• 43 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Buzz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello,
I am buying my first machine. I have a 7 year old and 4 year old so would be great to get a great machine that would be fun for them. If it were available today, I would get Big Lebowski. Now I am between Simpsons Pinball Party, Ghostbusters. Any thoughts between the two or other suggestions? Don't want to get anything with that might scare the 4 year old although Ghostbusters looks tame.

Thank you so much for the help!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Hello,
I am buying my first machine. I have a 7 year old and 4 year old so would be great to get a great machine that would be fun for them. If it were available today, I would get Big Lebowski. Now I am between Simpsons Pinball Party, Ghostbusters. Any thoughts between the two or other suggestions? Don't want to get anything with that might scare the 4 year old although Ghostbusters looks tame.
Thank you so much for the help!

Neither are going to scare your kids, but get what you want. Your kids will play the game for five minutes and move on to bigger and better...like tv.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Neither are going to scare your kids, but get what you want. Your kids will play the game for five minutes and move on to bigger and better...like tv.

I'll second that.

#4 1 year ago

I have had many machines....still have several, and if I was going to own only one and wanted a kid friendly game, Stern Star Trek would be on my short list.

Better choice then Simpsons or GB IMHO.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'll second that.

Great advice! Thanks.

#6 1 year ago

WOZ, MMr, AFMr, Aerosmith, WCS, RFM

Although my 6 year old daughter loves Metallica.

#7 1 year ago

Get Simpsons.

GB, if you leave it on for any amount of time, will sometimes let out a loud, blood-curdling scream when you hit one of the buttons. Might freak out the 4 year old.

Later,
EV

#8 1 year ago

And just curious, if I were to get Simpsons, I see it online on Pinball Company for $7k. I also see people selling the machine on eBay for much more. What am I missing? Sorry for being clueless. I will also look into those other machines. WOZ seems very solid too.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Yep

#10 1 year ago

Do what was mentioned above, get what you will play first. I broke down and bought my 3 year granddaughter a hot shots pinball to call her own. She loves to play it and it's so simple that she has a good idea how to play with little effort. Now I have 2 granddaughters and they know that its there pin.
This pin is super cheap and all the art work is kid friendly. You collection is going to grow, might as well get them something if money and space will allow. There are a few pins out there that young kids really grab into. Good luck and enjoy.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

And just curious, if I were to get Simpsons, I see it online on Pinball Company for $7k. I also see people selling the machine on eBay for much more. What am I missing? Sorry for being clueless. I will also look into those other machines. WOZ seems very solid too.

Those are retail prices. I personally would not pay over $5k for a Simpson's. There are 2 for sale right now on pinside for less than 5k

#12 1 year ago

My daughter begged me to get WCS. I did. She plays it like once a month. I bought it cause I loved the game too so it will never leave, but my advice is: keep the kids in mind, but don't completely base your decision on them. Get what you are going to love, and what they are going to like.

#13 1 year ago

Great advice. As I said, I would have TBL in my house yesterday even with a 7 yr old and 4 yr old. I know that subject is for another forum. Going to do some heavy research!

#14 1 year ago

Do not buy a pin from either EBay or from The Pinball Company both are very overpriced. Simpsons can be found easily for under 5k. Look on here for one!

#15 1 year ago

I have 4 kids under 10. My purchases aren't based on what I think they would play as they generally have no preference on themes or layouts at the moment. That being said, we always tell them "look what mom and dad got y'all." We have them play the first games and allow them to play as often as they want to. It goes in cycles, but allowing them to have a "claim" on the pin makes them feel included and keeps them going back for more.

#16 1 year ago

I totally agree on getting what you want. I tried to only get family friendly pins but ended up getting a MET pro. Not exactly family friendly but I really liked the game. My kids are a bit older and don't even play my pins anymore. My boys may play a little if I get a new pin or they have friends over. Even when I have other kids over, they don't play long.

#17 1 year ago

I think Ghostbusters is too difficult and has too many cheap drains to be a good choice for kids or casual players.

If you really want to factor in the kids I recomend #1 Shrek, #2 Pirates, or #3 Spider Man.

And definitely ask us about the actual value before you pull the trigger to make sure you aren't getting taken. Too many sellers mark up their pins thousands over value hoping for a newbie or rich dummy to come along.

#18 1 year ago

My kids (7,11) favorite game thus far has been The Hobbit. It's easy to get multiballs, looks great, they know the story, and at the same time has enough depth for "better" players. My 7 year old understands the game better than I do I think.

#19 1 year ago

I have a 4, 6, and 8 year old. They all say "We love pinball" .... And they never play for more than a few minutes at a time. Get what you want first as others say, but probably not The Walking Dead. They are all freaked out by that one... lol.

#20 1 year ago

As said already buy something you like funny how all of our kids seem to be the same. Mine play their hand helds more than anything. I just look at them and think I wish this was my childhood how are you not playing. Oh forgot pinball is my second childhood. I also as painful as it is based on the competition between my wife and me reset the scores and have them set low so everyone has a chance to put their name on. As for games if you are going new ST premium is great with the lighting, easy to shoot with great flow, and easy to understand what to shoot for.

#21 1 year ago

Ghostbusters would be about the worst machine possible for kids.i consider myself an above average player and it's to hard for me.i prefer to play my pinball and not just watch the ball drain.

#22 1 year ago

GB makes grown men cry. Definitely not the game to start a pinball love affair with.

