Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Grizlyrig
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

Recently I acquired Bally's Air Aces from 1975. Having always wanted a pinball machine but coming from a household of 2 teachers and 2 kids, I had to wait until something affordable came our way. The seller was hoping to give it a home where it would be kept and not fixed and resold.

This is my first machine and first time working on anything this electrical. When the machine arrived, the coin relay was not working as well as one of the score relays. I've been able to fix both. The machine powers up and will turn on - lights and all. When I manually trip the game reset relay, the machine will function. I can drop a ball into the ball release, the machine will recognize it, and pop it into play. The score for player 1 will change based on the targets hit and the drop targets will reset when a ball is lost.

The two smaller flippers are slow to react or stuck. I’ve be able to identify a wire that needs soldering for the smaller flippers.

Though credits are added when a coin is inserted into either slot, they don't go down if you finish a game. Nor does the Game Over disappear when new credits are added. The start button also does not trigger a new game with credits in. As a result, a new game does not start unless the relay is manually triggered.

With this being my first machine, I was looking for any pointers/sites/suggestions on where to start in order to tackle the next steps.

Any help or guidance would be immensely appreciated!

#2 9 months ago

Hi. I have an Air Aces and can help along with other on this forum. Most Bally EMs are the same for basic functions like, adding credits, game over, ball count, etc. The most import thing is do you have a schematic?

I recommend flipper rebuilds. I also recommend looking at the flipper coils and making sure they are not burnt looking. This in no way is 100% confirming electrically they are ok. But it is a start. I rebuilt the flippers on mine two years ago and I should have done it sooner.

The best thing you can do is repost your needs in a logic order. My suggestion would be via numbers.
1) Credits do not reduce at the end of game.
2) The blank does not blank
3) etc

It is a great game and if you have not already looked at The Pinball Resource for parts, start looking around: www.pbresource.com

Dave

#3 9 months ago

And one more thing, this is excellent reading from a very detailed guy explaining how Bally EMs function (not your game, but similar functions for yours).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-schematic-fully-described-from-beginning-to-end-bally-bon-voyage

#4 9 months ago

This is an excellent guide for working on EMs: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#5 9 months ago

Schematics can be downloaded from here and printed up locally.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=28

-Mike

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 159.00
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 42.00
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 29.99
$ 129.25

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside