(Topic ID: 62394)

First EM Opinions: Expressway or Space Mission?

By tcv

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tcv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

So, I'm about to buy a first pin. It's my first toe into the water of collecting, I imagine.

I'm in a good location with a lot of repair people and, in fact, the table will remain in a location where I can work on it and be able to ask questions of folks more versed than me.

There are several tables available, but I've kind of zeroed in on these two. The price on either machine is easily affordable, the playfields have light wear and the games are in the care of a collector I know and trust. They are both what he'd call light projects, which seems about perfect for me right now.

Space Mission in particular seems to have a cottage industry behind it with completely reproduced plastics and backglass. The backglass is probably a loss. It's soooo bad. The playfield looks good. It will need cleanup.

Expressway looks great. It's clean and the colors are vibrant. The size appeals to me and, well, this being a first em, the idea of a 4-player em is a bit scary to me.

Any thoughts are welcome.

#5 10 years ago

Steve, I ran across your video before I ran across your thread here when you shopped yours out. Admittedly, your thread left me feeling a bit overwhelmed considering all the stuff you did and had to do. The key to any big project, I think, is to break down big goals into lots of tiny tasks and BE PATIENT.

Buying both is not out of the question. They're both likely to stay where they're at for the during of my working on them.

There are reproduction Space Mission backglasses and plastics available. The BG is around $300 after shipping. The only issue I was able to quickly spy on the Space Mission yesterday were some warped plastics. I've read here that there are ways to cure that without buying repros.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from bleargh:

Absolutely. Was the same with my Space Odyssey when I restored it... lots of things needing to be done, but you approach it as "a series of little things, all needing to be done" and then get them done one at a time. "Baby steps" as it were.

Yep. I work in IT and a lot of these ideas still apply. It's easy to get overwhelmed by a big picture. At least it is for me, maybe others look at a goal consisting of hundreds of tiny steps and it doesn't phase 'em.

I tell you though, there are some things that seem so utterly impossible to me right now. For instance: dismantling a playfield to clean it. How in the hell does anyone keep all those parts in place. I hear the old saw: "lots of pictures and videos" but I've done that with some laptops and still have trouble getting them back together. A playfield seems infinitely more complicated.

Another thing I wonder about: How does one clean wires? Surely all that latex and plastic and rubber has got to be harboring some major sticky gunk and dirt. Does one literally have to pull a single wire out of the harnesses and clean them? Maybe that's the only way.

Gah, getting too worried just thinking about it.

Quoted from bleargh:

I can vouch for the CPR backglasses looking awesome here... I managed to grab the last one from Matt Farmer after CPR sold out of the Space Odyssey ones. I believe they still have Space Mission backglasses, but are out of the Space Odyssey ones.
As for the plastics, an alternative to picking up the repros is to find someone else who did and see if they'd be willing to part with some of their originals (hint: like me).

Thanks! I will definitely keep it all in mind.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from bleargh:

Practice. I've been a software dev for ~30yrs, and "reducing everything down to baby steps" became my mantra several years back. Reading Martin Fowler's "Refactoring" reminded me that its all just baby steps; "big steps" are just comprised of multiple smaller steps. Took me forever for it to really sink in, but once it did, a whole lot of things became a lot simpler.

What does that book say about trying to attain perfection? That can be the enemy of working, too ... at least for me.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

as a fellow "relatively new" person, i'd offer a bit of advice... don't get too far ahead of yourself... when you mentioned "cleaning wires one by one", that kinda jumped out at me a bit... imo, start by "shopping" the machine (strip/clean/wax pf, rebuild flippers/pops, r&r crudded assemblies, etc.)...

I hear you. I would not pull apart harnesses wire-by-wire in order to clean them. I was using that as a hypothetical for someone who was trying to get a machine perfectly clean.

Your list is something that I definitely want to do. How does one do all that work on the pf without pulling everything off?

One-step-at-a-time. One-step-at-a-time.

I'm finding that there's not a heck of a lot of information out there about Expressway. At least, I haven't found a manual yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tcv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-em-opinions-expressway-or-space-mission?tu=tcv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.