#23 1 year ago

In my experience every kid likes different ones. Firepower is my youngests fav, T2 my oldest likes the best. The middle one chooses Whirlwind. 3 diff kids spanning early SS to DMD. Most important is finding ones yr better half likes if you wanna keep bringing them in

#24 1 year ago

A few years ago I was looking to get my first machine. I was a total noob and got taken advantage of by a company, it wasn't the pinball company but another one just like it. I think those companies jack up their prices and new people to the hobby get burned. I way overpaid on that first pin. Buy one from another pinsider or check craigslist but be careful on that too.

My vote is WOZ, Hobbit, Stern Star Trek and MET. Right now we only have a MET Pro and my kids enjoy it. Kids don't play the machines though as much as you'd think.

#25 1 year ago

I recently got an EBDLE and my 5 year old daughter wants to play split flipper with me whenever she sees me playing. If you're set on a modern dmd, set the ball save pretty high.

#26 1 year ago

One more question: are there any hotly anticipated games just released or about to be released that have great reviews or are expected to be great? Or is that dangerous. Should one wait a year or so for kinks to be worked out, etc. Sorry if covered in another forum.

#27 1 year ago

Try a few out, I just know my son kicks my butt in GB and loves it.
Works through modes and even handles reverse flippers better than me.
Drains his last ball and then back to Zelda.

Multitasking little snot.

#28 1 year ago

My kids (9 and 12) and I love our Ghostbusters premium, but it does require some tweaks to get it playing a bit easier. If you move in the outlane posts, put on the slightly longer "carrot" flippers, switch out the hex spacer under the right ramp for a shorter one, and tweak the menu settings, it plays much more fair/fun for a new or mediocre player.

None of this stuff is difficult, but it takes some time and effort and a willingness to tinker. Also, you can turn the random scream off in the settings.

#29 1 year ago

+1 on what in the hell is up with those 14,000 and 15,000 tspp's on eBay!? Hoping for a sucked? Like 25 people are watching each. Maybe I'll post mine up and pocket 10 grand if it's that easy.

#30 1 year ago

Buy local, and pay up for a service agreement

#31 1 year ago

Ehh, get The Walking Dead.

Welcome to the real world kiddos.

#32 1 year ago

Walking dead would be great. Actually, I think I have my sights on TBL. Seems like it is difficult to get. Any advice on where I should put down a deposit that is refundable if they decide not to make any more?

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Any advice on where I should put down a deposit that is refundable if they decide not to make any more?

Keep the money in your bank account on that one.

#34 1 year ago

Yeah, too much unrest there. Shame too, it's a heck of a game.

#35 1 year ago

Why not Attack from Mars remake? It should be low maintenance and easy for the kids to play a little.

#36 1 year ago

I have no real connection to Attack from Mars. For me, I would like something which which I would have an association. Simpsons, TBL, Game of Thrones, etc.
So the consensus is that even if I waited for a year or two, TBL just won't come to fruition. I am patient. I waited 4 yrs, 3 months for my Tesla.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I have no real connection to Attack from Mars. For me, I would like something which which I would have an association. Simpsons, TBL, Game of Thrones, etc.
So the consensus is that even if I waited for a year or two, TBL just won't come to fruition. I am patient. I waited 4 yrs, 3 months for my Tesla.

Wait until TBL is in stock and ready to ship. Then buy. No telling when or if that happens.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

How about Stern Spiderman? Kids have fun playing that game as well.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

I don't think there is a consensus on how the TBL project will shake out. It is behind schedule, and due to the lack of cash influx there are questions as to whether Dutch Pinball can successfully transition to a new contract manufacturer and finance additional production, which is what they are attempting now. That's the situation in a nutshell.

You could always try to buy an existing one used, if you are committing to wanting one. For a first pin, I personally would not go with anything boutique at all (I'd prefer something that would be easy to source parts on in case of repair).

From your original post, I personally prefer Ghostbusters. Given what you've outlined, however, I think Simpsons is the better option.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I don't think there is a consensus on how the TBL project will shake out. It is behind schedule, and due to the lack of cash influx there are questions as to whether Dutch Pinball can successfully transition to a new contract manufacturer and finance additional production, which is what they are attempting now. That's the situation in a nutshell.
You could always try to buy an existing one used, if you are committing to wanting one. For a first pin, I personally would not go with anything boutique at all (I'd prefer something that would be easy to source parts on in case of repair).
From your original post, I personally prefer Ghostbusters. Given what you've outlined, however, I think Simpsons is the better option.

Ghostbusters is not going to be fun for young kids. They would drain right away. I don't think TBL is much of a theme or game for kids either. Simpsons is too complicated with an overwhelming playfield design for a novice player.

Games like SM, Star Trek, LOTR and IM that have either longer ball times or open layouts are much more likely to get a kid's attention.

#41 1 year ago

Good points. I will check out those 4. TBL is totally not for kids and I recognize that. Thanks for advice. Won't consider putting down deposit until they are being delivered. What a great concept though!

#42 1 year ago

You're coming to the right place for advice. Definitely buy from someone here for thousands less except if you're getting new in box.

#43 1 year ago

ST has great flow it's easy to follow and the lights are great. It also gives a person with skill enough to try to achieve.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Plastics
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kirkland, WA
$ 279.95
$ 199.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, MI
$ 199.99
$ 279.95
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burrillville, RI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside