(Topic ID: 231808)

First flipper to own? Help me decide, please!

By RedPlunger

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is the best pin for a first timer”

• Total Nuclear Annihilation 4 votes
    10%
  • Game of Thrones Premium 21 votes
    53%
  • Deadpool Pro 15 votes
    38%

(40 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Hello Pinside! First time poster but life long lover of the silver ball. The first pins that really stood out to me were Fire, Funhouse, Taxi, High Speed, Haunted House (The Toy is one of my favorite 80’s movies). As I’ve gotten older other pins like Addams Family, T2, Demolition Man, etc.. have taken many fun dollars from me. Anyway, at the end if Summer I played GoT premium at Dorkys in Tacoma. I absolutely loved this game and thought the Hound callouts were hilarious. My wife loves GoT so when I came back enthusiastically telling her about it, it wasn’t with the intention of a purchase. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I take my son to a birthday party at a great barcade in Loveland. Spent a good amount of time on Dr. Dude (good fun), Aerosmith (meh) and Walking Dead (not great). I then came upon Total Nuclear and was underwhelmed by the play field but the lights and sound drew me in. Then I hit start. That game blew my mind and kicked my ass but I kept playing. What a great machine and amazing idea of what pinball can be. Which is how I ended up lurking here. I also got to play Deadpool pro for a good 20 minutes and was really impressed with the the artwork, flow and overall theme of the game. Also, the video mode is kick ass and drew me more into the game.

So after doing some research, I believe I have a bug and want to purchase my first pin. So which one? As I’m not very handy, I’d really like to buy new but not a deal breaker. Here are my initial thoughts on the three I’m eyeing:

Total Nuclear- The sounds and music pumping out of this machine are stellar. I loved the intensity of the flow which really kept me on my toes and the pin really had that “one more game” factor. Price also seems fair for such a well constructed game and I like supporting a brand like Spooky. This is also the most family friendly. On the downside, while I like the art it’s the weakest of the three and I am concerned the game could get old after a while.

Game of Thrones premium- I love the theme to the game and being able to pick your house is a fun novelty. The Hound doing callouts is clever and didn’t annoy me at all. I think my wife would (she thinks pinball is ok) enjoy this one the most and could get into the habit. I also love all the toys and extras in the premium. However, it’s the most expensive of the bunch and resale factor does play a role for me there.

Deadpool Pro- The artwork on this is the best of the three. I actually like the premium art better but from what I’ve read the Pro is a great machine. It also makes it the cheapest of the three. I love the flow and targets of the game. Toys are also cool and that video screen is the best I’ve seen. Theme is super fun and rude. I mean, it’s Deadpool. However, probably the least family friendly which the wife won’t dig but our two boys will no doubt love.

I’ve also considered Attack on Mars or Iron Man as the boys would enjoy those themes immensely but I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the three above.

So what should I do or don’t do? Anything I’m missing or should know? Should I look at other pins? Give those awesome suggestions, Pinside. I’m looking forward to hearing them.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

I’m not very handy

If you decide to get GOT, you should not get a new one. They need lots of tweaks to get dialed in. Best to get it used so that the previous owner did all that for you.

Actually all three of the games you listed will need tweaking if you buy new. Just don’t assume everything will be perfect since it’s a new game. I know that sounds weird. Haha

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. No, it doesn’t sound weird considering shipping a machine with such intricate moving parts that could easily mess up the game. I’m definitely anticipating someone setting it up for me but figured buying new would be best. It definitely is not a deal breaker.

#4 5 years ago

Total Nuclear will get boring fast its a great game if you have a few. Game of Thrones and dead pool are great its just a matter of what you like better I have played both and think the game play in both are great and will be enjoyed for a long time.

#5 5 years ago

Metallica PRO? Fun game. Lots of shots with the ramps, drop targets, sparky bash toy, lots of multiballs. I know it isn't one of the three.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

As I’m not very handy, I’d really like to buy new

Even new, you may have to eventually do some work on it.

Learn all you can. Find a local collector to give you hands on help should you ever need it.

