(Topic ID: 155223)

First EM...Is Royal Guard a good choice?

By Spitfiren8

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Spitfiren8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm thinking of getting my first em. Ive watched a few game-play vids of Royal Guard and it looks like it's right up my alley. So, for the EM initiated, is this a solid choice for a EM noob? Anything crazy/unique/unobtainium about this title I should look out for?

#2 3 years ago

Personally I would go for a mid 70’s machine. I’m also not a fan of 2” flippers, so I would not choose this machine. But it looks like it could be a good first EM.

Looking at your current collection, maybe something like 4million BC or Fireball would hold your attention longer, Multiball machines.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks Chrisbee!

I should have been a bit clearer in my fist post but I didnt want it to be crazy long. I want a fun wedgehead that I can learn on in the hopes of getting competent enough to seriously look at finding my father a Kings and Queens, and 2" flippers are more of what im looking for right now. He is not a pinhead but he always talks about playing one at his local hangout when he was in his teens. We play my machines when he visits but everytime he tells me about playing that game as a kid I can see "that look" in his eye.

Should i change title to First em wedgehead for clarity?

I have lurked a few EM posts and got the impression a single player game would be best for a noob. I def want to keep my wire shooting to a minimum in the beginning!

#4 3 years ago

Seams to be a challenging pin to play. To quote other Pinsiders, "Has that one more Play" abiliy. May not be the best art package, but it should help your pinball skills. That moving target is different.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Seams to be a challenging pin to play. To quote other Pinsiders, "Has that one more Play" abiliy. May not be the best art package, but it should help your pinball skills. That moving target is different.

Thats the feeling I got when looking at gameplay. I have found myself gravitating towards my shorter balltime games recently too. An EM might scratch that itch, sometimes I just want to play pinball and not think about scoring strategies.

I am hoping the snap-targets aren't some un-fixable feature for a noob like me. Hopefully the em community can ease my mind on this one or steer my to another title to look for.

Also hopefully this one will hit the sweet spot of affordability vs fun factor and still allow me to get under the hood without fear of bricking the game by screwing up some unobtainable part.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

sometimes I just want to play pinball and not think about scoring strategies.

There are scoring strategies, just not as in depth as newer pins. Affordability vs Fun Factor is the key. EM games have very short ball times.

Read up on the EM Repair Guide and all should be fine. The important accessory for the game is the Schematic. Wax, new ball, new rubber rings, are a must, for new to you purchase.

#7 3 years ago

Almost all gottlieb games are good, so sure, why not. And gottlieb wedgeheads are simple and reliable

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

There are scoring strategies, just not as in depth as newer pins. Affordability vs Fun Factor is the key. EM games have very short ball times.
Read up on the EM Repair Guide and all should be fine. The important accessory for the game is the Schematic. Wax, new ball, new rubber rings, are a must, for new to you purchase.

Cool, so nothing cosmic on the snap targets/anything else?

I think i can manage shooting wires and adjusting/r2ing any common components.

Hopefully i don't regret putting that last statement on the record

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Cool, so nothing cosmic on the snap targets/anything else?

Go to IPDB look up Palace Guard (the AAB version), there is a photo of the SNAP Targets from under the playfield. 2 coils, some switches seem to make the snap function work.

The reset bank with the 40 or 50 switches in it would be more daunting, to me.

Gottlieb made their games to last, once it is running and is played regularly it should keep running for years. "Knock on wood".

#10 3 years ago

Check it out. Royal Guard has the most bang for the buck. People hate the art package but for 300-800 dollars (depending on condition) You can't go wrong. This game kicks everyone's ass in a fun way in tournaments and has that one more game feel. When you get that one in 20 games higher score you walk away feeling accomplished. I only sold mine because i needed quick money for another machine and was in a quick bind to get it. One of these days I will own another. I regret selling mine.

#11 3 years ago

I really like Royal Guard. Its a tough, challenging game to complete. No brainer in my book.

#12 3 years ago

Yes! yes it is

#13 3 years ago

I owned a Palace Guard for less than a year and sold it in order to move up to a Sing Along which is basically the same game you eventually want in Kings and Queens. PG was my first pin and I enjoyed it a lot. Between the snaps and three bells it made a lot of noise which was one of its coolest features. I rolled it just once at 107000. , but the next game didn't break 1000..... That's the fun of PG and the advantage of it being an AAB. Because the snaps move so much and are relatively close during ball play, I never really knew what I was accomplishing when hitting the targets until after a ball drain....so I grew tired of it. That, and the artwork left me looking for more.
Here's an idea..... Take a road trip with your dad to Allentown Pinfest and play them all...... Maybe even find a pin you like better and haul it home....memories of a trip like that would be quite special.
Good luck!

#14 3 years ago

Palace guard is a little more fun but royal guard will do as well

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for the input everybody!

#16 3 years ago

Royal Guard was my 1st pin & still have it. Love lighting up the specials!!
I vote YES, go for it.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

One of these days I will own another. I regret selling mine.

Don't worry Rat, they seem to come up quite often.

#18 3 years ago

My Palace guard is for sale, I have a verbal offer. Game is located in CT.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-palace-guard-gottlieb-1968

Pics can be seen on the Tread Show us your EM pins page 117

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Almost all gottlieb games are good, so sure, why not. And gottlieb wedgeheads are simple and reliable

Simple, yes. Reliable, well, not always. They get out of adjustment fairly easily, especially with the short throw relays.

I own one. It's a fun game.

1 week later
#20 3 years ago

Like Rat said! This is a good bang for the buck! Nice thumper action up top with direct target shots at the bottom, and "In-your-Face" direct special shots that are a bit harder than appears. Like Budman said, the snap target unit does move very often during game-play, and you'll find yourself trying to trap the ball just to update your needs.

The quick-drain games are a nice change of pace at times, and tweaked well and dialed in, will give you some great action in those short periods of ball time..........

#21 3 years ago

I like royal guard. It had really good rules. If it was a 4 player game, I would have kept it.

#22 3 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. Unfortunatly I didnt pull the trigger fast enough and it sold before I had a chance to look at it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
Project Pinball Charity
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 1,099.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 209.99
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside