3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Just another question of historical interest - does anyone know what the first machine was that incorporated the dummy zero. I know it was different for different companies - Gottlieb probably being last to use it. But what was the first machine?

#2 3 years ago

If you mean the phenomenon of a score-reel-like dummy zero, start with Williams Army Navy
    https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=91
    and read the notes. But that's from the era where bulbs behind the backglass dominated. In the early 1960s, all the pinball games used score reels and scored in single points. Then phony zeroes reappeared; Bally was a big proponent. There are a couple complicating factors in analyzing scoring styles of the sixties, though: add-a-ball games got phony zeroes ahead of their replay counterparts, and rifle games almost always had at least phony zero throughout this time range.
    .................David Marston

#3 3 years ago

Thanks Dave - yeah, I meant specifically the score reel dummy zero over in the "1"s column. I just worked on a Bally "4 Queens" this morning, from 1970 which had the dummy reel, and I think there was one Bally from the year before, 1969, that had it as well..."King Rex". That may have been the first Bally to have it - just wondered if Williams or Chicago Coin had one with that dummy zero before that.

Thanks for the link to Army-Navy. Is a "totalizer" just something they called a score reel back then?

#4 3 years ago

Williams "Army Navy" would be my guess as well. In the early fifties, they ran off about a half dozen games with score reels. They had only three active reels, and the rest of the digits were dummy zeroes.
    Oddly, Williams reverted back to a game with bulb scoring in the early sixties, called "Space Ship". By this time, score reels were standard equipment in all pinballs. I believe "Space Ship" was the last pinball with lamp scoring. I believe you may be correct about "King Rex".
    The domestic replay version "King Tut", had four digit scoring, with four active score reels.
    Bally "On Beam", which preceded it, has five digit scoring, using five active score reels. I can't think of another game which has this.
    "King Rex" was meant for export, and overseas operators were already hacking four digit games with a fifth dummy digit. Perhaps Bally caught on to this, and produced Rex with a factory installed dummy zero for the foreign market.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Is a "totalizer" just something they called a score reel back then?

Primarily in the time frame before backboxes. Games in the early 30s had no backboxes so many playfields had score reels/counters and these were called totalizers. On IPDB, do a Quick Search using the word "totalizer" (no quotes) to see them.

Also, do a quick search on "dummy" (again, no quotes) and you will find 1934 Autobank has two dummy zeroes in its playfield totalizer.

Quick Search is your friend.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks jr and IPDB - I love being able to tap into what folks know around here! I didn't realize those early games had score reels (totalizers). I'll look them up on IPDB and take a gander....thanks!

I thought it would be a clear line of demarcation between machines with a dummy score reel zero at the end and those with all active score reels, but it sounds like it's a little more complicated than that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-machine-with-dummy-zero?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.