Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Zampinator
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    SYS11.jpg
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

This is something I have been planning for a long time ... so here we go.

The first ever System 11 World Championships will be held in Pukekohe, New Zealand on Sunday 13th March, 2016.

The comp is part of Kiwi Pincade ... see the thread here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiwi-pincade-2016-dates-announced

The SYS11 Champs will be a whole day comp, with qualifying and playoffs all jammed into one day. It will be pretty full on, depending on the numbers who enter.

At this stage, we have decided to keep the entry fee at $0, to encourage participation. Of course, this also sets the prize money at $0. That's how we kiwis do it LOL

However, I have designed some very sexy trophies that will be custom made for the winners.

Originally, my concept was for every competitor to play EVERY SYSTEM 11 GAME EVER MADE ... all 30 of them! But I calculated that we just don't have the time. So qualifying will take place on a lesser number of machines, and the top 32 will make the playoffs on Sunday night.

Hope you can make it down!

Dave

System 11s ahoy!System 11s ahoy!

#2 8 years ago

Was wondering why I sent you a Hyperball!

I'm doing the same thing with System 1s

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Was wondering why I sent you a Hyperball!
    I'm doing the same thing with System 1s

Hyperball is a System 7 boardset But it sure looks cool next to all the Sys11s!!

rd.

#4 8 years ago

Great idea!

#5 8 years ago

This is awesome!

You'll have to put a screen/projector up somewhere with live results so it is easy to keep track of the tourney.

At the Moon event in Wellington this year I had the iPad running the Brackelope tourney app doing AirPlay mirroring to a TV with an Apple TV that everyone could see the iPad screen. It was really helpful not only for announcing the matchups in a noisy space but also for everyone to be more engaged with the state of the comp.

#6 8 years ago

Looks like I might be using a pile of those miles I have been accumulating from flying around the world.

I suck at pinball but I would hate to miss this one.

Chris

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

Looks like I might be using a pile of those miles I have been accumulating from flying around the world.
    Chris

Bring John Legend back with you

Hope you can make it down! Should be pretty cool.

rd

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

This is awesome!
    You'll have to put a screen/projector up somewhere with live results so it is easy to keep track of the tourney.
    At the Moon event in Wellington this year I had the iPad running the Brackelope tourney app doing AirPlay mirroring to a TV with an Apple TV that everyone could see the iPad screen. It was really helpful not only for announcing the matchups in a noisy space but also for everyone to be more engaged with the state of the comp.

That is definitely the idea. The software scrolls the screens so everyone can see what is going on.

The comp machines will be separate to the big games room .. I will move them out to the big garage. More room for everyone there, away from the clutter of 100 pins and 100 people.

I was just going to run a lead to the 55" TV (hey, I'm low tech!) but if you can help with streaming etc, that would be cool.

I would also like to live stream some gameplay, but I'll need some volunteers for that. Outside of my field of expertise. Hey, I can learn to do it, but I'm better to concentrate on fixing pinball machines!

rd

#9 8 years ago

What software would you be using for it?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

What software would you be using for it?

This one ...

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=161

rd

#11 8 years ago

I love this idea so much, really hope you guys are able to stream it!

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

Chris

Take me!

#13 8 years ago

Righto. Windows.

Since you have to use a PC you're fixed to one place anyway to run the tourney then your idea of running to a big TV via HDMI is probably the simplest option. Wireless streaming is only really beneficial if you're already mobile with a tablet.

But if you want to consider it you can use AirParrot (http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/) which will let you stream to multiple devices at once. You can stream to a TV with a stock Apple TV, or a Chromecast running Google Cast. Or you can stream to any PC/Mac/iPad/Tablet/Phone running the companion Reflector app.

You might want to have a TV in your games room as well as the garage both showing the same live results screen.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

But if you want to consider it you can use AirParrot (http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/) which will let you stream to multiple devices at once. You can stream to a TV with a stock Apple TV, or a Chromecast running Google Cast. Or you can stream to any PC/Mac/iPad/Tablet/Phone running the companion Reflector app

I saw some blue and yellow airparrots flying in the air once.

Lol

That all sounded foreign language to me so maybe the cord is looking sweet!

rd

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

So qualifying will take place on a lesser number of machines

So what pins did you select?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jumping-Box:

So what pins did you select?

Really good ones.

