Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by MadPole
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MadPole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Nothing like jumping in the deep end of the pool. My first EM is a Grand Prix and I'm going to need a g'bunch of help to get thru this.

There's plenty of issues to track down, but let's start with one or two and see if I can't learn some EM skills along the way.

I hit the start button for a one player game. The scoring wheel whirs to life and the scoring reels are reset to all zeros. So far, so good. First issue is when the 10's reel rolls over, the 100's reel doesn't advance. The 1,000's reel advances when the 100's reel rolls over. The 10,000 reel doesn't advance when the 1,000 reel rolls over. The 100,000 reel advances when the 10,000 reel rolls over. The nine switches all look like they are adjusted. I've cleaned the contacts.

The second issue is the ball count doesn't advance when the ball drains to the outhole. The bonus is scored and reset. The large red arrow doesn't alternate.

Any advice to get started will be greatly appreciated.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll be putting this new info to work when I get home.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks to you guys, I've found the problem.
The good news is I've found the problem. The bad news is I'm going to need some tips on how to proceed.

The problem has been traced back to the player unit. It's binding up and needs to be cleaned. Same thing for the ball unit.

Besides taking a sheet load of pictures, don't use white grease, WD-40 or contact cleaner... what do I need to know to tackle cleaning these stepper units?

#12 8 years ago

Disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and I'll be damned it works. Scoring reels now roll over the next higher feel like they should. Bball stepper unit is next.

#14 8 years ago

UPDATE:
I cleaned up the Ball Stepper Unit. It advances and resets as it should when i jump the coils to ground. The problem is, the game doesn't advance to the next ball when the ball drains. The bonus is added to the score. The bonus is reset. The ball is kicked out to the shooter lane, but the game remains on Ball 1.

I've browsed thru the schematics, but can't figure out where I need to start tracing the problem.

Can somebody summarize what happens when the ball drains and what paths I need to start tracing on the schematics?

Thanks again for the help.

#18 8 years ago

Neither the Ball Advance nor Player Advance were working. I found a common path for the two relays and started jumping switches. It ended up being dirty contacts on the Extra Ball Index relay. They're normally closed so I guess dirt and carbon buildup got to the point the switch acted as open.

Cleaned the contacts with a flex stone and now the ball count advances and the player advances as they should.

Thanks for all the help. It's gonna take a while to get into the full EM mindset, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

2 weeks later
#19 8 years ago

I'm down to my last issue.
The bonus does not alternate between the left and right bonus. It should switch from left to right or from right to left after a ball drains. Mine is stuck on the left bonus.
Manually engaging the alternating relay will count down the right bonus when the outhole switch is activated.

I've scanned over the schematics and can't seem to figure out how the alternating relay gets activated.
Can somebody explain to me how the alternating relay gets energized?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#20 8 years ago

Found it!
One of the wipers on the ball unit energizes the alternating relay.
The wiper for the ball count was making contact (just barely), but the alternating wiper wasn't.
I'm just starting to get the hang of troubleshooting an EM, but have a long way to go.

#21 8 years ago

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

I fixed what i thought was my last issue and buttoned up the game. Very excited to play my first game with everything working, but...

None of the kickout saucers or out hole register.

Damn, Damn Damn.

I know it must be something in common, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

If anybody has any ideas, please share them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MadPole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-em-is-a-grand-prix-boy-do-i-have-questions?tu=MadPole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.