IMG_1404_(800x533).jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
DSC01208.JPG
photo(7).JPG
photo(6).JPG
DSC01960.JPG
DSC01952.JPG
There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 11 years ago

Well I finally got my first NIB. An AC/DC Premium is now in my gameroom. I picked it up on Monday from Estes shipping. Haha I couldn't wait 4 days for them to deliver so I just went to there dock and picked it up myself.

Got it home, unpacked, and setup. I did notice several quality issues.

1. When I lifted up the playfield there were three thumb screws stuck to the speaker magnet. I have no clue where these went or even if they belong to the machine.

2. After playing a few games, the blue LED kept falling out of the sockets under the slingshots above the flippers. This happened about three times. I pulled the sockets out and the LED's do not fit snug. I cut a small piece of thick stock paper and wrapped around the center of the LED base and stuck it back in the socket. They seem to be holding now.

3. The clear portion of the playfield above hell mini playfield has imperfections. You can see some spots here and there. Some are on top and may be able to be buffed out. Some can't be. It is not foggy like the first run but has imperfections. In the bottom left corner there stress lines that can be seen. through into the lower playfield. Not sure what to think of that.

4. The machine came with specific instructions taped on the playfield to install the ball into the mini playfield and how to do that. Well.... it was already installed. ???

5. The cannon was not traveling it's full extent either way. I looked closer and the canon plastic cover was rubbing really bad against the right plastic ramp. The screw holes on the ramp had already been slotted to push it away from the cannon but that still was not enough. I had to carefully shave some of the edge off the ramp lip to make proper clearance so the cannon could move without hitting/binding. There is NO WAY that Stern QC could have passed this cannon movement without seeing this problem. I don't understand how this got out of the door???

After the few things were adjusted/modified, The game plays very well. It is a blast!!! I am glad I got it but not the happiest about the items mentioned above. Especially the playfield imperfections and the canon/ramp problem.

Also installed Hemi's cannon mod and detonator mod. Both are awesome! Great stuff!!!!

Here are few pics to enjoy.

photo_(1).JPGphoto_(1).JPG photo_(2).JPGphoto_(2).JPG photo_(3).JPGphoto_(3).JPG

#2 11 years ago

photo_(4).JPGphoto_(4).JPG photo_(5).JPGphoto_(5).JPG photo_(6).JPGphoto_(6).JPG

#3 11 years ago

photo_(7).JPGphoto_(7).JPG photo_(8).JPGphoto_(8).JPG photo_(9).JPGphoto_(9).JPG

#4 11 years ago

photo_(10).JPGphoto_(10).JPG photo_(11).JPGphoto_(11).JPG photo_(12).JPGphoto_(12).JPG

#5 11 years ago

congrats

for something hand built, they really have some shoty quality control - unless this stuff is happening during transportation

#6 11 years ago

photo_(13).JPGphoto_(13).JPG photo_(14).JPGphoto_(14).JPG photo_(15).JPGphoto_(15).JPG

#7 11 years ago

photo_(16).JPGphoto_(16).JPG photo_(17).JPGphoto_(17).JPG photo_(18).JPGphoto_(18).JPG

#8 11 years ago

Congrat's on Yr NIB !!! I know the feel-n also , as AC/DC Prem- was my 1st last May of 2012 !!

Knowing the Issues Stern had w/ the Clear coated Lexan , it Suck's that they would still send a P/F out w/ imperfection's .. Call them up , I know a member that did and he got a choice of a P/F
( Raw ) to replace or a Sign'd Mirrored B/glass .. Anyway ,, Enjoy Yr Pin ......

#9 11 years ago

So its bad that they installed the ball in the lower playfield for you ?
Game looks awesome. Congrats!! If it helps you feel better my window is very cloudy and has a dimple.

#10 11 years ago

I had a similar experience last weekend. I picked up my NIB ACDC pro on Saturday as part of a trade. Called my buddy to help me bring it down into my game room and set it up later that night.

First issue, the lock down bar was super tight. The hex screw was rubbing against the arm on the lock down bar making it very hard to remove or install. So much so that it had rubbed some of the decal off. This looked as though it happened in the factory. I had to bend the arm out further and remove the one hex screw, all is good now. The decal rip is covered once everything is assembled.

Second issue, the "E" rollover switch would not work. Easy fix, unscrew and adjust the switch...done.

Third issue, the fire button would not work. This was an easy fix as well, the switch needed to be opened further. It was too tight and was always closed.

Forth issue, the cannon loom was stopping the ball from exiting the right ramp hole. Very easy fix but another issue that needed to be addressed.

None of these things were major and I think it took me 20mins to half an hour to fix everything. It was just irritating since it was a NIB machine. I am still on the fence on my next NIB purchase. It will be either Avengers pro or Metallica LE and this just put a sour taste in my mouth. Again, I know it's nothing major but that's the way it made me feel.

My NIB Tron was awesome right out of the box, not a single issue.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

So its bad that they installed the ball in the lower playfield for you ?
Game looks awesome. Congrats!! If it helps you feel better my window is very cloudy and has a dimple.

Haha no but why put the paper there. Do they just randomly put the ball in every other machine?

That sucks about your playfield. I would think by now that this playfield window issue would be fixed. I can understand it not being absolutely perfect but the imperfections that I can see should not have left the factory that way. Plus I hear that playfield problems is why they cut this run short.

#12 11 years ago

Sorry to hear about the issues with your game. You are making me nervous, as my game is going to be delivered today.

#13 11 years ago

So many posts about NIB sterns having issues, let's hope WOZ ships good and raises the bar a bit. Would be nice to see everyone step it up.

#14 11 years ago

Congrats on the game. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I am sorry to hear about the quality issues. This is why I bailed on Avengers LE. I just don't have the patience for it.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from bluevegas:

Sorry to hear about the issues with your game. You are making me nervous, as my game is going to be delivered today.

Hopefully you will have no issues at all! All in all I am happy with the machine. Remember this is my first NIB so I really don't know what to expect. I know what I want to see and that is a machine that has little to no issues out of the box.

I understand things get jarred during traveling/handling and may need to be readjusted. I have no problems with that. But the ramp/cannon issue was not a handling problem. It is a clearance problem that was there from the beginning. They even slotted the holes in the ramp trying make it work and still it didn't fix it. The playfield window is a quality problem that has yet to be fully fixed.

#16 11 years ago

Perfectly understandable that someone would be upset after dropping 6K+ on a NIB and it has issues. Glad to hear your enjoying the game.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

Hopefully you will have no issues at all! All in all I am happy with the machine. Remember this is my first NIB so I really don't know what to expect. I know what I want to see and that is a machine that has little to no issues out of the box.

this is my first NIB also

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

let's hope WOZ ships good and raises the bar a bit.

Don't get your hopes up, pinball machines built in mass will always have small issues.. The issue I would be worried about is the fun factor! if it is not fun who cares how good it is built !!!!!!!

Jim

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Don't get your hopes up, pinball machines built in mass will always have small issues.. The issue I would be worried about is the fun factor! if it is not fun who cares how good it is built !!!!!!!
Jim

The music alone would drive me bat shit crazy.

#20 11 years ago

How about a simple design change making the lower playfield window removable.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The music alone would drive me bat shit crazy.

Remember how DE used to speed up and "funkify" movie scores for their pins like Star Wars & Hook? Maybe Jack should have gone that route for the WOZ music? Since it's not using movie sound assets, why not, eh? I think WOZ music could be cool if "sped up & energized" a bit.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Remember how DE used to speed up and "funkify" movie scores for their pins like Star Wars & Hook? Maybe Jack should have gone that route for the WOZ music? Since it's not using movie sound assets, why not, eh? I think WOZ music could be cool if "sped up & energized" a bit.

Anything would be better than what I'm hearing now in the WoZ videos.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

Got it home, unpacked, and setup. I did notice several quality issues.

Welcome to the (QC) party Pal

Don't even get me started on quality control. I WISH I only had the amount of issues you claimed you had. Mine was horrible. HORRIBLE. With that said, everything has been fixed and/or corrected, and I am LOVING this game. Ya, the QC SUCKS, but the game play has definitely helped with the initial QC issues.

#24 11 years ago

But FUN game and great customer service so enjoy

#25 11 years ago

Looks like they forgot to take the ball out after testing.. the thumb screws are probably to the lower playfield would be my best guess.

Cannon issue is well documented on pinside, the right ramp shifts a little bit or settles during shipping if you adjust the location of the ramp it will be great! I will see if I can find the link to the thread on it.

Many guys have used a small drop of super glue for the led's.. I think the LED's they are using are slightly smaller then a regular bulb or the tolerances fluxuate.

Can you email me some pictures of the lower playfield window, I will look and see if they are normal or not normal.

#26 11 years ago

That's why you buy from JJ . Smart he is on it !

#27 11 years ago

JJ is the man. This was my first time dealing with him and I am very happy with everything. Ordering went super smooth and he kept me up to date on the whole process. Couldn't ask for more.

JJ I'll get you those pics later tonight.

#28 11 years ago

Thanks Guys.. All I want is happy customers! =) it pinball it should be FUN!

#29 11 years ago

Congrats, you will love it. Have fun playing

#30 11 years ago

I think the variation in the WOZ music is a bit better in the latest video posted. As long as it continues this way I won't be too "bothered" when it arrives. The call out were quite varied as well.

#31 11 years ago

Adjusting the ramp isn't easy as after adjustment it still sits to close to the canon maybe a file is the answer?

#32 11 years ago

What I don't understand is that I can spend a grand on other electronic devices and have them show up through shipping perfect with nothing moved. Some of the issues seem to be poorly installed/poorly controlled quality on the actual play field parts not movement. A bit low for the price.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

What I don't understand is that I can spend a grand on other electronic devices and have them show up through shipping perfect with nothing moved. Some of the issues seem to be poorly installed/poorly controlled quality on the actual play field parts not movement. A bit low for the price.

Many more moving parts on a Pinball then a tv.....

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

pinmanguy said:

Many more moving parts on a Pinball then a tv.....

I sold high end AV. Let me tell you something you worry about a 7k pinball try a 20k Plasma or projector that always needed professional calibration and had issues.

#35 11 years ago

Here is a few quick pics of the main problems on the play field.

DSC01955.JPGDSC01955.JPG DSC01959.JPGDSC01959.JPG DSC01952.JPGDSC01952.JPG

#36 11 years ago

Your playfield looks super clear. That cannon is really close to the right ramp. You might need to carve some more off.

Custumer support is actually very good at Stern. Ask for a new light socket if it contimues to be an issue.

Recommend the mirrored lightening bolts. and 906 flashiers behind them.

#37 11 years ago

That blows. Unacceptable for $6k.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

That blows. Unacceptable for $6k.

That's Stern.

Is there anything else you can purchase new for 6K or more with so many flaws?

#39 11 years ago

I tell you what, if my Premium I'm getting on Friday looks like that, I'm going to fight like hell to have them ship out a fully populated playfield to swap out, and they can have that crap sent back to them.

#40 11 years ago

Yes the playfield is clear but it shows imperfections that should not be there. Also I have readjusted the right ramp and it still was hitting the cannon. The pic below shows where the ramp pushes over the gray post sleeve. For it to properly do that it still hit the cannon. Also like I mentioned, Stern already slotted the mounting holes in the ramp near the cannon trying to pull it away from the cannon. They failed! I had to remove some of the lip of the ramp for the clearance. It still could use a little more because you can see the ramp move slightly when the cannon moves back to home.

DSC01960.JPGDSC01960.JPG

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

The pic below shows where the ramp pushes over the gray post sleeve.

Is the bottom of the ramp SITTING on the washer on the grey sleeve? If not, pull it up as that might be your problem. If it keeps slipping pass the washer, install a larger diameter washer. Mine was this way outta the box too. A simple pull up on the ramp and all is well.

#42 11 years ago

Off topic a bit, but don't your pins tear up your wood floors? I've got rubber feet and slides on mine now because they were dimpling my floors with the metal feet.

#43 11 years ago

Awesome game! I really like mine.

Thats a really nice floor in your game room. Get some of those Bryan Kelly Pin Footies or something so you dont scratch it up!

#44 11 years ago

You guys are scaring the heck out of me. I've got a Feb (now March) premium on order, and I'm not certain I'll even be able to know the problem exists and is not just part of the game (with the gameplay experience denigrated unbeknownst to me vs. if it worked as it's supposed to) let alone being able to fix it. I know pinball machines always need tweaks and I need to be prepared to deal with that, but for an NIB, I'm getting very nervous.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That's Stern.
Is there anything else you can purchase new for 6K or more with so many flaws?

Where's Lloyd? He could probably chime in to the B/W issues he had over the years as an operator buying NIB games from them back in the day.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Is the bottom of the ramp SITTING on the washer on the grey sleeve? If not, pull it up as that might be your problem. If it keeps slipping pass the washer, install a larger diameter washer. Mine was this way outta the box too. A simple pull up on the ramp and all is well.

My LE doesn't have that grey sleeve?

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from chill:

Where's Lloyd? He could probably chime in to the B/W issues he had over the years as an operator buying NIB games from them back in the day.

It's all about the change in client demographics. They now cater more towards home buyers than ever, so they better get used to us nitpicking stuff like this. Those sorts of playfield issues wouldn't be any concern to an op back in the day.

#48 11 years ago

Awwww... c'mon guys!I gotta believe the quality control on these is waaaayyyyy better than Bally Williams was back in the day. Half the time they'd put stickers on things crooked and I have to believe that assemblies and switches were screwed up when the machines arrived. Anybody around from those days to chime in about QC in the 90's?

I appreciate what you're saying about the cost of the machine to your average guy... but when they were slapping this stuff together for operators I have to believe things wre pretty slipshod. I think Stern has really had to step up it's game as most of it's customer's have become consumers vs operators and I think they're doing pretty good. It's a pinball machine... shitloads of parts and switches.... taking the jostling of a 400 mile trip to your home is going to take it's toll too. Having to do some tweeks out-of-the-box should be expected. And unfortunately, a few playfields are going to have a hair in them or a scratch or something. That's mass production.

Just be happy that with my luck - the 1 in 10 scratch in the playfield will end up at my house instead of yours....

#49 11 years ago

Did the playfield have pits in it?? Uneven surfaces???

#50 11 years ago

Not pits but it does have a couple bumps. The pic above shows one. Right below the right eye. You can feel it on the play field.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-nib-acdc-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.