Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 253 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Aflacjack
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DB113FA9-1544-4AAD-BE6A-5CA605D2F4E4 (resized).jpeg
    F146F3BB-0302-42F1-84F6-B11F122E2A6A (resized).jpeg
    Queen (resized).jpg
    Queen (resized).png
    C88990C9-582C-4205-9215-3EE02AB557A1 (resized).jpeg
    C12B38AA-4230-47A7-AA45-9F2BF74F9B82 (resized).jpeg
    D22E4E9B-C5C5-4DED-8B51-7EBB6BF36346 (resized).jpeg
    7CCEDFDA-66C9-489F-A747-B2BDDBB9B3D3 (resized).jpeg
    DN_HPH1X4AM9nUW (resized).jpeg
    79AA83B9-23EC-4010-889A-018B529A14FF (resized).jpeg
    2706486F-6F67-4CA2-AC4F-6B741658C5CE (resized).jpeg
    B6141BDD-01E5-41DA-AB36-7832B67D7FB8 (resized).png
    SS20_Mens_Tops_Callouts_03_720x (resized).jpg
    96F4F036-C24F-4B95-BC4F-3DD97BC080C1.gif
    F3C521CE-B4BE-416D-A7B8-E7CD63882C6A (resized).jpeg
    20200621_203046 (resized).jpg

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 2 years ago

Also I have a lot of issues the backbox. I don't like how the lock is in the translite or the speaker cutouts.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Also the band members on backglass and the limited views of them on PF show them wearing the same exact clothing they wore during live aid show. Hairstyle etc are from that era as well. I’m guessing there must be a big Wembley live aid tie in to the game, this was the show that really catapulted their career world wide.

Queen was legendary and very successful long before LiveAid.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

As everyone knows, there is no faster way to make money than to design and build pinballs.

I've been wondering if 2022 is going to be overflowing with new/small manufacturers trying to cash in on recent price hikes and surge in demand.

#54 2 years ago

this is not related specifically to Queen Pinball, per se, but I can't stand the name of the company. "Pinball Brothers" sounds like a Vaudeville variety show act.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

this is not related specifically to Queen Pinball, per se, but I can't stand the name of the company. "Pinball Brothers" sounds like a Vaudeville variety show act.

Deep Root..Haggis...Pinball Brothers....

Basically...What the fuck people? Is this the best we can do?

I mean, American Pinball is a little bland, but geeze, it at least it doesn't induce cringing or painful brow-furrowing.

#56 2 years ago

I feel like they just really, really wanted to make that stylized PB icon happen (even though the P is backwards), but there's gotta be a catchier B-word. Pinball Brouhaha?pb (resized).pngpb (resized).png

Quoted from bigehrl:

"Pinball Brothers" sounds like a Vaudeville variety show act.

I kinda want to see this act now, though...

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

The piano key drops are cool.
    I have the rando drop blocking a shot on my Monopoly, holy jumpin' that ball goes fucking airborne when I hit that cop drop. I would hate to see if its the same here...

was cool 25 years ago when Data East did it for GNR.

#58 2 years ago

upper playfield is poor-mans Big Lebowski and without the moving car toy.

#59 2 years ago

I typically don’t say anything bad about a pin that anyone puts any level of effort into, but this looks slapdash.

#60 2 years ago

will head over and take a look but from the photos already it looks like a turd.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Queen was legendary and very successful long before LiveAid.

Didn’t say they weren’t but even Freddie, Roger, John and Brian have said many times that after that show in 85 it changed things for them in a positive way. Who knew a 18 minute set would end up being their greatest live performance, they stole the entire show.

#62 2 years ago

brutal just brutal ....
    if manufacturers had to go through Pinside for approvals , there would never be an other pinball machine built!
    this game does not look like its being produced just done as a promotional piece ... bet it has crappy code!

#63 2 years ago

2 game releases in same week, well done Pinball Brothers

#64 2 years ago

Is this even legit? I don’t see any PB logos or anything attaching this to Pinball Brothers. Unless I missed something, this just appears to be a home brew. What store is this? Maybe call them and ask who dropped off this pin?

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Is this even legit? I don’t see any PB logos or anything attaching this to Pinball Brothers. Unless I missed something, this just appears to be a home brew. What store is this? Maybe call them and ask who dropped off this pin?

There's a Pinball Brothers logo on it.

pb-logo (resized).pngpb-logo (resized).png
    #66 2 years ago

Bizarre. Is this how you launch a pinball game and then have nothing on your website or official announcement. “Hell with it, let some random people find it and launch it themselves”.

#67 2 years ago

Bizarre. Is this how you launch a pinball game and then have nothing on your website or official announcement. “Hell with it, let some random people find it and launch it themselves”.