You'll need to come to find out. That's called "dangling the carrot...."

rd

#17 8 years ago

This would be something I would sure like to be a part of, as would most any pinhead. Not going to rule it out because of the distance. It would just be awesome! I will look into what it would take

#18 8 years ago

One way you can try to get all 30 games played in your event is to make it match play, one vs one. Each round is best 3 out of 5. The first game in the match is randomly selected. The loser of the game gets choice of position or game selection. A player may not select the same game twice until he has played on all 30 games.

With this method, all 30 games are eligible to be selected.

Sounds like a great day of pinball! Good luck to everyone that can attend!

Marcus

#19 8 years ago

We are doing these type of tournaments at the Ann Arbor Michigan pinball museum. we don't have every system 11 game but we're pretty darn close. Also going to have tournaments for Zaccaria gen2, early dataeast, Bally -35, stern m200, and WPC. Again we have nearly complete collections of these systems. We also have the EM world championships at our place during our spring show. It's fun stuff to run tournaments like this.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

One way you can try to get all 30 games played in your event is to make it match play, one vs one. Each round is best 3 out of 5. The first game in the match is randomly selected. The loser of the game gets choice of position or game selection. A player may not select the same game twice until he has played on all 30 games.
    With this method, all 30 games are eligible to be selected

Sounds good in theory! But there will be 80+ players (going off last years Pincade tournament) so just working it through in my head ...
    - 60 players could play 30 machines, but 20+ would be waiting
    - each 3 out of 5 game would take 30 mins average Id say. Some much longer, guys like RGR can play 20 mins per ball lol
    - so each round might take 1-1.5 hours to get all players through

That'd be ok if we had a couple of days, but we have to make it work in a day.

Originally, my concept was for two days ...
    - everybody plays each machine once (so 30 games)
    - you get say 3 wildcards ... So if you have a "shitter" you can replay max 3 games
    - top 32 players go into best 3 of 5 playoffs.

It could well evolve to something like this over the next few years, if it is successful.

rd

#22 8 years ago

we do our themed tournaments as match play. you pay one low price, and it's best 2 of 3 games in each round. three strikes (three round loses) you're out of the tournament. put all the names in a hat, and put all the game names in another hat. draw players and draw the game. it worked really well, and everyone got a lot of play time, and the tournament was over in 4 hours (with 40 players on EM machines.)

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

we do our themed tournaments as match play. you pay one low price, and it's best 2 of 3 games in each round. three strikes (three round loses) you're out of the tournament. put all the names in a hat, and put all the game names in another hat. draw players and draw the game. it worked really well, and everyone got a lot of play time, and the tournament was over in 4 hours (with 40 players on EM machines.)

Cheers Clay.

With your format, when the players names were drawn, did you draw 3 different games for them to play? Or 3 games on the same machine?

How many games did the winner end up playing over the 4 hours?

Dave.

#24 8 years ago

Great idea so looking forward to it!

#25 8 years ago

for any particular round, you played all three (or two) games on the same machine (best 2 out of 3). you can't move people around from game-to-game inside a single round, that would be too much. The whole idea was to keep the rounds moving. we had a nice prize for the "first one out" (three strikes), aka the "biggest loser". i forget the total numbers of rounds played over the tournament.

#26 8 years ago

System 11's are the best, what is it a 2hr plane ride from Canada, I'll be there.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

System 11's are the best, what is it a 2hr plane ride from Canada, I'll be there.

Just line up 3 movies to watch on Air NZs luxurious new planes, sit back, drink up and you'll be there before you know it! Too easy!

rd.

2 weeks later
    #28 8 years ago

Sounds gooood Daaaaviiiieee !
    It is a very original idea (even it last long !) when we need to run a tournament with long games here in Europe we use the Switzerland system, one on one and 11 games to play in the qualification round.
    The qualified players for the final round are the players with the most victories.
    It allow all the games to be played in the same time and also a lot of games played (it is not a problem if RGR and BUL plays in one game for hours, all the 29 other games are available to play)...
    If you put all system 11 in the garage please put an extra fridge inside, we need beer !
    Another airline to be chosen is Emirates, 3 movies and good food and beautiful girls and you ll be there !

#29 8 years ago

Hi Frankieeeee

I will work over possible format scenarios with Josh Sharpe and Brian when I am in Chicago next month.

We will try and format it for the most games/most points we can fit in on the day.

rd

1 month later
    #30 8 years ago

I've talked to Josh Sharpe and worked out the best format for a one day comp for 70-90 people.

We will have qualifying on 10 System 11 games, 9-2pm.

Top 32 will go into playoffs.

All playoffs will be best of 3 to even out the irregular scoring in some of the games. Although I will be fitting "fixed jackpot" roms to the games where available.

