(Topic ID: 286332)

First E.M. Recommendations Tell Me What You Like!

By SantaEatsCheese

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210627_200333 (resized).jpg
    20210626_172602 (resized).jpg
    20210626_172211 (resized).jpg
    20210626_172614 (resized).jpg
    20210626_172208 (resized).jpg
    20210626_172201 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0526 (resized).JPG
    20210626_112104 (resized).jpg
    20210626_104502 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
    Playfields (resized).png
    Atlant (resized).png
    CoIN (resized).png
    all (resized).png
    20210124_101544 (resized).jpg
    20210124_102225 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott72.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 3 years ago

To sum up the desires of the OP...

1) Score reels.
    2) 1 to 4 players.
    3) Big fan of art, but open to theme. I like card themes and dislike westerns.
    4) Spinners, and something with specific targets to hit in a specific order.
    5) Chimes.

1, 2 & 5 = almost anything in a range with spinners (1966-on)
    3 = Gottlieb 1970-1978

Spinners = Spin Out, Jet Spin, etc.
    Ordered Targets + Card Game = Jacks Open

However, I think you might be missing out by limiting your choices. JACKS OPEN is an excellent pinball game, but there are several others without your criteria all lined up.

Centigrade 37 is really great art and fun to play a lot.
    King Pin is a bowler with a semi-ordered target of pins and great art.
    Four Square is psychedelic art, mere bumpers and roll overs and standing targets with a specific order, as is Astro.
    Flying Carpet has same as Four Square, but you spell FLYING CARPET, no order necessary, and then free games come easy.

Look into HOT SHOT, a pool game.

Maybe SPIN OUT, though simple, might be something interesting--you have 1-7 to light up from hitting spinner and roll overs. Getting the order right gives you a free game, getting everything lit, but #4 last will grant 3 free games at once! This game is simplistic, but deadly due to angles on the field. It's a wedge head(single) so it is easy to maintain.

#66 3 years ago

NVM--I confused spinners with roto-targets.

Spinners aren't hard to come by.

Of course, if you really want a keen game with a sequence and cool spinner action. There is ROCK STAR for sale in the market--right now--for $6500 with second playfield. A true rare gem of EM! One spinner sets the bonus for the other spinner, so if you spin the right to light up 10, 100, 1000, the middle spinner will rotate to give you that much on each flip. You could rack it up BIG TIME with that logic. Only 268 were made, and most went to Italy.

3 months later
    #85 2 years ago

If I was really into this pins or that era, and those games work well, are keeping score perfectly, playfields are in nice condition, and are available for $4500....

I'D BUY.

It's hard enough to scrape together games of various states of repair within 6 months. Getting a trove in one swoop is convenient.

Forget the detractors saying the price is too high: collectors and enthusiasts have hit the market and the prices are going up naturally, due to supply-demand. You won't see these for $800 each, like in previous decades.

Those are 3 very good Gottlieb 70s games. They aren't ones I would get, because I own 5 that are my faves, and I have a list of 10 others I'd rather have before these machines. However, I have played these IRL and in virtual pinball, and they are very good machines. (There aren't many stinkers from Gottlieb in the 70s, if any). Finding machines with fresh paint or excellent cabinets in real hard... unless you put down $2000+; respray is expensive and time consuming. The good thing is that you won't notice the ratty cabs so much once the three are sandwiched together in a corner of a game room--put the best one facing outward.

I'd also prepare to tuck into improvement and repair once I got those: replace rubber, flipper bats, plastics, posts, replace all lights with new LEDs, polish/derust legs, polish lock bars, etc.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Well, I got rejected at $4500. He's asking $5800 for all which is a bit steep. I will talk to him again if they are available in a week or so. Looking forward to trying some of these at pinfest.

So almost $2000 per??

I’d have to see them, but from the photos they look lackluster. The cabinets are definitely worn… they’d better have 8+ playfield and back glass and plastics to get any higher. They’d also better be shopped out so thoroughly that they are tight.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Going to look at an El Dorado tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Make sure it’s in good shape. It would suck to be fresh to pins and have to work in order to enjoy the play.

When restored through and through, they are beautiful toys.

El Dorado is a really nice 70s Gottlieb; I prefer the art and style of Canada Dry, but they are essentially the same game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott72.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-em-recommendations-tell-me-what-you-like?tu=Gott72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.