(Topic ID: 81349)

First cab decals - which leg protector should I use?

By MMP

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MMP
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9137.JPG
    IMG_9133.JPG
    IMG_9134.JPG
    Stern Decal Protectors.jpeg
    IMG_8957.JPG
    IMG_8958.JPG
    01.JPG
    Pincab Damage To New Decals - Installed Only 1X.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LongJohns.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Never put Pincabs on decals--they can cause impression marks immediately and eventually wrinkling.
    Install the new Stern stand-offs from PBL instead: ingenious design, because they never come in contact with the cabinet.
    Pincabs work nicely on original silk-screened cabinets, not replacement decals. Pincabs also serve to cover existing wear--but on games that were screened on white vinyl sheets applied first to the cabinet, using felt under the Pincab is cheap insurance.
    Here's a photo I saved of what happened to someone who unfortunately wasn't aware of this--and the resulting damage from being applied just one time on fresh decals.

Excuse the stupid question, but how exactly do the ones from the link posted not come into contact with the cabinet/art?

To me it looks like it is just a metal plate that installs between the cabinet and legs, in which case would it not touch the cabinet - or am I missing something here?

Thanks

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

As shown in the photo below: the decal is trimmed back from the protector and removed.
    Then the leg then sits on top of the plate and covers the trim line--and "stands off" from the cabinet.
    Hence no contact: brilliant design.

Thanks for that and I understand it better, but the bracket would still 'press' into the wood when the leg is attached although it would be hidden by the leg.

What we would need is the inside bracket assembled with sleeves welded to them that pass through the wood (ideally threaded the full length) but extend out just a bit so that when the leg is attached there would be a bit of a gap (say a few thousandths) between it and the wood/art.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

That's not necessary.
    The leg never contacts the decal or the cabinet--it only contacts the metal "Stand-Off" protector itself.
    Think of them as built-in protectors you have to do nothing to but attach the legs.
    Just go look at any new Stern and you'll see what I mean (starting with ACDC IIRC).

I understand, but with the metal protectors there is still the possibility that the protector can press into the wood surface. The act of bolting the leg on in itself would apply pressure to the plate and as such press (mark) the wood along it's (the protectors) edges. Granted the mark would be hidden by the leg, but I am sure the potential still exists that the wood can be marked.

Now take the method I mentioned, if through hole standoffs were used, then nothing would touch the outside of the cabinet at all. Just saying.

I use the plastic protectors myself as my cabinets have leg damage already and the plastic covers this up, I would consider trying the metal Stern ones if I had a minty cabinet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 12.99
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LongJohns.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside