(Topic ID: 243730)

First NIB delivery question.

By UnJed

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181003_155207 (resized).jpg
    20181003_155142 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

My first pinball machine, a NIB GOTG Pro is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday (5/28) via FedEx Freight.
    It is being delivered across the country, (USA) so I'm nervous of shipping damage.

Will the FedEx Freight driver allow me to unbox and check for damage on the machine?
    Do I sign anyway if he won't?

Would love some tips from people who have had a NIB delivered to their home, Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Yes he will let you unbox, and no don’t sign anyway if he won’t

#3 5 years ago

I bought 2 NIB. One (MBr) was dropped off by carrier. He put it in my garage and we looked over the box. No signs of damage. I am sure he would let me open it if I would have seen apparent damage. Most drivers are good about this. I would not sign if it was damaged unless he marked the ticket properly. Refuse shipment and send it back if it is damaged. Hope you get it in good condition!

#4 5 years ago

As someone who received a damaged pinball machine a little over a year ago....Attack From Mars LE.....Don't do what I did. The box was opened....I peeked inside....nothing appeared to be wrong. I signed the Bill of Lading and off the delivery guy went. I opened it a day later when I had help to move it downstairs and the backbox was crushed and broken off it's hinges and in pieces.....I was absolutely devastated....also not to mention there was no topper included either. Some someone must have dropped this thing in delivery and then brought it to me. Thank god Chicago Gaming & Game Exchange of Colorado....were more than helpful and sent me all replacement parts which included a new backbox, Green LE Trim and a new topper.....only downside was that I had to do the work myself which wasn't too bad....but it was nerve wracking....now it plays great....no issues with the machine.

I have since continued to do business with JJ @ Game Exchange of Colorado and I won't go anywhere else. The guy is a class act....he went above and beyond and made me a very satisfied customer. Can't recommend him enough for anyone looking for a NIB Pinball Machine.

Anyway the bottom line like some others have said is that you open that damn sucker up and inspect it for any cosmetic damage or anything. If you notice anything missing or any damage to the pinball machine DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT sign that Bill of Lading. Once you do you have basically agree in principle to accept it in the condition that it was delivered in.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

As someone who received a damaged pinball machine a little over a year ago....Attack From Mars LE.....Don't do what I did. The box was opened....I peeked inside....nothing appeared to be wrong. I signed the Bill of Lading and off the delivery guy went. I opened it a day later when I had help to move it downstairs and the backbox was crushed and broken off it's hinges and in pieces.....I was absolutely devastated....also not to mention there was no topper included either. Some someone must have dropped this thing in delivery and then brought it to me. Thank god Chicago Gaming & Game Exchange of Colorado....were more than helpful and sent me all replacement parts which included a new backbox, Green LE Trim and a new topper.....only downside was that I had to do the work myself which wasn't too bad....but it was nerve wracking....now it plays great....no issues with the machine.
    I have since continued to do business with JJ @ Game Exchange of Colorado and I won't go anywhere else. The guy is a class act....he went above and beyond and made me a very satisfied customer. Can't recommend him enough for anyone looking for a NIB Pinball Machine.
    Anyway the bottom line like some others have said is that you open that damn sucker up and inspect it for any cosmetic damage or anything. If you notice anything missing or any damage to the pinball machine DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT sign that Bill of Lading. Once you do you have basically agree in principle to accept it in the condition that it was delivered in.

Awesome thanks for all the insight. Hopefully the driver is chill.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from UnJed:

Awesome thanks for all the insight. Hopefully the driver is chill.

As a driver I will tell you this...I am in a hurry and got deliveries to make. That means you the buyer cannot pussyfoot around with unboxing. Be ready to do what you gotta do to inspect.
    As a collector I will tell you to do your due diligence and inspect the machine for obvious damage.
    DO NOT just sign the BOL and flip a coin on what is inside. I have seen boxes labeled one thing while getting an unpleasant surprise at what was actually inside.
    Getting new machines delivered is an awesome experience and I even takes pics of the truck backing in and unloading my machines.
    Best of luck with your machine.
    -Mike

20181003_155142 (resized).jpg20181003_155142 (resized).jpg20181003_155207 (resized).jpg20181003_155207 (resized).jpg
    #7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

As a driver I will tell you this...I am in a hurry and got deliveries to make. That means you the buyer cannot pussyfoot around with unboxing. Be ready to do what you gotta do to inspect.
    As a collector I will tell you to do your due diligence and inspect the machine for obvious damage.
    DO NOT just sign the BOL and flip a coin on what is inside. I have seen boxes labeled one thing while getting an unpleasant surprise at what was actually inside.
    Getting new machines delivered is an awesome experience and I even takes pics of the truck backing in and unloading my machines.
    Best of luck with your machine.
    -Mike[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Mike! I'll be sure to unbox quick to get him on his way.

