(Topic ID: 313978)

First game that used the end-of-ball bonus system?

By paulace

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by I_P_D_B
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which pin was the first to use the "collect bonus when the ball drains" bonus sytem? I'm thinking Gottlieb "Snow Queen" in 1970...but is that correct? Or does anyone know of a game that had it earlier? I see Williams "A-Go-Go" in 1966 has a bunch of bonus inserts on the pf, but it also has a roulette wheel, so maybe it just collects through that, not when the ball drains....I haven't played one.

#4 1 year ago

Reading the instruction card for Gigi on IPDB, it looks like it awards you points/replays at the end of the game, not at the end of each ball.

#6 1 year ago

Is Nippy a one-ball game? It doesn't have flippers, so one ball sure wouldn't be much fun, I'd think. But either way, yeah, it looks like it does have an end-of-ball bonus. Thanks @frenchmarky...didn't know about that one.

1 week later
    #12 1 year ago
    Quoted from I_P_D_B:

So, I sat down and wrote out everything I could think to say about it, hoping to clear it up not just for myself but for anyone else in the hobby or coming into the hobby, and this explanation became the IPDB Glossary definition of End-Of-Ball Bonus:
    https://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php#End-of-Ball_Bonus
    You may notice in that Glossary definition I pay homage to those of us who had once believed that Snow Queen and Snow Derby were the first, by mentioning they began a conspicuous run of games having BONUS LADDERS, but not to be confused with end-of-ball bonus.

Thanks for giving it that much thought...guess there's not a simple answer to the question.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Doesn't count if it's a fixed number of points. Only if the points awarded are earned by the player during the ball in play. To me, that defines "bonus".

I agree - doesn't feel much like a bonus if you have no control over it or haven't earned it.

#19 1 year ago

I realize this might be too subjective to add much to the conversation, but I think I might define "earning" an end-of-ball bonus as an emotional feeling that I get when I've scored points as my ball ends. For the most obvious example, in any of the bonus ladder systems, while I'm playing my ball, I can hear and see the bonus increasing as I make my shots (on purpose or by accident), and I feel excitement about the large bonus I've accumulated, and some anxiety about not wanting to lose it (tilt). There's some risk/reward involved with a good end-of-ball bonus system, I think. I haven't played machines that have a variable gobble-hole value, but I would think those would give me that same feeling, and I would certainly include those under the end-of-ball bonus definition.

Fixed gobble-hole machines - I do get to play a "Silver" & "Slick Chick" often - don't give me that same sense of accomplishment when I drain. In fact, in fixed value gobble-hole games, I am usually trying to avoid those gobble holes, though "Slick Chick's" gobble-hole will give me a special when lit. If I were paying for games, that would be more exciting.

SeaWolf's "Flip-a-Card" is an interesting example, since it randomizes your reward when you drain. Pinball's always a combination of luck and skill, so I don't have any problem feeling good about getting a randomly generated number of points - I'll take luck and feel good about it. And on his "Jumping Jack", I would feel like I'm earning those "bonus" points by knocking down the drops, whether accidentally or on purpose.

It's interesting to try to pin definitions like this down.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-game-that-used-the-end-of-ball-bonus-system?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.