• Latest reply 6 years ago by djsolzs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180319_220252 (resized).jpg
20180319_221833 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djsolzs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Been around arcades for a while and Williams pins 90s for few years. Never owned an EM. Some if you helped me with pickup help...

I recently cleaned it (sides and playfield) turned it on got nothing. Hit start and got GI and backglass lighting. Forgot to put ball in. Turn off and back on with ball and and nothing. The only thing that kicks it on is to push left flipper. From there I can start a game.

After hitting the right bumper I get a buzzing sound from back box. No score shows on the display. All zeros. Ive turned off the game afterwards immediately so far.

Coin door lights up. Can credit up the machine and hear that working. Fuses are good - any advice on where else to start? Game supposedly wasn't turned on for 8 years. Thanks in advance for any direction to get me going.

Update - pressing left flipper kicked it on. Lights and was able to start a game. I maually dropped the ball in it hit first bumping and went ding and started to buzz. I turned off machine. So why does hitting left flipper kicked it on? Short? I assume the buzzing is bad coil?

#3 6 years ago

Ok good to know I'm running in to some things that are normal. I'll focus on the buzzing. The middle small number I assume is credits that works. Also middle number on real works.

I think i was originally wrong buzzing is from under playfield but I don't think it's on the playfield.

Any points I hit other than 100 cause buzzing noise.

Found the middle real works (where 100 starts) this is only on 1 player so I assume I'm dealing with player 1 real only.

Starting to feel like number real isn't the issue but something associated with pop bumpers and couple roll overs. Some roll overs work fine and register points.

Thanks

#5 6 years ago

Found the buzz coming from 10pt

Possible the switches are linked up or is it coil? I assume it's coil.

Not getting clear result when testing with multimeter.

Best way to test other coils?

20180319_221833 (resized).jpg20180319_221833 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Also found this - for free play maybe? Top coil not connected white wire tied off

20180319_220252 (resized).jpg20180319_220252 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Wasnt able to get any further last night. Should next steps be just replacing the coil? Or is there possibility that the switches are gunked up? Or do I need to look more at the reel it should be activating to see if that is stuck?

Thanks again

#9 6 years ago

What you are saying makes sense thanks.

When you say "Check all the switches that energize the 10 point relay and look for a closed set or a set that is too close." - Do you mean switches under the playfield from the roll overs or do you mean the leaf switches on the relay?

How do you manually activate the 10 point relay etc? Just push down on the leaf switches?

Will NAPTHA and a toothbrush work for cleaning? I usually just use a business card on the switch connections to clean the connectors (actually works well) but not used to heavy gunk.

Thanks for the help sorry if the above are easy questions just differs from the troubleshooting I'm used to.

#13 6 years ago

I spent time cleaning the relay switches in the backbox last night with no change. I didnt see your reply.

Ill take some time looking under playfield - sounds like what you are saying is I may not need to focus on cleaning them but checking the gap on the switches.

I assume that it would activate when I turn on the machine if contacts where touching all the time? Is the white contact holder in backbox or under playfield? I keep getting stuck looking at that relay.

Also should I be looking at the bottom of the cabinet or literally at the switched under the playfield? Im not used to seeing so many switches and mechanics on bottom of cabinet. Thanks again!

I was able to manually move the 10 point wheel and it did reset back to zero when starting a game.

Howard - 70s Bally Knockout.

#15 6 years ago

Huh? Looking for direction here my first time on EM not used to all the switches everywhere.

It was my fault for not understanding where to focus - can you add to advice because in general I understand I have to diagnose and fix the right problem.

Quoted from HowardR:

Sorry but that was a mistake. This forum is filled with posts from people who attempted wholesale "repairs" only to cause more problems than they were trying to solve.
What to do instead: Slowly and carefully diagnose one problem at a time. When you've found the exact cause, fix that.

#17 6 years ago

I straightend out a switch that what causing and issue which now registers 100 pts.

Still having issues with other roll overs. Also getting buzzing on cool that hits the metal plate for the "ding" I don't remember being an issue before but now is. That and still 10 pt in back box. I'll keep looking under playfield.

Manually pressing the 10 and 100 and 1000 pts register in back box glad I know how that works now

I'll keep looking under the hood. Some register fine some cause the energizing

Howard - appreciate the offer I unfortunately think this game is hard to find schematics for and I don't have original. I'll try track that down.

#18 6 years ago

Finally just played a full game. I couldn't find anything to adjust switch wise.

I decided to disconnect and reconnect the Jones connector just to make sure I had good connection and everything worked.

All errors gone plays through all balls.

Make sense for it to be the cause or did I just move something just the right way?

Thanks for hanging in with me Bill

#21 6 years ago

Appreciate the words of advice that's what I was really looking for to started. I was fumbling not harsh but honest. Sometimes even with information available it's hard to just get started or have a starting point.

I appreciate the patience.

I think for some people learning is doing. I read several posts that just said "read this link" or "fully understand Bally em pinball". Ok that's great I'll do so over the next few years... I personally don't learn best reading blogs and other posts. But helping new folks willing to learn is what I appreciate from this forum and people.

I did however learn a few things and how to get started next time.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This will sound harsh, but this entire thread looks like someone fumbling in the dark attempting to capture a leaping frog without a flashlight.
Words of simple advice:
1 ) Buy a complete paper schematic
2 ) Understand the start up sequence of Bally pinball machine theory BEFORE turning the game on (the whole "left flipper button" was a tip off)
3 ) Clean all jones plugs beforehand with Scotchbrite
4 ) Trace the steps through reset until the ball is released for play, ONE STEP AT A TIME (this means the game is now "functional")
5 ) Clean assemblies as required, ONE AT A TIME, full disassembly required on some parts such as score reels, do not cut corners.
6 ) Tighten all switch stacks, but do not make adjustments!!!
7 ) Test game features and scoring when the high power is energized after ball release, RECORD RESULTS FOR CORRECTIONS
8 ) Make adjustments to switches or relays, LAST! (this means the game is "operational")
Start simple, be methodical, work forward.
Not only will this assist you in learning, it will prevent more issues, or making matters worse.
Presently, the OP has no idea what he did, what he really learned, or how to do any corrections in the future.
Keep flipping.

#23 6 years ago

Thanks I'll buy one. I guess I just thought that because it wasn't readily available online for free - just something else I'm learning

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

John Robertson should have your schematics for this Bally EM game, $10-15 USD.
It is not a weird, rare game, and I have owned one myself.
https://www.flippers.com/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djsolzs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-em-help-bally-knockout?tu=djsolzs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.