(Topic ID: 293999)

First HUO pin buying advice - NiB or System11?

By Microvolt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Damen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

676BBFFF-57E3-40A6-92C3-7A6F858FEF5C (resized).jpeg
    B0DA20C1-187E-4023-94AE-538475746C3E (resized).jpeg
    C9FA94CD-5004-4A22-94DA-EADD4754C926 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all,

Just about to turn 30 and decided it was time to use the birthday as an excuse to finally take the plunge and bring a pin to our basement playroom! Found out about the community, did a fair bit of reading and thought I would come to you for advice.

I am a long time casual player, but wouldn’t call me skilled by a long shot. Some of the games I enjoyed the most over the years have been LoTR for the theme and quest aspect, and Whitewater for the insanely fast action and sheer fun even though that game is brutal. My wife got into WoZ and PoTC.

As we live in Europe and somewhat remotely, our options seem limited.

I’m considering either buying a NiB pro (JP/AiQ/Mando/Deadpool/SW comic home available. HoE is out of budget) or going for a used model. Looks like the local market consists mostly of System 11s or EMs.

Found a couple of what I think are decent deals: WW for 4.3k $ and a Pinbot for 4.5k $. For reference, the price of a NiB pro is 7.7k $ including taxes around here…

We did not get a chance to play most recent LED pins and there’s hardly any available locally to try out. Looking for something that can appeal to the larger family and not get boring after a few months for us as (I hope) our skill level will improve over time.

Last thing to mention is that while I’m handy with crafting tools, I have absolutely no experience with any soldering or electronics tinkering. I must say that’s the main thing holding me back going for an older model at the moment. Worried something will break down after a couple of uses and I will either be at a loss and have to call one of the extremely few experts in the area to do some expensive work on it or try to fix it myself and screw something up in the process. Only for this to repeat a few months down the line. Am I exaggerating this concern?

Would greatly appreciate any advice and recommendations. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

System 11

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Microvolt:

As we live in Europe and somewhat remotely, our options seem limited.

How about parts availability or pinball tech help to give you some hands on help ? You might add that to your considering. Which would lean me to NIB.

Quoted from Microvolt:

I have absolutely no experience with any soldering or electronics

All things you can learn. YouTube is littered with short how to videos. Get some tools, wire, and solder. And practice. Everybody starts somewhere. You'll do fine.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

#heist and add different playfield modules when you want different games.

#5 2 years ago

Check out Amazon for a Learn to Solder electronics kit. It teaches you how to solder,and when you're finished you'll have a police siren (that's what my kit was that should work if you did it right.
    I'd also call a couple pinball techs,and see what their rates are before you buy anything.
    hth
    Ralph

#6 2 years ago

Buy a new or HUO game. You don’t want a 30-35 year old game you just want a plug
    And play.

This is supposed to be a self - present not a headache!

#7 2 years ago

I would buy whatever hou game in your range is close to you

#8 2 years ago

If you have the funds, a brand new game would be what I recommend. You could also buy a lightly used stern pro for around $5000

Edit: saw you live in Europe, so I’m not sure about prices where you’re located

#9 2 years ago

I personally like sys 11's, but I would suggest to a someone new to pinball get a modern (made in the last 10 years) game
    you will have fewer problems, and thus more fun

look out for stern games before they switched to the colored LCD screen,

#10 2 years ago

Thanks all for your valuable input! Looks like opinions are split and I’m still thorn.

Realized the local scene is not as barren as I thought. Found a collector not too far away from my area and got the chance to play a couple of recent Sterns as well as a couple of older ones.

-IM: wife won’t let skeletons go near our game room so ruled out, but chaining orbits was super fun
    -AiQ pro: good fun, lots of action but my skills need improvement... had a large number of sdtm from ramp right ramp when I would not use the third flip and side drains.
    -DP: Fewer shots compared to AiQ, but good fun!
    -SW pro: playfield felt rather barren in the middle

-SoF: wow, pure blast to play! Did not expect it at first glance, but we both enjoyed it.
    -Gameshow: my least favorite of the bunch

I would lean on the AiQ side for longevity, but the thought of getting two used machines for the price of a NiB really puts me on the fence.

Local SoF is 4k$. Fully converted to led and play board looks good, but cabinet front took a beating and is partially splintered. WW is another local-ish alternative and looks v nice but did not get to play it (pics attached). NiB stern retail for 7.7k.

Any thoughts on SoF vs. (and?) WW vs. AiQ?

Thanks,
    Microvolt

676BBFFF-57E3-40A6-92C3-7A6F858FEF5C (resized).jpeg676BBFFF-57E3-40A6-92C3-7A6F858FEF5C (resized).jpegB0DA20C1-187E-4023-94AE-538475746C3E (resized).jpegB0DA20C1-187E-4023-94AE-538475746C3E (resized).jpegC9FA94CD-5004-4A22-94DA-EADD4754C926 (resized).jpegC9FA94CD-5004-4A22-94DA-EADD4754C926 (resized).jpeg
    #11 2 years ago

WW all day if price is right.
    High replay -Classic

#12 2 years ago

WW all day. Value will appreciate over time as well.

#13 2 years ago

Whirlwind is awesome,I will never sell mine.
    I think it’s better than most of the so called top rated games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-huo-pin-buying-advice-nib-or-system11?hl=nplg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.