Good times for allllllll!!

Come along! All welcome!

rd

#31 8 years ago

Irregular is not strong enough a term. Players orders will matter big time with all of the locked ball stealing that will be going on.

Love the System-11 games. I have Diner, Taxi and Earthshaker all next to each other.

I'm Jealous. There is no way you won't have fun.

#32 8 years ago

Yeah this is really cool. I didn't realize you had so many games.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Irregular is not strong enough a term. Players orders will matter big time with all of the locked ball stealing that will be going on.
    Love the System-11 games. I have Diner, Taxi and Earthshaker all next to each other.
    I'm Jealous. There is no way you won't have fun.

You can make people play 1 player games to fix the lock stealing issues.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

You can make people play 1 player games to fix the lock stealing issues.

I think lock stealing is part of the game. Over 3 games it sort of balances out.

The worse aspect of Sys11s is the jackpots. If player one gets a jackpot on Taxi for example, it may have built up to say 4 million. Then it goes down to 500,000. The next player would have to get 8 jackpots to get 4 million points. Good luck doing that lol. So that's where the fixed jackpot roms come in. The jackpot is set at say 3 million, whoever gets a jackpot gets 3 million. Sweet.

rd

#35 8 years ago

Agreed. It makes the order you play more of a strategy.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I think lock stealing is part of the game. Over 3 games it sort of balances out.
    The worse aspect of Sys11s is the jackpots. If player one gets a jackpot on Taxi for example, it may have built up to say 4 million. Then it goes down to 500,000. The next player would have to get 8 jackpots to get 4 million points. Good luck doing that lol. So that's where the fixed jackpot roms come in. The jackpot is set at say 3 million, whoever gets a jackpot gets 3 million. Sweet.
    rd

even without the roms there are settings to limit the jackpot range of some of the games so it's not that big of a deal.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Agreed. It makes the order you play more of a strategy.

I would say it makes your play strategy more important than anything. That is something I LOVE about sys11. Avoiding locks is just as important as locking them sometimes

3 weeks later
    #38 8 years ago

Update ... I have worked out the best format for a one day mega comp with Josh Sharpe and talked to Mark at PAPA about the best setups for Sys11s. So this is what we will do.

I will have 10x Sys11s set up for qualifying. Every player has to play each machine once.

Top 32 qualifiers will go into Matchplay playoffs on ANY of the Sys11 machines.

Nice and tidy, and we should be able to rip through the 80 odd players quickly enough. Machines will be set up pretty tough, with hard rules installed and jackpots as fixed as the machine will allow.

Reminder ... This is Sunday March 13 so not really that far away.

All good!

rd

#39 8 years ago

Bump for the day crowd.

rd

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Choice! Looking forward to it RD

It should be super sweet!

rd

1 month later
    #42 8 years ago

Only two months to go BUMP!!

rd

#43 8 years ago

super cool wish I could make the trip!

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

super cool wish I could make the trip!

Come down, plenty of room for allllllll!

rd

3 weeks later
    #45 8 years ago

Offical Sys11 World Championships T shirt is up.

Thanks to Josh (accidental) and John (fugus ... Aka "I'm half Tongan you know" lol) for designing these and arranging the making.

$30 NZ each, pre order only ... If you want one please let me/Josh/John know ASAP and we will order.

Any size .. Any color.

Also available, Kiwi Pincade shirts, same deal. Pincade shirt has Sys11 logo on the back.

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#46 8 years ago

Pincade and Sys11 Champs shirts have obtained even more awesomeness with the Sys11 logo now featuring Williams Red color! Nice!

Same deal as before!!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#47 8 years ago

This is a great event!! Why don't you use the pin golf tourny.rules we do at PAGG?? Makes the process go much faster,with that many entries!!INMHO!!Peace

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

We are doing these type of tournaments at the Ann Arbor Michigan pinball museum.

A trip to Rotordaves place in NZ would be awesome, but I don't know if I can make that happen. Where can I get some info on the Ann Arbor tournaments?

Never mind, just found it. The same weekend as Pin a Go-go in CA, which I just booked. Man this hurts... I so want to do both.

#49 8 years ago

Wish you were closer!

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

This is a great event!! Why don't you use the pin golf tourny.rules we do at PAGG?? Makes the process go much faster,with that many entries!!INMHO!!Peace

With the new IFPA rules, pingolf isn't worth much points wise.

Quoted from Hougie:

Wish you were closer!

Me too!

rd

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-ever-system-11-world-championship and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.