Because it's not a launch? It's probably a sample game that was put into the store and was erroneously shown.

Of course that said, Pinball Brothers have had terrible marketing skills so far.

And they likely can't say much about it because their promotional materials are likely still embargoed/unapproved, if Pinball Brothers was even ready to start showing it off and taking orders.

#68 2 years ago

Any video of it? You have one of the most iconic band licenses ever. And you also have one of worst reveals ever, worst most simplistic artwork that makes Led Zeppelin look like a work of art, zero official announcement or press release.

Home brew look again for one of the top music pins ever that could be made into a game. A lot of bad first here. Looks like the band designed this, well I hope they did for pinball brothers sake. Man this looks bad. Hopefully it has a killer light show lol.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Because it's not a launch? It's probably a sample game that was put into the store and was erroneously shown.
    Of course that said, Pinball Brothers have had terrible marketing skills so far.
    And they likely can't say much about it because their promotional materials are likely still embargoed/unapproved, if Pinball Brothers was even ready to start showing it off and taking orders.

Can you imagine if Stern did this? Somebody would get fired. How do you accidentally drop off a pin in a Queen store you haven’t announced yet? “Hey I was visiting a toy store at the mall and Stern had Back To The Future pinball sitting in there, not strange at all”

#70 2 years ago

Like has been mentioned. This is NOT a reveal. This was a promotion for the store, which happened to have it in it and pictures got taken of it. I do not think PB had anything to do with this reveal, and it is more of a 'woops' leak. Chances are this is just an early proto. That being said, i bet the artwork, is what the artwork is...

#71 2 years ago

look forward to seeing some dedicated photos / footage of the game

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

This is NOT a reveal. This was a promotion for the store, which happened to have it in it and pictures got taken of it. I do not think PB had anything to do with this reveal, and it is more of a 'woops' leak. Chances are this is just an early proto. That being said, i bet the artwork, is what the artwork is...

If this is the first time we are seeing it, isn’t that a reveal?

A65FCB33-7B94-4A8C-A921-A0B7C18501C6 (resized).jpegA65FCB33-7B94-4A8C-A921-A0B7C18501C6 (resized).jpeg
    #73 2 years ago

If this is the first time we are seeing it, isn’t that a reveal?[quoted image]

Do you not understand the difference between a leak and a reveal? These pictures came from articles about the Queen pop up store. The store just so happened to have the machine in there. PB didn't reveal this. Journalists did - probably with the okay from whoever owns the store. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not...who knows...but I don't think PB had anything to do with it (other than apparently working on the machine)

And further...given how bad the reveals have been by PB in the past...I don't imagine it would be much better than this lol.

#74 2 years ago

Good God that Art Package is horrible.

If I have to hear Queen in any setting, I am leaving. I like pinball. But not enough to stomach hearing Queen.

#75 2 years ago

Can you imagine if Stern did this? Somebody would get fired. How do you accidentally drop off a pin in a Queen store you haven’t announced yet? “Hey I was visiting a toy store at the mall and Stern had Back To The Future pinball sitting in there, not strange at all”

I doubt anyone would get fired if it was someone else's mistake.

Or maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe Pinball Brothers missed their own schedule to announce the game, but they had to deliver the one to the store because it's a pop up store with a firm opening and closing date. In fact an article on the store says the pinball is set be revealed in November

It is what it is. It's a small boutique company that has much bigger concerns, like getting stuff built.

Some games leak in advance, like Stranger Things, Hot Wheels, Munsters, and Deadpool. I don't think the leaks made any serious difference when they were officially showed off.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Do you not understand the difference between a leak and a reveal? These pictures came from articles about the Queen pop up store. The store just so happened to have the machine in there. PB didn't reveal this. Journalists did - probably with the okay from whoever owns the store. Maybe it was intentional, maybe not...who knows...but I don't think PB had anything to do with it (other than apparently working on the machine)
    And further...given how bad the reveals have been by PB in the past...I don't imagine it would be much better than this lol.

Again this is a reveal regardless how it is done, do you not understand that? This is our first impression and it is not a good one. PB should have been ahead of this, instead we get some random person posting pics because they went inside to see the Queen store. They new damn well this was going to happen. Stop being a fanboy apologist.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I doubt anyone would get fired if it was someone else's mistake.
    Or maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe Pinball Brothers missed their own schedule to announce the game, but they had to deliver the one to the store because it's a pop up store with a firm opening and closing date.
    It is what it is. It's a small boutique company that has much bigger concerns, like getting stuff built.
    Some games leak in advance, like Stranger Things, Hot Wheels, Munsters, and Deadpool. I don't think the leaks made any serious difference when they were officially showed off.

“Hey guys, I accidentally made a mistake and loaded up a 300 pound pinball machine, the one we haven’t released yet, and while driving around with it just happened to run across a Queen store. It just made perfect sense to drop it off there”. Now if you tell me these 2 guys are The Pinball Brothers, we’ll it all makes sense now

B348DB6E-35F7-4E12-A186-1206B71216E5 (resized).jpegB348DB6E-35F7-4E12-A186-1206B71216E5 (resized).jpeg
    #78 2 years ago

It's just a pinball machine guys...

It's not like you guys would react better if they did have a slick trailer for it. The art would still be shit and they'd still have poor attention to details like the backbox lock being in the middle of the translite.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Again this is a reveal regardless how it is done, do you not understand that? This is our first impression and it is not a good one. PB should have been ahead of this, instead we get some random person posting pics because they went inside to see the Queen store. They new damn well this was going to happen. Stop being a fanboy apologist.

fanboy apologist? Get off your drugs. It's called common sense. I don't disagree, someone probably fucked up, but get a grasp of the human language.

#80 2 years ago

I’m curious (especially after all the Zombie Yeti Godzilla comments); after hearing about how “terrible” the art package is, who would’ve preferred the Brian Allen/Flyland Designs rejected art package? For those that don’t know, he submitted this art for this machine and was supposedly rejected by the band.

53470A1C-2737-414B-ADF9-9E1F7930DF70 (resized).jpeg53470A1C-2737-414B-ADF9-9E1F7930DF70 (resized).jpegD58697E0-EA0B-4E05-821C-10FB90A37A5E (resized).jpegD58697E0-EA0B-4E05-821C-10FB90A37A5E (resized).jpeg
    #81 2 years ago

I am surprised but thankful they did not just reskin alien ala spooky ultraman/halloween. in place of xeno would be freddy mercurys head , although firing balls into the head would be inappropriate?

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjj:

I am surprised but thankful they did not just reskin alien ala spooky ultraman/halloween. in place of xeno would be freddy mercurys head , although firing balls into the head would be inappropriate?

Well, since this is apparently around (and even looks to have some code) now...HWY probably already had the pf designed? We know so little about how PB works, so hard to know for sure...

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well, since this is apparently around (and even looks to have some code) now...HWY probably already had the pf designed? We know so little about how PB works, so hard to know for sure...

Barry Oursler designed for Heighway years ago. PB got it along with alien when that all fell apart

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

footage of the game

Post 20 has some.

LTG : )

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

I’m curious (especially after all the Zombie Yeti Godzilla comments); after hearing about how “terrible” the art package is, who would’ve preferred the Brian Allen/Flyland Designs rejected art package? For those that don’t know, he submitted this art for this machine and was supposedly rejected by the band.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

This art is also absolutely terrible. It does not reflect the work of someone who has any type of affection toward the band.

The stern zep method of just slapping some album cover art all over the game is far superior to either of these monstrosities.

#86 2 years ago

Phew. So aside from the inserts, about 85 percent or so of the 'final' layout has made it into the final game. Most of the shots look identical. Here's as much as I'm able to comment on from those photos, and as much as I'll say before the eventual release.

- Most of that was completed in CAD well before GnR, and I know because the 'final' layout that's based on is mine. The playfield went through a turbulent history and something like four revisions: my original concept based on albums and the band's history, which was rejected in favour of the live tours; Barry's widebody design with the early playfield ideas, most of which have still made it in (and which you can see Future Pinball footage of earlier in the thread); my tidied-up and streamlined revision of that widebody design, keeping all the ideas; and the eventual standard body you see there, again keeping the ideas but otherwise pretty much done again from the ground up, as simply removing a shot or two and making the wide into a standard would have made it way too much like we'd just copied a John Borg game, and that's what I in particular didn't want. (You'll notice the pops are on the top left, whereas Borg, when he uses top lanes, has them on the right.)

- The Red Special upper playfield is exactly as I had it. Brian May's trademark guitar was ALWAYS going to be an upper playfield; it was Mark Ritchie who first suggested that. The 1985 Wembley Stadium lock area on the top left actually looks *bigger* than I had it, as I had the whole oval as part of the center ramp shot, and PB seems to have opted for a portion of it instead. If they have, then given the scale they've made the right decision.

- The piano on the left has four white drop targets with three black standups behind. That's one of my ideas.

- What's chiefly different is that standup shot on the far right. There were a couple of unfinished elements at the point where the work was handed in to be finished off, but everything I had up to then was modelled in 3D. I planned for the right-hand shot behind the third single drop to go into a scoop that would shoot the ball at the piano. The launch ramp was planned to use the scoop area as part of the skill shot. These elements have been changed, I'm guessing because Stranger Things recently did something similar.

- Keep in mind that's a prototype and everything to do with the visual design is going to be subject to change. You see 'subject to change' on every Stern flyer. All license management is going to be picky about what the client wants and in what art style, especially for classic IPs and bands. Lots of concepts have to be abandoned along the way. The big Union Jack you see earlier in the thread (I had a big array of progress and task inserts matched up to the flag, to be filled in like a tic-tac-toe board, getting three in a line) is one that had to go as the last few years has soured a lot of connotations that icon has now. So whatever the complete package ends up looking like, it'll be very different from what Heighway had in mind in 2018, or any involvement I ever had on that side of things.

- Since the inserts are changed up a lot, I have NO idea what the final rules are going to be. It's probably very different from the way I envisioned it.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

fanboy apologist? Get off your drugs. It's called common sense. I don't disagree, someone probably fucked up, but get a grasp of the human language.

Which you seem to lack. Stay healthy my friend and I will have what your having. Fanboy

#88 2 years ago

It’s horrible & of course they’d reject it. I love a good cartoony & stylized art package (Metallica)…but this art is awkward, lacks energy, they look demented, and it looks like the artist is making fun of them. Cartoony could work - but it has to have energy & power and a sense of appeal.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Which you seem to lack. Stay healthy my friend and I will have what your having. Fanboy

Just curious, do you go through the same set of emotions with every game you see? Have you reached the 'I got my pre-order' in phase yet or are you still stuck on the 'it's horrible' phase?

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

- There can be no way that art is fully finished and finalised

Let's hope it isn't.

#92 2 years ago

My wife wants this machine even since before we knew it was going to be a thing. She just asked what I’m going to sell to get this when it arrives to make room. I told her we just sold a piece of buffet furniture, she laughed, but I’m not joking

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Just curious, do you go through the same set of emotions with every game you see? Have you reached the 'I got my pre-order' in phase yet or are you still stuck on the 'it's horrible' phase?

I was not thrilled with Godzilla artwork nor am I with queen. These are two grail themes for me so I am going to be more critical. I was let down by zeppelin also. I am looking forward to Halloween and have a CE ordered. I am not a Halloween fan at all but the wife is and wanted it.

So I am unfortunately going to be more critical. I did not buy LZ and down the road get a Godzilla premium used possibly. When most people have an emotional attachment to an IP it’s difficult not to be overly critical, but I also do NOT set my expectations high.

I love Jurrasic park and the pin. Getting a premium next run. For me that pin was done right and checked off enough boxes for me to buy NIB. Same with AIQ, I am not a huge Marvel fan, but it’s an awesome game and I bought a pro.

Just with an IP I love and want, if it’s done poorly I will point it out and not convince myself I love it. I did art for a long time and I look at things differently I guess from a design viewpoint. This just looks bad from an artistic point of view.

For me Aerosmith art was a grand slam and LZ a cut and paste effort, but better than queen imo.

#94 2 years ago

Oof, glad to hear that was rejected.

#95 2 years ago

Except you are forgetting this is a queen game in the store setup by the Queen licensing people. This is not like they put out an unreleased harry potter game at Disneyland.

This is literally queen promotional stuff being put in the Queen store in collaboration with the people behind Queen merchandise.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Except you are forgetting this is a queen game in the store setup by the Queen licensing people. This is not like they put out an unreleased harry potter game at Disneyland.
    This is literally queen promotional stuff being put in the Queen store in collaboration with the people behind Queen merchandise.

Seems like the store did a lot of work with all the merchandise, ads, magazine features. But you don’t think it’s at all strange nothing from the company that made the pin?

#97 2 years ago

I’m waiting for high quality photos before I make judgement on art.

#98 2 years ago

Queen is one of my dream themes. The art on that makes me a sad panda. I hope it is just placeholder stuff. Looking forward to more info like song list, who was on rules, etc. but my first impressions are no bueno.

#99 2 years ago

Seems like the store did a lot of work with all the merchandise, ads, magazine features. But you don’t think it’s at all strange nothing from the company that made the pin?

It happens. Even with REAL pinball companies.

Remember when Stern just shit out WWE at the CES show and nobody saw it coming?

#100 2 years ago

Well, I guess this is why I’m not making pinball machines. So I’m guessing PB will just randomly announce it officially in the next 2 weeks or is this it? The good news is PB is saving a lot of money on not having a Marketing Department

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-look-at-pinball-brothers-new-queen-pinball-machine/page/2?hl=capn12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.