04b Middle-right playfield, after.jpg
05a Bonus lanes, before.jpg
04a Middle-right playfield, before.jpg
03b Kick-out hole, after.jpg
03a Kick-out hole, before.jpg
02a Drop targets, before.jpg
01 Surf Champ, overall playfield.jpg
02b Drop targets, after.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

I just did a bunch of work on a Surf Champ, great game.

If you haven't, but a NEW ball for it, the old one may be pitted or have rust which will tear up the playfield.

Clean the playfield with Novus 2 after vacuuming up any big dirt with a vacuum and soft brush. Give it a good wax with a hard carnuba wax with no added cleaners after. Clear coat is great but not necessary in a home if you want to avoid it.

Clean the plastics with Novus 1.

First thing I would do, and I was told to do this by a man much smarter than myself, clean all of your stepper units. There is a coin stepper in the bottom of the cab, a bonus stepper under the playfield, a players stepper in the back box, and 3 out of the four score reels for each player has a stepper.

For the first three steppers I mentioned, use 3 in 1 oil on all of the pivot points, the grease they used in the factory solidifies after years and this is a must. You want them moving freely. Then you need to remove the bakelite disc with the shoes on them and wipe alcohol on the rivets with a rag, then use a green 3m scotchbrite pad right away to get them nice and shiny, buff the shoes with the pad too. Then use a thin layer of superlube on all the rivets after that. make sure you note the position of the disc with the shoes and replace it the way it was, especially on the player unit, and don't step the unit and that one up while you have it taken off as it is a continuous stepper unit that wont reset back to home, you don't want to lose the position.

The score units don't have pivot points, but they have rivets that need cleaning, you remove two screws and a little C clip to clean those. Put a white sheet down so that when you drop a C clip you don't spend half an hour on the floor hunting for it.

Clean those before doing anything else.

More info here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

Happy to help if you have any questions.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's just me, but I wouldn't recommend that someone working on his first EM start taking the player unit apart.

Definetly not taking the player unit apart, but removing just the disc with the shoes to clean the rivets is easy, JUST remove the disc. You can actually probably get away with just cleaning the rivets around the disc and then manually stepping it up to get the ones the disc is hiding.

Then to clean the pivot points you can just unclip the whole players unit and access it from behind, no need to take it apart and I wouldn't recommend that.

#15 9 years ago

I can take photos of mine later if the OP wants clarification.

#16 9 years ago

And take photos of everything beforehand showing the position of everything.

And do the score reel steppers one at a time, so you can reference the others if you get lost.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Yes, I know my purchase was against collective EM wisdom but for $200 i couldn't resist this machine

You did great! Those are selling like hot cakes! Mine was 150$ I got a month or so ago.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#22 9 years ago

Nothing wrong with hiring someone, I had to bring my expert friend in to help me. But do as much as possible as you can, you don't want to pay someone $100 an hour to clean your steppers! It's time consuming more than it is challenging.

#30 9 years ago

For the love of God why! So much trouble for what I'm sure sounds horrible.

#32 9 years ago

Can you post a video? I'm super curious to hear it.

1 week later
#49 9 years ago

so after the fifth ball of the last player it just keeps going?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-em-surf-champ-1?tu=practicalsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.