LTG : )

#7 5 years ago

I like Metallica but not enough to go that route. I’ve read that’s a great machine and would love to play it. if there was a Pink Floyd or a Wu tang pin

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Even new, you may have to eventually do some work on it.
Learn all you can. Find a local collector to give you hands on help should you ever need it.

Thank you! I plan on joining a league soon. I’m hoping to meet some cool people and pick their brains. I would love to learn even the most basic maintenance.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

I would love to learn even the most basic maintenance.

Check out vid1900's topics he's posted here on Pinside. There is gold in his posts.

Pinball News .com has a learn section. There is Pinwiki. And Youtube is littered with short how to videos.

#10 5 years ago

Out of your list I'd definitely go with Deadpool. Attack From Mars would also be a great choice. Haven't played Deadpool, but I'm guessing its nothing compared to the movie violence wise.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Haven't played Deadpool, but I'm guessing its nothing compared to the movie violence wise.

The comic book violence doesn’t bother me but I doubt the wife would be as accepting. She’s pretty particular about what tv/images they see but my oldest did just have a ninja party, so there’s that. How’s the burgh? I played many games I listed above at Seven Springs growing up.

#12 5 years ago

Between the options you have listed, I would go with Game of Thrones. I believe it is the deepest of the machines you listed and the most likely to be fun long term. I don't necessarily know if I'd go premium. The upper playfield on that machine is polarizing as it can block things from view. There is a Deadpool LE at my company office and the more I play it the less I like it. I wouldn't worry about the comic violence or kid friendliness of the machine. The violence is low key and is equivalent to Street Fighter 2 at worst. I believe the Art Package on Deadpool is one of the greatest ever created, so if you are looking for a piece of art/furniture/game I would go Deadpool. I would avoid Total Nuclear Annihilation if there is only one pinball machine in your house. I also wouldn't hesitate to go used on a newer Stern. There are some deals out there right now on Deadpool as the gameplay is pretty polarizing.

I personally prefer GOT over DP. If you like, you could have both for the price of one. Get yourself a lightly used GOT Pro (or premium). Keep it for 6 months or a year and play the snot out of it. After 6 months or a year, trade it plus/minus $500 for an equivalent Deadpool machine. Most of the fairly recent Sterns are roughly interchangeable in price on the used market.

Long story short... don't get TNA. Get GOT or DP then trade it for the other machine after 6 months or a year. Have fun!

#13 5 years ago

Thanks everyone. I guess I’ll hold off on TNA until it becomes a rabbit hole for me. What does everyone think of Iron Man compared to GoT and Deadpool?
Also, the only reason I was considering new was there doesn’t seem to be too much of a difference between new and used price wise. While saving $1000 or more is always a good thing, it didn’t seem like much of a savings from a new machine.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

Thanks everyone. I guess I’ll hold off on TNA until it becomes a rabbit hole for me. What does everyone think of Iron Man compared to GoT and Deadpool?
Also, the only reason I was considering new was there doesn’t seem to be too much of a difference between new and used price wise. While saving $1000 or more is always a good thing, it didn’t seem like much of a savings from a new machine.

Iron man is generally considered a good game by the community. They are all newer sterns and you probably won’t be disappointed with any of them. Which one is best for you is going to be personal preference.
As for buying new vs used, it’s a crapshoot. The benefits are; you can see/play the game and make sure it doesn’t have any issues before owning it, and the price will be at least a few hundred less. However, the time and cost associated with getting a game can sometimes add up to the difference. Plus opening a new game delivered to your door is a nice experience.
Finally, call a few distributors and ask for pricing. New Stern games don’t actually cost what the MSRP is. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Good Luck! If you run into problems just ask on pinside and I’m sure you’ll be able to get help.

#15 5 years ago

For pure fun & entertainment, my choice is Attack from Mars.

#16 5 years ago

Deadpool was my first pinball machine, and I don't regret it at all. It's fun to play, and the theme is perfect for my son and I.

That being said, Iron Man might be a good choice for you if you like getting your ass kicked. It's not as brutal as TNA, but it's fast and furious. Great game.

Attack from Mars is probably the most approachable of the pins you're looking at....meaning anyone could step up and flair away at that saucer and have a blast.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

I’ve also considered Attack on Mars or Iron Man as the boys would enjoy those themes immensely but I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to the three above.

I also think you should consider AFM in your final list. As pointed out above its a very approachable game and tons of fun. The recent price drop on the classic to $6k makes it a tremendous value.

#18 5 years ago

Another vote for AFM

#19 5 years ago

GOT is great also. I have owned both

#20 5 years ago

I would not write off TNA. TNA does not have a deep complex rule set and it can actually be "beaten" (by destroying the reactor for the 9th time the game stops and credits roll) while most games let you play indefinitely. That being said if you are destroying the reactor the 9th time you are probably one of the best players in your league. For the vast majority of players reaching reactor 9 is something you maybe come close (like getting close to destroying 7) to once or twice but fall short which keeps you coming back. If you eventually beat it then sure trade it in for something new or add more to the collection and keep it around for fun.
I guess what I am trying to say is that TNA can absolutely be a ton of fun for years.
I also enjoy the heck out of Deadpool and AFM for what its worth.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I also think you should consider AFM in your final list. As pointed out above its a very approachable game and tons of fun. The recent price drop on the classic to $6k makes it a tremendous value.

If you were going to consider AFM... I think that is another great option. It is/was my 2nd machine and is much more replayable than World Cup Soccer. It is a game that appeals to a newbie (destroying saucers is so much fun and so satisfying) with 3 plus achievable multiballs and a rule set that makes it difficult to "beat the game". I'm about 300 plays in and have yet to Rule The Universe (5 of 6 Jewels lit). It is the type of game where visiting family and friends could step up and play a few games with no difficulty, whereas explaining the rules of Deadpool or GOT could be more difficult. Don't get me wrong, anyone could step up and hammer away, but it's not obvious on Deadpool how to say... defeat Mystic or fight the T-Rex.

#22 5 years ago

GOT for my vote!

#23 5 years ago

Another vote for Deadpool here. It's good for casual players (they'll like the art, theme, sounds, and easy first multiball, and the game itself while not easy isn't brutal), but also good for regular players who want some challenges and will better understand more about the goals of the game. Is it the deepest, no, but it's also not shallow and they are adding more to the code (with the latest update last night and with more to come). My kids and their friends enjoy it, I really enjoy it, and thought my wife would like it too, but I think pinball is a lost cause on her (and my advice on that is that unless your wife is already into pinball it's likely she won't suddenly get into it, even if it's GOT, so buy a pin that's best for you and your kids).

#24 5 years ago

Do you entertain? Got isn't really a crowd pleaser due to the theme and the general rule complexity. That being said GoT is a top 5 pin for me. I would assume something from Chicago gaming would be a better fit. Deadpool seems like a good fit based on what you are looking for.

#25 5 years ago

I would buy and Attack From Mars Remake or a Walking Dead as my first pin if I had to do it all over again. If your plan is to only have one machine (which won’t last long) either one of those would be perfect. Tna is an amazing game, but would get old in a one game collection. I do love Game of Thrones, but I think there are better options at that price point. Deadpool is a great game. I don’t like the lock shot as it seems to be inconsistent on a couple different machines I have played. Buy an Afmr. You won’t be disappointed.

2 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

Hey guys, just wanted to update you on my quest. So I have ruled out TNA and GoT (until I add more ). I was trying to figure out how to change the poll and add Afmr but it won’t let me on my mobile. Anyway, I have pretty much decided between Deadpool and Attack from Mars. What do you think would be the better purchase?

#28 5 years ago

Attack from Mars, hands down. DP might be a decent game, but it'll never touch AFM. AFM is one of the most popular pins ever for good reason--it is one of the best games ever made. Perfect integration of gameplay, theme, sound. It's a masterpiece.

#29 5 years ago

DI. Favorite game in my collection by far. Approachable and challenging all in one. Never gets stale.

#30 5 years ago

I’m with the guy above. DIALED IN is a no brainer. It’s spectacular. It’s so satisfying, fun, and a perfect choice. Designed by the same guy that brought you The Addams Family and Funhouse.

#31 5 years ago

AFMR. Deadpool isn't even in the same league as AFMR. It would be like comparing varsity football team to a NFL team.

#32 5 years ago

AFMr for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-flipper-to-own-help-me-decide-please?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.