#8 5 years ago

Some people recommend slipping the driver a tip before unboxing. Tends to make them more patient.

#9 5 years ago

I only had one NIB experience so far..hope to have more. Met Pro. Curbside delivery. Guy was nice enough to pallet jack it up my driveway for me. Box had a hole in it. I peeked in the hole, didn't see any damages and signed. In hind sight, very stupid on my part. Next time I'll open the box. What's he gonna do? Put a gun to my head and make me hurry? He can wait 5 min.

#10 5 years ago

I had an AFM LE arrive damaged, so I don’t take any chances. Thankfully, I caught it and refused delivery. With that said, I have my box cutters handy and try to be quick with it. I haven’t had any issues with any drivers waiting for me to unbox.

Good luck and congrats!

#11 5 years ago

So, you guys are actually opening and cutting the box down its sides, pulling machine out after attaching front legs (as you see done in so many unboxing videos) with driver still there? When bought my Met premium, pinball refinery did the unboxing, as they were doing upgrades before I got it. This gave me piece of mind cuz if something was wrong, the distributor would catch it. Only issue, when they shipped it to me, it was out of box, wrapped in plastic wrap and had legs attached. Pinball refinery called it there "white glove" delivery as the 2 guys put it in my home exactly where I wanted it, waited for me to lift head and plug in, and outside inspection of cabinet, etc. All was good, and signed. Was not happy to see legs attached for shipping though.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Some people recommend slipping the driver a tip before unboxing. Tends to make them more patient.

This can also get drivers terminated.
    -Mike

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

So, you guys are actually opening and cutting the box down its sides, pulling machine out after attaching front legs (as you see done in so many unboxing videos) with driver still there? When bought my Met premium, pinball refinery did the unboxing, as they were doing upgrades before I got it. This gave me piece of mind cuz if something was wrong, the distributor would catch it. Only issue, when they shipped it to me, it was out of box, wrapped in plastic wrap and had legs attached. Pinball refinery called it there "white glove" delivery as the 2 guys put it in my home exactly where I wanted it, waited for me to lift head and plug in, and outside inspection of cabinet, etc. All was good, and signed. Was not happy to see legs attached for shipping though.

Yeah that seems really weird to have the legs attached during shipping. I would think that would increase the chances of damage.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

So, you guys are actually opening and cutting the box down its sides, pulling machine out after attaching front legs (as you see done in so many unboxing videos) with driver still there?

No, this is about inspection of a pinball machine, not assembly and see if it works--that is a whole different problem altogether that has nothing to do with gashes or dented boxes that show mishandling.
    You cut the box near the seam and peel it away so that you get a 360 degree view of machine. If no dents or gashes you sign BOL.
    Remember if you destroy the box and the machine is not what was as expected or boxed wrong you will need the box to be decent to ship back.
    If you destroy the box and its not useable to ship contents back, I can refuse at that time to re-load and you will be on phone for hours with people higher than me.
    That sort of stuff happens about twice a year. Usually it's appliances.

-Mike

#15 5 years ago

My first NIB was my Met Pro. There was a fork hole in the box. I looked in and all seemed ok. After the driver left...it was truly ok...but I got lucky. I should have, at minimum, made that hole ALOT bigger to inspect better. Scares me every time I think about it. Don’t take forever, but be thorough, before signing.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Where and who did you order this Metallica machine for you????? I do not do this and just was wondering why you said Pinball Refinery did this. And you did not just get this machine delivered from me.

I always rebox my customized machines back into their boxes and ship them just as the manufacturers ship them.

Thanks,

Steve
    MI Pinball Refinery

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from UnJed:

Yeah that seems really weird to have the legs attached during shipping. I would think that would increase the chances of damage.

This is exactly why I do not ship machines with them on the legs... Too much can go wrong in transit.

Steve
    MI Pinball Refinery

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.