Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shinytom-full.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I'm a noob looking to buy my first pin, and it will probably have to suffice as my only pin for a while. I want to be as deliberate as possible in choosing the pin, but my biggest problem is accessibility to pins, or lack thereof. There simply is no place for me to go try out the real machines in the DC metro area, so I am limited to playing virtual versions on the iPad and the like.

I have played all the pins on the Pinball Arcade version and keep going back to ToM. I think it's the number of targets and relative ease of understanding the rules for a noob. Also, the theme, artwork, music are all pretty good compared to a lot of other "machines" I've seen.

What do you guys think, would ToM be a good first (and maybe only) pin?

#2 11 years ago

Yep, absolutely. It was my 2nd pin and I had a blast with it. Get it, play it, have fun, and when you aren't playing it so much anymore get a new game.

#3 11 years ago

Yeah it started with tom 6 years ago. First and only pin, with the intentions of keeping it that way. Now look what happened. If you're going to do an older pin (williams or bally), imo that would be the pin to get.

#4 11 years ago

Welcome to pinside..a wealth of knowledge and opinions.

I love my ToM. But it could get repetitious in a small collection.

#5 11 years ago

At ToM's price, there are many other, deeper games you can find that are around that price. I do think ToM is a fun game, but individually I really believe you'll tire of it quickly.

If I was just to have one pin in my collection around the 3-5k mark, I'd do LOTR or TSPP as they're fun and hell-a-deep.

If you're more into the older B/W games around the 3-5k mark, check out STTNG, TZ, or IJ.

#6 11 years ago

ToM is a great game, its rated very high on multiple internet rankings, even if you do tire of it you could always trade it to another dude for another title.

#7 11 years ago

ToM was my 3rd game I bought...still got it.

For a die hard pinballer...in might be a little shallow. I can see that now 10+ years later. I personally think it would be a great starting pin. And if you truly will only even own one...you should have no problems selling it...or trading it for something down the road.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback (already). @LilRocky, one thing I forgot to mention that is really important to me: sound and music. I spend a lot of time viewing YouTube videos of gameplay, and I realize that sound and music is an entirely personal thing. That said, and I realize others will disagree, to me, something is not right about LOTR with regard to sound. I've thought about TSPP as well; love the theme, but I truly am envisioning a "dark" art theme for where the machine will be located. Perhaps I am way over-analyzing this. From your suggestions, though, I think STTNG and TZ would also fit the bill applying my "sound" and "color" filters.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from realroadrage:

Thanks for the great feedback (already). @LilRocky, one thing I forgot to mention that is really important to me: sound and music. I spend a lot of time viewing YouTube videos of gameplay, and I realize that sound and music is an entirely personal thing. That said, and I realize others will disagree, to me, something is not right about LOTR with regard to sound. I've thought about TSPP as well; love the theme, but I truly am envisioning a "dark" art theme for where the machine will be located. Perhaps I am way over-analyzing this. From your suggestions, though, I think STTNG and TZ would also fit the bill applying my "sound" and "color" filters.

Better play all those games you're thinking about in person. Maybe at a local collectors place or someplace like phof in nv, or wiz in nh. I wouldn't order anything off the net based on videos. You might end up with big surprise. Pinball is a physical experience. It always looks better in videos. Rather spend $300 on a ticket than 4-5k on a questionable pin. Seriously play them in person. Move from one machine to the next and narrow it down to the top 3, top 2 etc and make your final pick.

#10 11 years ago

If you want something dark, TSPP is probably not the best way to go as that is probably one of the brightest games I own. As for sound, I hear some people complain about STTNG in that the theme music plays quite often, but as long as you're actually making shots, that's not really the case since most modes have their own unique music.

Again, I'm not hating on ToM as I love the theme and really like the chest toy. It's just when compared to other same priced (some even less) titles, there's just better options, ESPECIALLY in a small collection. And since you will be owning just one machine, you will get REALLY good at that pin. And, in the case of ToM, I think you'll find that it's lasting value is just not as deep as the others mentioned.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback (already). @LilRocky, one thing I forgot to mention that is really important to me: sound and music. I spend a lot of time viewing YouTube videos of gameplay, and I realize that sound and music is an entirely personal thing.

I'm with you on this and did the same thing you did, watching you-tube, listening to the play. Wanted a pin that would not annoy me with the music (or call-outs). I also wanted something visually appealing for me, a machine for adults machine if you will. (I got my kids R.F.M, and my T.A.F is multi-generational).

T.O.M really fit all the above needs nicely. It is visually stunning with LED"s added and THE machine I play with no room lights on. Voice and music is, well....... magical, at least to me.

I also find it interesting that the machine can play super fast with the loops and also mid to slow with all the 'tricks' the machine has up it's sleeve.

So, I'd say a really appropriate choice for your first pin. Good luck on tracking one down!

