View topic image gallery

5505C59D-6AE2-4BAC-96B6-6A3814A8CC06 (resized).jpeg
8D22FCD2-6BD5-4D8A-BE74-3AF45F5E633F (resized).jpeg
JNZB3660[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_7405[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_7418[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_7417[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_7416[1] (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanMarino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the hobby and my son and I picked up a Flight 2000 last week. The machine is a work in progress and is currently having some problems.
Is there anyone in the Baltimore/Washington Area who can assist me in diagnosing and making the repairs? I appreciate that WonderMellon from on here was kind enough to stop by last night and take a look. More technical assistance is needed though.

Symptoms.

1. When the machine is turned on, the MPU will go through the beeping cycle. Last night it had lots of problems getting up and running. It would get to the point where we would start a game, but then it would shut down and start the reboot all over again.

2. When we get the game up and running, it will eventually quit on us in the middle of the game and start the reboot process all over again.

3. WonderMellon (Mike) got out his multi-meter and was checking some voltages on the MPU board. Some test points on the MPU board had a steady 4.8 volts throughout the entire rebooting process. The green LED light was not steady and seemed to fluctuate. Mike tested the voltage at the LED light and it was fluctuating up to around 8 volts, but then would drop below 4.8 volts, and then go back up.

4. The power rectifier board in the base cabinet has been hacked. The connectors look good, with no visible burn marks. Looks like the square rectifier things or heat sinks, or whatever they are, have been moved off the board and have wires going back to it.

Questions.

What sort of troubleshooting tests should be my next step?

If I need a replacement power rectifier board, is there one that I can buy that is ready to plug into the connectors?

If soldering work is needed, how difficult of a job is it?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'll be digging around the Flight 2000 Club thread for people that have had similar issues.

IMG_7405[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7405[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7416[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7416[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7417[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7417[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7418[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7418[1] (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

New problem today.
I booted it up and it came on pretty quickly once it ejected all the balls from the ball locker and into the trough.

However, no score display lights at all today. All of them are dead.

JNZB3660[1] (resized).JPGJNZB3660[1] (resized).JPG
#3 3 years ago

I found a loose ground wire from the power rectifier board going over to the transformer. I tightened that up and the display lights are working now.
I think the first step will be install a new 20 pin connector and see if that addresses the problem.

#5 3 years ago

Here is what the back side of my power rectifier board looks like.
I think a new one would be a good idea.

8D22FCD2-6BD5-4D8A-BE74-3AF45F5E633F (resized).jpeg8D22FCD2-6BD5-4D8A-BE74-3AF45F5E633F (resized).jpeg
#9 3 years ago

Thanks! I ordered the replacement board this morning.

Looks like the kit comes with new connectors!

#11 3 years ago

Installed a new power rectifier board and re-crimped about 3/4ths of the J3 / 20 pin connector. Game is fixed!

Now on to getting all the lights working, strengthening the flippers, getting a pop bumper working better, and new rubbers and pinballs.

Love the game and all the helpful information on pinside!

5505C59D-6AE2-4BAC-96B6-6A3814A8CC06 (resized).jpeg5505C59D-6AE2-4BAC-96B6-6A3814A8CC06 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago

Thanks! That chart was very helpful during my soldering for the new power rectifier board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanMarino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-machine-flight-2000-rebooting-problems?tu=DanMarino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.