scary1.gif
good_alien_space_ship_cartoon.gif
Excellent.jpg
DSC00972_-_Copy.JPG
FlashGordonScapinoV3_0_4x3[1].jpg
gb3.jpg
gb2.jpg
gb1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 12 years ago

certainly a flash gorden

FlashGordonScapinoV3_0_4x3[1].jpgFlashGordonScapinoV3_0_4x3[1].jpg

I'm normally against re-themes (killing off an original), but with 10,000 made, and the playfield being notorious for wear and bad paint, I can't say I'm too sad to see it put to good use. I'm dying to know if you managed to finagle a way to change the sounds through a separate board? Also how the heck did you keep this a secret for an entire year?

1 month later
#107 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I used two mp3 microcontrollers working in tandem which are fed into a mixer

I'm going to guess you used this:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10628

If so, that makes it pretty straight forward for sounds (switches are hit, press a button on the board to play a sound). I'm curious how you handle the music. Seems like it changes music for each ball, then also changes when the game is over. How do you tell it which ball your on?

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The microcontroller can have a set output, a sequential output, or even a random output.

Ahh.. So if you have a set number of balls (3), you could always have the same sequence (as long as your on a pin that doesn't have ball save for non-score). Since this is a re-themed early solid state, it wouldn't have that.

Makes me want to find a working pin with a trashed playfield now

4 weeks later
#141 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Many have cautioned me against attempting to do so for copyright reasons

better to be safe. In fact, I wouldn't recommend ever selling the one for copywright reasons.

1 month later
#177 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I was quoted $4000 to license a certain, most beloved horror movie title

Wow, really that cheap? I assume licensing varies depending on application, but yea.. I mean, it makes sense why stern does licenses, that's a drop in the bucket. Of course it also has to be a hassle to get things approved rather than having total creative freedom.

2 months later
#198 11 years ago

two things:
1. I found a source that could print that translite at half cost (not that $50 is a lot). Plus if they've dealt with translites before, they might have better knowledge about transparancies, half-tone shading, and back mask
2. You mention that the MP3 trigger can handle playing random sounds (rather than specified ones). I've been reading up the user manual, and I assumed that meant that if you have 18 channels, then you have one trigger but 18 random sounds. Does that actually mean you can have 18 channels, and you can multiple random sounds to each channel? I thought you had to run an arduino with some code to do that, or are you using arduino?

4 months later
#220 11 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Anyone else looking to do a retheme (not this one). Playfield overlay & masking mailed to USA $200 US & I can print custom backglass $250 US shipped to USA

I don't want to offend, but this seems high? I've gotten quotes for vinyl printing for less than $60, and translite (backlit printing) for less than $40 (I can get my own glass). I only know because I actually do have a re-theme project and looked into it.

#228 11 years ago

I've been playing with mine for a few days. I've got a power plug, headers soldered in. I'm gonna try to do a video tomorrow morning and post a very rough demo so others can see how easy it is. I think once you see it in action, it'll make a lot more sense. I'm really surprised there are nearly no youtube videos on this subject.

I've yet messed with programming it through the serial port yet so I can do random banks of sounds

#230 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

I've got the switches triggering the assigned sounds and the songs are seamlessly looped

do you have version 1 or 2? Mine was set by default to play once. Does yours have the little test knob on top (press down to start, press again to stop, click right to go up a track, click left to go back a track)?

#236 11 years ago

Didn't get around to doing a video this morning, will try tonight.

I think there needs to be a sticky thread (like Vid does) that lays this out, I think more people would be apt to try it if they saw a good demo video.

Hunted around last night, apparently the cable you need to hook up with USB is called an FTDI cable:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718

I believe these can be had for cheaper, that's just one example. Only reason you'd need the usb cable is if you want to update the firmware on the chip (new code). It's possible chichlid has an old firmware that has looping on by default.

I bought connectors to make my own cables, not realizing that .100" pitch is the standard header on most PC's, so probably easier to buy these cables pre-made (if you've ever built your own computer, it's like the thin wires you hook up for power switch, reset switch, HDD light, etc).

For power I'm using a 5v wall plug from a D-link router ($6 on amazon). I intend on simply plugging it into the extra outlet nside the cabinet. What's nice is this board will handle 4.5-12V input making it quite flexible. I don't recommend hacking a usb cable to give you 5V since it draws 650mah (I got a new error message that says my usb is exceeding power limits). I could have blown my computer's usb chip by being impatiently stupid

The mp3 .INI file (search around, there are example files you can copy into a text editor) goes onto the micro SD card for instructions (like volume control, random tracks, etc). Only way for you to access 512 banks of sounds with full control is through arduino (not ready to go down that path just yet, but nice that it supports it, and arduino kit is less than $30).

It's amazing the old one only had 7 channels, now we get 18 for the same price.

#240 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

You can also put the file "MP3TRIGR.HEX" in the root of the SD card and when you boot up, it will automatically update the firmware without a computer or cable.

that's good to know! I need to update my firmware to the latest then.

*edit* Ok, I get it now, I see the looping audio. If you wire it up to switches with power off, works just fine. Turn on the power, looping audio. I guess this makes sense since there's live voltage of between 2-4V through ground, and this device is triggered by 3.3-5V. I'm racking my brain how to isolate each switch from this powerline?

#241 11 years ago

Trying to bump this thread. Measured the voltage coming out of the trigger inputs, sure enough 3.3v, no wonder why it's getting triggered over and over. I spose if I have 4v on the line, and I use the right value resistor to drop it to 2v, this should solve it? But then is it going to jump back to 4v when the switch is activated?

#248 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Where are you getting these voltages?

From the installed card in the game, or just on your workbench?

I'm getting that voltage from the lines running on the switches while it's in attract mode or playing a game. Didn't get a chance this weekend to see if the voltage changes when the switch is activated (which it would have to in order to detect a switch is pressed), or see if any of my other pins have this same issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,995 (OBO)
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-look-ghostbusters-custom?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.