#12 11 years ago

ONLY pin....ya, right.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from cumulonimbus:

I'm with you on this and did the same thing you did, watching you-tube, listening to the play. Wanted a pin that would not annoy me with the music (or call-outs). I also wanted something visually appealing for me, a machine for adults machine if you will. (I got my kids R.F.M, and my T.A.F is multi-generational).
T.O.M really fit all the above needs nicely. It is visually stunning with LED"s added and THE machine I play with no room lights on. Voice and music is, well....... magical, at least to me.
I also find it interesting that the machine can play super fast with the loops and also mid to slow with all the 'tricks' the machine has up it's sleeve.
So, I'd say a really appropriate choice for your first pin. Good luck on tracking one down!

You nailed it exactly, although I did not write it so well. Thanks.

#14 11 years ago

The box art itself has to be some of the nicest non-licenced artwork done on a pin. Very mystical. This is the one pin I would not hesitate to put in my living room along with my wall art as something to simply enjoy visually when you are not playing the machine.

The lighting alone would adds tons of ambiance.

With that said, keep in mind it's going to be as big as a love seat.

Keep in touch with the forum as you make, and follow thru on any decision regarding your first pin.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Better play all those games you're thinking about in person. Maybe at a local collectors place or someplace like phof in nv, or wiz in nh. I wouldn't order anything off the net based on videos. You might end up with big surprise. Pinball is a physical experience. It always looks better in videos. Rather spend $300 on a ticket than 4-5k on a questionable pin. Seriously play them in person. Move from one machine to the next and narrow it down to the top 3, top 2 etc and make your final pick.

Tommi has a good point. Youtube is not a place for considering the condition of a game; nor is the Pinball Arcade. Pinball is meant to be played with a physical, 100% working machine right in front of you.

My recommendation is to take a drive from Hamilton and go to John's Place in Fairfax. They have at least 10 machines at time, and usually good ones like TS and MB.

Purcellville Pinball is also close to you, and Michael is a nice guy to work with. You may want to see what they have besides ToM (they have a Pinball Magic which is very similar to ToM in theme).

#16 11 years ago

I love TOM. It was around the 3rd pin I bought and the first dmd game. I have owned it for many years and still enjoy playing it very much. That said, I still agree with the others here when they suggest go getting some game time. Nothing can replace the actual experience and its a good way to see if a certain machine "clicks" for you. Good luck and welcome to Pinside.

#17 11 years ago

If I had to get rid of my small collection because I could only have 1 pin I'd get a ToM, hands down. Love that game. Can't find one under $4,500 yet

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

At ToM's price, there are many other, deeper games you can find that are around that price. I do think ToM is a fun game, but individually I really believe you'll tire of it quickly.

If I was just to have one pin in my collection around the 3-5k mark, I'd do LOTR or TSPP as they're fun and hell-a-deep.

This is a great assessment. I had ToM, do not miss it a bit. If the rules would be polished and a wizard mode added, I would have it back again. It was a fantastic pin, for about 6 months.

Everyone has their own tastes, that's why Pinball comes in so many flavors Look around and play as many as you can before you make a decision If you do get it, should be a easy re-sell if you tire of it.

I would recommend a few SS titles, like ES, FH, WW, F-14 and many more. Then, work up from there.

#19 11 years ago

I just got my TOM today and I love it. It is on the easier side and not as deep as some other pins in the price range (as others have pointed out), but it's a great pin with a lot of shots, fun ramps and the cab looks beautiful (which if you only end up getting one pin - yeah right - would be another plus). My advice is to play all the pins you can get your hands on and see what it is YOU like. We can all give you opinions, but it's ultimately up to you and your taste.
Good luck and have fun! You'll have more than one guaranteed!

#20 11 years ago

ToM is a fantastic pin and if you can swing it, I highly recommend it. I've had mine for 2 years and it's still a blast to play.

#21 11 years ago

ToM is tons of fun, insanely fast and has beautiful theming. It looks even better (in my opinion) brassed out!

shinytom-full.jpgshinytom-full.jpg

#22 11 years ago

I think it's best to cast a wide net and be willing to buy anything that sounds appealing and isn't overpriced. If you focus in on one title in particular, you may overpay or wait a LONG time. I still don't have my grail pin.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I think it's best to cast a wide net and be willing to buy anything that sounds appealing and isn't overpriced. If you focus in on one title in particular, you may overpay or wait a LONG time. I still don't have my grail pin.

Makes sense. I am focusing on building the list of "close seconds" that have similar attributes. TZ, POTC, and possibly RBION are in the mix.

#24 11 years ago

I want to be as deliberate as possible in choosing the pin, but my biggest problem is accessibility to pins, or lack thereof. There simply is no place for me to go try out the real machines in the DC metro area

You should take a trip to Baltimore, MD and go play the machines at the museum there. My wife and I went and had a blast. They had TOM, TZ, IJ, TAF and scores of others to play. For $20 or less, you can play a ton of great machines.

Check it out.
http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/

#25 11 years ago

That is a very nice TOM pzy. Looks great!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeremecium:

You should take a trip to Baltimore, MD and go play the machines at the museum there. My wife and I went and had a blast. They had TOM, TZ, IJ, TAF and scores of others to play. For $20 or less, you can play a ton of great machines.
Check it out.
http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/

Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression this was closed. I will definitely check this out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-maybe-only-pin-tom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.