get all the oil off before going in the game.

I always put in shooter lane cliffys in my new games. Other than that I really don't think you need anything else in a home setting. I've got a MET that I bought new over 6 years ago and the scoop still looks brand new.

Like others said, give it a wipe down every month or so with a microfiber. Play the hell out of it. Enjoy.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from wireable:

Hi all,
I've paid a deposit and I'm expecting my first NIB game late September/October (Stern's Jurassic Park Premium)!
I'm looking at accessories available for the machine and would like any advice on the following or in general related to protecting and improving the game.
1. The machine will be on a concrete floor. Should I get rubber feet or some kind of protectors? (links to products appreciated).
2. What do people think of side armor or flipper guards? Specifically their function, not the cosmetics (if they are worth it, then I can choose which type). Do modern machines wear a lot around the flippers, and do they make a big difference to protecting the machine?
3. Is it advisable to place mylar anywhere on the playfield? I believe some manufacturers or operators used to supply mylars for next to the slingshots in the past. Is it good practice to use these/are they necessary on modern games? (If so, where?). I'm not convinced to do a full playfield protector unless the game is notorious for wear and/or it really helps maintain value.
4. I have ordered a shaker motor. Are there any other accessories that you'd recommend as a must have? (Not cosmetic mods, as I can choose those subjectively enough, more thinking along the lines of what affects the game-play or immersion - eg a sub-woofer).
5. Do I need to wax the playfield before using it and/or regularly?
5.a) I know the manual (and others) suggests to use Novus 2, but my understanding is that that is a plastic cleaner, not a wax. Is this sufficient or should I also be using a wax?
5.b) What frequency would you recommend for home use (few plays a week)?
6. What do people think about changing the flipper rubbers? I've heard the supplied red rubbers for JP2 aren't as good as the black ones. I'm also unsure what the differences are and where to get "official" or the best/recommended ones from. Also is there a bit of a philosophy about not changing it from the factory so that it is "as intended" (or at least similar to others for score/tournament comparison)?
7. What about leg protectors? Do modern games come with these or need these?
I know that's a lot of questions (and I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this) but I'm new to this so please excuse me. Also no need to reply to all of them, and again, just looking for any general advice for protecting my first new machine .
Thanks in advance!

hopefully you get a good playfield. Mine has issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-game-advice-in-accessories-and-protection?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.